Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Clonazepam for sleep

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I was just prescribes clonazepam (the generic one) for sleep. How does it fare compared to xanax/vallium? Is it stronger, more potent, or can I expect not to sleep again tonight? I was prescribed 2mg to take at bedtime.

Any replies before I take it would be very very welcome.

Edited to add: It's brand name is Ritrovil. I read in wikipedia that this is the Brand name here in Asia and Europe. Anyone tried this already? I read about the difference between generic and brand name Klonopin, but is Ritrovil, which is supposedly the equivalent of Klonopin here, just as good?

Edited by papertrees

Posted

I take 3mg at night for sleep and it works for me. I take the generic. Don't know about the comparison to Xanax and Valium as both are highly addictive.

Posted (edited)

I was just prescribes clonazepam (the generic one) for sleep. How does it fare compared to xanax/vallium? Is it stronger, more potent, or can I expect not to sleep again tonight? I was prescribed 2mg to take at bedtime.

I use to take 0.5-1mg of generic Clonazepam for sleep (worked well). If you take a look at the Benzo comparison chart (see attached - found link to file somewhere on this board), you can see the differences. Clonazepam is one potent benzo (mg for mg). I've been tapering and switching over to Valium (longer half life). They say 1 mg of Clonazepam = 20 mg of Valium, but I am having a rough time when I did the conversion over to Valium. Xanax, from what I can tell (never taken it) is a potent short half-life benzo (prone to rebound symptoms).

IMHO 2mg should more than do the job.

Note: before I got on the med WD bandwagon, I felt Clonazepam's half-life wasn't long enough (felt rebound symptoms before 12 hours were up). I was taking 0.5mg twice a day. The jury is still out on whether Valium will help me avoid rebound symptoms.

Hope you will get a good sleep, unlike myself. ;)

Benzodiazepine_20comparison_20chart.pdf

Edited by melli

Posted

A lot of people on here seem to be fans of clonazepam as a sleep aid. Considering its properties, it can make an excellent aid for the maintenance of sleep.

My experience was a bit different -- at the doses required for me to sleep well (4 mg), I'd get out of bed each morning and stagger about as if drunk (and I haven't touched alcohol for over a year!), and once this led to a fall whereby I banged the back of my head on a marble countertop, spun around, and then came down and banged the exact same spot on my head on a ceramic bathtub corner.

Turns out that the clonazepam, a central respiratory depressant, was giving me "central sleep apnea", i.e., I wasn't breathing enough at night and my brain was slightly starved of oxygen, making me a bit hung over in the morning.

Your ambulation may vary...

Posted

Klonopin is generally weaker than Xanax, but it lasts longer. Anything that relaxes you will help with falling asleep.. but with the benzo's you risk getting so used to it that you need a higher dose to do the same thing. If it's just for sleep I'd recommend trying other alternatives before using the benzos. Of course, you might have already tried that...

Posted

Thank you all for your replies. Since I posted this yesterday, I've been able to get 10 hours of sleep from Clonazepam. Im keeping a close watch on myself, though, because I tend to be on the addictive side. So there. Thank you!!!

Posted

My short experience with taking Clonazepam late in the day or for bed time resulted in tons of intense grogginess and trouble getting out of bed the next morning. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to sleep it off since I have two small children and I usually work full time (on medical leave for another week, though). My pdoc and I expected this side effect to go away within a few weeks of regular use, but it hasn't. A couple of days ago, we replaced 1mg of Clonazepam with 2mg of Ativan at bedtime, and it seems to be just a smidge better. Way less groggy, though still some trouble waking up enough to quit hitting snooze and actually leave the bed 2-3 hours later than planned. If this keeps up, I'm afraid benzos just won't be a good idea for my sleep routine. ;)

Posted (edited)

I like Klonopin because it doesn't make me feel hung over the next morning. I take .5-1mg, sometimes in the day for anxiety, sometimes at night for help falling asleep. It doesn't always help me stay asleep, so I'm taking Seroquel. I figure if I have to take something for bp, might as well make the most of the side effects of sleeping that Seroquel gives.

Edited by FairlyOddParent

Posted

I tried a lot of benzos and Klonopin is one of those who has no effect on me.

So Klonopin, Serax (oxazepam) and Restoril (temazepam) just dont work at all for me.

Ativan, Xanax, Lexotan, (bromazepam) and Dalmane are the best I tried for both sleeping and GAD. (note , I dont recommend Dalmane, withdrawal symptoms are the worst I ever got).

I would say that the best sleeping pill I ever use is Imovane (zopiclone). You fell asleep in 30 min and you wake up 7 hours later in pefect shape ;) . But its not a benzo, so you cant use it for GAD unless you want to sleep 24/24.

Posted

i've taken ativan, xanax, and klonopin, and i'm sticking to the klonopin, both as an anti-anxiety agent and sleep aid. i sleep about 8-9 hours and wake up fine. if i get up at night i can go back to sleep without problems, and haven't hit my head on the sink or bathtub yet! ;)

Posted

Just a word of warning for those who use benzos for sleep - over the long term it might take higher and higher doses to make you sleepy - its quite easy for some to get sensitized to high doses - and it can be hard to get off of when you need to. Just something to take into consideration when you make your choices concerning insomnia treatment

Posted (edited)

I take 1 mg. of klonopin and 30 mg. of restoril in order to sleep. I'm fine by morning, but when the cat decides she wants breakfast at 3 AM, I am somewhat groggy and have to be very careful walking out to the kitchen so I don't bump into too many things (especially non-soft things).

Tommy

PS I also take 1 mg. of klonopin 3 X during the daytime.

Edited by Her Tommy