CrazyBoards.org

Raquin

What books are you currently reading?

Finished Bounded Choice (most days I only read during my lunch break, and I was in Boston for 2 weeks in August);  Started reading 'Utulei, My Tongan Home by Patricia Ledyard.

In the Jaws of the Black Dog by John Bentley Mays. memoir about living with depression. i'm really enjoying his writing. the book is interspersed with his diary entries through his life, which are a treat.

just finished Lights On, Rats Out by Cree LeFavour, another memoir, documenting her experience under the care of a psychiatrist who helped her immensely when she got stuck in a habit of burning herself with cigarettes. this one i liked less than i hoped (sort of boring?) but still worth reading.

• Like 1

The Cow In The Parking Lot, A Zen Approach To Overcoming Anger. 

Life changing and something I actually look forward to continuing without grudge. 

I’m sure with my memory I’ll have to read it many times over though. 

Edited by DammitJanet

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This is my fourth time reading it, it’s one of my favorite books, sort of a bizarre series of events regarding a freshmen group of friends at college. 

Edited by Rabbit37

Walking to Martha's Vineyard by Franz Wright. poetry collection about mental illness, seeing beauty in the world, and daddy issues. he was bipolar and experienced psychosis. i like it so far.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, echolocation said:

Walking to Martha's Vineyard by Franz Wright. poetry collection about mental illness, seeing beauty in the world, and daddy issues. he was bipolar and experienced psychosis. i like it so far.

I’ll have to check this one out as soon as I get through another self help book or two.

Sounds good. 

4 hours ago, Rabbit37 said:

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. This is my fourth time reading it, it’s one of my favorite books, sort of a bizarre series of events regarding a freshmen group of friends at college. 

From the title, at first I thought the book was about the Deep State or something.

I'm trying to find a book I don't need to concentrate to hard on or short stories. Just ordered 'The complete works of Saki'.  Now I kind of want to order goosebumps books or something along those lines. 

@Raspberry roald dahl, aside from being a terrific children's author, wrote plenty of unsettling thriller/suspense type short stories. you mentioned goosebumps so i thought i'd mention it as a grown-up alternative! steven king short stories are entertaining as well, but i found them more the kind where if you skim a bit, you don't miss too much. i'm quite fond of rereading kids' series, though. they're easy and fun. :-)

i don't know if you like graphic novels, but they're nice if you don't have a lot of concentration. i read a lot of them in a period where i didn't read many novels.

@DammitJanet the nice thing about poetry is that it's a quick read, unless you do a lot of analysis. maybe a stopover between self-help books?

• Like 2

I'm reading Furiously Happy, it's good. I do like her as a person and I like her philosophy of life and her hobbies but the comedy is kind of repetitive so I would like if someone could just earmark the chapters about mental health for me so I could skip the rest heh, ah well it's a quick read and the chapters are short and I do probably laugh out loud once every 2 chapters so what am I being so fussy for?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, echolocation said:

@Raspberry roald dahl, aside from being a terrific children's author, wrote plenty of unsettling thriller/suspense type short stories. you mentioned goosebumps so i thought i'd mention it as a grown-up alternative! steven king short stories are entertaining as well, but i found them more the kind where if you skim a bit, you don't miss too much. i'm quite fond of rereading kids' series, though. they're easy and fun. :-)

I think a while back I read an adult Roald Dahl story where a woman kills her husband with a leg of lamb. He also wrote some pretty odd poetry. I love Steven king in my teens but haven't read anything by him in years.

On 27/09/2018 at 4:12 PM, Raspberry said:

I think a while back I read an adult Roald Dahl story where a woman kills her husband with a leg of lamb. He also wrote some pretty odd poetry. I love Steven king in my teens but haven't read anything by him in years.

I remember reading that. She kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then cooks it and feeds the evidence to the police when they turn up. The perfect crime! There was also a short story which involved gambling and cutting off fingers. I loved reading Roald Dahl books as a kid but not all his stories are for children.

4 minutes ago, Fluent In Silence said:

I remember reading that. She kills her husband with a frozen leg of lamb and then cooks it and feeds the evidence to the police when they turn up. The perfect crime! There was also a short story which involved gambling and cutting off fingers. I loved reading Roald Dahl books as a kid but not all his stories are for children.

I think I've seen an episode of the Alfred Hitchcock TV show with that story.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fluent In Silence said:

Yep that's the one. I vaguely remember it coming free with something. Some of his poems aren't either suitable for kids either. There is one in revolting rhymes called "physical education". Pretty sure teachers aren't supposed to behave like that. I definitely think regressing into childhood literature is the way to go. I loved to read as a kid. I rarely do it now. 

• Like 1

Lawrence in Arabia by Scott Anderson. “War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the making of the Modern Middle East.”  Highly engaging account of events leading up to WWI in Europe and the near east. Good read for history buffs or anyone who wants a better understanding of today’s issues.