Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

193 posts in this topic

Daniel Silva's first book in teh Gabriel Allon series...I can't remember the title.  There are 20 something of them and I've read the earlier ones before, but I've forgotten them enough that I' starting at the beginning, even if pieces will be familiar.

1 person likes this

"The Cruelest Miles" - about dogsled teams in Alaska in the 1920's who had to go snatch up medicine for dying children in an isolated community. Very riveting, compelling, and informative about future and the way of life at the time. I recommend it. It has good reviews on Amazon, too. 

The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes. The first half is history, and it's rather interesting to see how things played out. 

Julie Barton's new memoir Dog Medicine: How My Dog Saved Me From Myself, 

This book tells the story about the author's where depression and how her dog saved her. 

A very good read

1 person likes this

"Thin" by Grace Bowman. A memoir of surviving anorexia.

Surviving Schizophrenia: A Family Manual

I can't find anything good on schizoaffective disorder; this was the closest I could get. It's incredible how much of what I'm reading I can relate to.

Grunt, by Mary Roach.

Posted (edited)

I've just started reading "The Housekeeper and The Professor" by Yoko Ogawa. It's about a housekeeper who is assigned to take care of a ex-Maths professor who suffered a brain injury, giving him essentially an 80 minute memory. He takes her ten year old son under his wing and helps her to learn how to properly take care of him. I love the writing style and the characters are brilliant.

Edited by theredthread

Sounds fascinating!

I'm in the middle of 32 Yolks, a memoir from a chef, Eric Ripert. Also about to start (finally!) the Earthsea Series by Ursula LeGuin with Wizard of Earthsea.

I think I've got two more audio books from the library I've been waiting for, but I don't recall what they are at the moment.

Now I am reading "The Deadly Percheron" for the "Unreliable Narrator" section of my Popsugar 2017 Reading Challenge list. Almsot done! I've owned this book for quite some time and it is always a good read.

I'll have to try Wizard of Earthsea again some other time. It didn't grab me.

On to The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold

Just finished reading "insane consequences ". It goes into the story that funds are being used to treat people with Brhavioral Science and "wellness. These programs are geared to  mild cases and the likes of people who see Big Pharma's commercials which are those with situational illnesses.

funds are not used for serious MI's even though they can prove this population will respond.

a good read!

The Moth, which is a collection of true short stories (with an introduction by Neil Gaiman -- why not?).  They were originally performed by a group of people who has experienced incredible things and had been helped to write and to tell them.  One was about a man from Arizona who was wrongly imprisoned for several years and put on death row at the age of 18.

1 person likes this

Once Upon a Time in the North by Philip Pullman, a short story in the His Dark Materials universe. I'm gearing up for The Book of Dust.

Edited by saintalto

On the Move - Biography by Oliver Sacks (the famous physician, best-selling author, and prof of neurology at NYU). Well-known for his neurological case histories, including The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat...

Super interesting. He's such an amazing researcher, details the adventures of his personal life, passions, and obsessions with the brain.

Edited by Blahblah
1 person likes this