Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How long will a single dose Valium last?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

So yeah how many hours do Valium work?

Wiki quote:

Diazepam has a half-life (t1/2α) of 20

Posted

Depends. Most common figures I have seen say it has between 50 to 100hr halflife. Some metabolites (eg nordazepam) last longer, and some medications slows down elimination, giving it a 200hr half-life. But yes, Valium is a long-acting benzo by any measure.

Lots of people take it daily. Different shrinks would have different opinion on this, but generally, the correct answer is that they should only be used as-needed and occasionally.

You might want to check out the other recent question I posted on the benzos board, re: addiction.

raining

Posted

Depends. Most common figures I have seen say it has between 50 to 100hr halflife. Some metabolites (eg nordazepam) last longer, and some medications slows down elimination, giving it a 200hr half-life. But yes, Valium is a long-acting benzo by any measure.

Lots of people take it daily. Different shrinks would have different opinion on this, but generally, the correct answer is that they should only be used as-needed and occasionally.

You might want to check out the other recent question I posted on the benzos board, re: addiction.

raining

I meant do the effects last all day if taken in the morning?

Posted (edited)

Only one way to find out...

Edited by raining

Posted

raining

With me they last up to half a day... YMMV

Posted

It depends on the person, I believe. I take it at night and it completely wipes me out. Therefore I can't take it during the day. I'm only on it short term though (from an ER visit) and by morning I'm back to my "usual" self.

Posted

I personally take 10mg of Valium twice a day, usually early morning and early afternoon. The initial relaxation and calmness that the Valium provides me usually only lasts up to about 4 hours, after that I notice I become edgy, stutter more and fiddle around alot. However if I miss a dose, I can still feel the effects of the drug for a couple of days, although at a greatly reduced effect.