Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EEOC and SSA tidbits

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

A couple links to gov sites with interesting info.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/psych.html

EEOC Enforcement Guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and Psychiatric Disabilities

"Since the Enforcement Guidance on the Americans with Disabilities Act and Psychiatric Disabilities was published, the Supreme Court has ruled that the determination of whether a person has an ADA "disability" must take into consideration whether the person is substantially limited in performing a major life activity when using a mitigating measure. This means that if a person has little or no difficulty performing any major life activity because s/he uses a mitigating measure, then that person will not meet the ADA's first definition of 'disability.' "

It's a rather long read.

http://www.ssa.gov/dsi/

A New Disabilty Determination Process

This one deals with the SSA's efforts to streamline the process of applying for disabilty...basically, no more two years waits for final determination sorta thing. Not a long read--but a good one. At the end it says it was "last reviewed or modified" on July 16 of this year, so it seems recent and therefore I take it as serious. So this seems good news. I am going to try to keep up on this.

I will keep poking around these sorts of things as I have time, interest, and of course--memory! If anybody happens to dig up anything of interest that is related, go ahead and post it--I am looking at things related to laws related to workplace disabilty rulings/regulations regarding mental disabilties, but only current or evolving facets of laws and regulations, and updates of SSA regulations and rules regarding, well, disability stuff. And case law pertaining to it.

Posted · Report post

thanks for this info, CNS.

this partially explains why my mom can't get SSDI, however doesn't excuse the wait she's had to go through. her lawyer should really be informed. i'll have that woman on the phone on monday!

Posted · Report post

CNS,

THANKS! This is great info!

Do you know if I can send this to a friend on CrazyBoards?

Posted · Report post

Well, they're links to gov info sites. Send away. Certainly the info contained therein is a lot deeper and more technical than I've outlined and one can dig farther into the Net to find out more, but this is a starting point.

I should note: at some point I do intend to get off my ass and root out more of this type of stuff. i just got bored at work one day...

Posted · Report post

Well, they're links to gov info sites. Send away. Certainly the info contained therein is a lot deeper and more technical than I've outlined and one can dig farther into the Net to find out more, but this is a starting point.

I should note: at some point I do intend to get off my ass and root out more of this type of stuff. i just got bored at work one day...

Posted · Report post

I imagine that this info. is very helpful to a lot of people. It can be very confusing. Thanks for being bored!!!

Posted · Report post

Have you noticed how unhelpful the SSA site is? They obviously want to hide behind glass windows and computer monitors.  Why aren't we assigned a case manager when we apply?  Why can't the CM tell us what we need, how our case is going, etc. Oh. There is a web page that you can type in a code but never answers how the case is going. What's the point?  They don't make it easy for Americans to utilize their benefits that they paid for.  Its not entitlement if I paid for it.  Grr.

Please keep us updated.

TJ's mom.

Posted · Report post

....I was assigned a case manager

Posted · Report post

Luna,

What state are you in?