Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Keppra for pain?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

My Neurologist just prescribed Keppra for my chronic back pain. None of the research I've done on it lists it as  a chronic pain medication, but I've already had problems with his favorite medicine (Topamax - had an allergic reaction to it) and never even tried the Cymbalta (long story short, another doctor suggested I not take it until after I'd seen the neurologist in person to ask about it - the nurse just informed me over the phone that a prescription had been called in). So I'm hesitant to not take another one he's prescribed, but I also don't like taking something that's going to mess with my brain unless I have a good idea of what it's going to do to help me. When I asked the doctor, he just said it should help and never told me anything else about it.

So, I'm wondering if anyone else has take Keppra and if it had any pain relieving effects, or if he's at the point where he's prescribing anything now to see if it helps (I've had that happen before with other doctors). Plus, I'm concerned about it's emotional side effects. I think I read somewhere that it can make you angry, and that was an effect I had with Topamax and really didn't like...every time my pain would start going up, I'd get angrier and angrier and my family were the ones who had to bear with me.

Posted (edited)

losinghope,

Below are two conclusions from different studies re: Keppra (levetiracetam) use for chronic pain. I can't provide a link but the studies were found doing a medline search of "keppra" and "chronic pain" from the MedScape psychiatry homepage. You can register for MedScape for free.

http://www.medscape.com

Hope this helps soem.

Erika

CONCLUSIONS: In these 3 case studies, levetiracetam was demonstrated to be an effective therapy in the treatment of neuropathic pain. It has the benefits of a low incidence of adverse events and an improvement in patients' sleep.

CONCLUSIONS: Based on preliminary data, oxcarbazepine, topiramate, zonisamide, and levetiracetam may be useful in the treatment of a wide variety of neuropathic pain syndromes, although full publication of the results of controlled trials is awaited. These agents are associated with specific adverse effects not commonly monitored by clinicians. Of the 4, levetiracetam appears to be easiest to use (ie, no need for dose adjustment in organ dysfunction, no need for laboratory monitoring) and best tolerated, and has not been associated with the unique toxicities seen with oxcarbazepine, topiramate, and zonisamide. The ultimate role of these agents in the therapeutic armamentarium against pain requires further research and experience. In the interim, these 4 agents should be used to treat neuropathic pain in the elderly only when carbamazepine, gabapentin, or lamotrigine cannot be used or when the response to the aforementioned agents is suboptimal.

Edited by Erika

Posted

Thanks for doing the research. I don't know why I didn't think about googling keppra and chronic pain. I'll chalk it up to the brain fog I've been under for the past while. ;)

I finally started taking it. So far I can't tell anything, but maybe after I've taken it for a few weeks it will make a difference. We'll see.

Thanks again,

Hope :)

Posted

Have you responded yet?  I'm always interested in something that would work both for my pain and my BP.

Thanks.

Posted

Keppra seems to maybe help my back pain and jaw pain a bit, but that could be by preventing me from doing quite as many strange things I might be doing in my sleep, I don't know.

What I *have* noticed, strangely enough, is what could possibly be Keppra's other drug interaction (aside from the Tegretol one)...that, or there's something funky about the bottle of Robaxacet I've been using.  It seems to make Robaxacet work way better than it otherwise would - as in actually making pain stop, rather than putting a tiny half-assed dent in it before I take something stronger!  Granted, I'm not getting hardcore full-on migraines or anything at the moment, but it actually *does something*, rather than the barely-anything-but-still-better-than-nothing I'm used to getting from it.  It also makes me feel kinda stoned (not good-stoned, not like opioids or anything) and off-balance, but the dizziness beats the hell out of the pain it's been taking care of.

But maybe there was a problem at the Robaxacet factory when the only bottle I've been using since being on the Keppra was made, I'm really not sure.  But if you're on Keppra, still hurting, have no reason to not take Robaxacet, and don't care about feeling mildly zonked, and you try it, report back on whether it does the same thing to you...

Posted

Wife takes a hefty dose of Keppra for neuropathic pain and migraines. It + Cymbalta has really helped a good bit.

Posted

Wife takes a hefty dose of Keppra for neuropathic pain and migraines. It + Cymbalta has really helped a good bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take Keppra to control Jacksonian Seizures.  My neuro decided to reduce my dosage a few months back.  A month after the reduction (only reduced by 500mg),  I was seizure free but I began having massive headaches.  Actually, it was one headache/face ache that lasted 9 days. Aside from the garden variety hangover/sinus situation, I never had a headache problem.  My neuro ordered an MRI to rule out anything other than migraines (my history is bizarre, brain-wise).  The films were fine.  He upped my Keppra again and the headaches disappeared.  When I started Keppra I did get the dreaded RAGE, but it lasted only a month or so.  Long story short (my story, anyway):  Keppra does work on pain as well as seizures.  I love it.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take Keppra to control Jacksonian Seizures.

Posted

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take Keppra to control Jacksonian Seizures.

Posted

My pain management Dr just prescribed it to me for my chronic pain too..... gotta try anything at this point! Good luck to you!