Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seroquel XR versus Seroquel Regular

43 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey guys,

I am about to switch to seroquel XR from the regular. It is being released tomorrow in Australia for the first time.

Has anyone noticed any differences between the two - did you gain or lose some things when you made the switch to XR?

I myself am worried i won't sleep if the seroquel doesn't peak at bedtime.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pamito ;)

Posted · Report post

Yes, I have changed, the first day the effect of the med is increased. One week on, I take the med at 9.30pm and go to bed at 10.30 / 11pm. The restless feeling some people get with the regular Seroquel has gone. I feel that the XR version is more effective but does require the usual time for the body to adjust to the change in medication level.

Posted · Report post

Thankyou for your reply - I am glad someone replied! It didn't agree with me at all, but I am glad it worked for you. ;)

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I am about to start the XR version. Not entirely happy with the normal version but was hoping it was better for controlling mood swings during the day as I seem to be relying on Diazepam for this (albeit a tiny dose).

Any other experiences?

How did it affect you , Pamito? Do you have to titrate up as if you have started a new drug?

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Funny thing...I was on regular Seroquel for years without a problem. My doses went from 50 mg to 500 mg per day and everywhere in between without so much as a real hiccup and things seemed to move along smoothly.

Last fall, after a bit of a rough patch, my pdoc put me on the new Seroquel XR and things went all to hell. Within 48 hours of starting it I had two siezures (never happened before) and was unable to stand without assistance. The doctors thought I had a TIA at first and did not even think it could be the XR. For two more days I took it and suffered major dizzy spells and black outs.

The funny thing is that here in Canada there is no information about this sort of reaction on the drug information sheets or the books. I had to find the information on a US-based site to show my doctors that this was "rare" side effect/reaction. I found it really weird that I took Seroquel for years without a problem, yet the XR nearly killed me in a matter of days.

Oddly enough, I talked to a fellow patient a few weeks later who swears by XR and says it is the best thing that happened to her. She has lost weight and feels much better on this medication than on regular Seroquel.

Now my only problem is that my doctor does not want to give me regular Seroquel anymore either, feeling I may have developed an overall allergy. Time to find a new drug to calm me in those times of general wackiness.

Posted · Report post

god, that sounds horrible!

I am on it now and the one thing I have to say that has made the best difference for me is that I don't get the tachycardia or oppressive feeling/restlessness within half an hour of taking it that i got with the regular one. That used to scare me as it had a semi-psychotic feel to it.

It's gone and it means a lot.

Posted · Report post

Anyone know if its available in the UK yet?

Posted · Report post

Anyone know if its available in the UK yet?

Yes, it is! Since the end of last year , I believe.

Referred to as Seroquel MR by some (which means modified release - same thing, though).

Posted · Report post

I started with 150mg IR and 150mg XR, my previous dose was 300mg IR at night.

Then one month later, 200 XR and 100 IR at night.

Now I take 200 XR and 50 IR, the IR prepares me sleep.

The total lower dose seems more effective than the 300 IR.

The knock out effect has gone, now I feel like normal sleep at night.

The new XR Seroquel is very different to the IR version with no knock out at night.

It should have been released earlier.

Posted · Report post

Wow, good to hear some at least are doing well with it. I asked my p-doc about it, just out of curiosity (after reading about it here actually LOL), and he laughed & said he did not know why the hell anyone would want the effects of Seroquel all day!

I thought that was funny, but I guess reading some of the feedback here he maybe hasn't done his research on it, which is a shame if it might help some of his patients.

Posted · Report post

Just a follow up. I am now on Seroquel XR 300mg at night after begin on Seroquel for 5 years.

The transfer to the XR version took about 6 months. A long and slow taper to the new version.

A sudden switch did not work for me, on my dose of 300mg at night.

Returning to normal sleep patterns takes time.

Mornings now are OK for me.

Posted · Report post

Hi!

I am about to start the XR version. Not entirely happy with the normal version but was hoping it was better for controlling mood swings during the day as I seem to be relying on Diazepam for this (albeit a tiny dose).

Any other experiences?

How did it affect you , Pamito? Do you have to titrate up as if you have started a new drug?

Thanks!

I HAVE BEEN ON REGULAR SEROQUEL FOR 5 WEEKS NOW AND I SLEEP FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME AND WHEN I WAKE UP I AM IMMEDIATLY PISSED OF OR MAJORLY FRAZZELED LIKE ONE OF THOSE HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME FEELING. I HAVE HAD PAINS IN MY ABDOMIN AND PELVIC PAINS AND I NO LONGER HAVE MY UTERUS , CRAMP FEELINGS IN MY LEGS I BARELY EAT AND SWEAT 10 TIMES MORE THAN I DID, MY MANIC EPISODES ARE OFF THE WALL LIKE THE MEDS ARE NOT HELPING ME

Posted · Report post

I just wanted to responed with the experience I had with a loved one who took seroquel xr, 150mg per day. This loved one was put on this medication in attempt to control his manger management & VERY bad temper. He began taking it on a Wednesday, On Thursday his mood & temper was worse, by Sunday I left the house & refused to come back because it had gotten SO bad! I just want everyone to know not to give up hope. Not every medication is right for every person. Hang in there, I know from experience its HARD! I'm still going through it with this love one, & I pray to God that we get the medicaion that works VERY soon! Best of luck to everyone having to go through this, put your faith in God! Real quick, my mom always tells me "God never gives you more than you can handle". Its hard to believe at times, but once you accomplish whatever it is you need to accomplish, you look back & see that it is true! GOOD LUCK & GOD BLESS ALL!

Posted · Report post

To be honest, I have found this medication to be a pill form of evil. It is one of many thrown at me and in my top two worst ever. This is the one that made me walk into a door and lose an entire day. This is also the one that left a friend of mine face down on a laundramat floor. Why she was at a laundramat, why she was at that one, how she'd gotten there, how she ended up on the floor and how long she'd been there? Not a clue. I have another friend paying $550/month to take regular seroquel rather than free samples of XR.

If it works for some people, great. But, in my opinion, it should be pulled from the market.

Posted · Report post

I liked Seroquel XR more than Seroquel IR. XR didn't make me tired all day after I got through the first week.

I was on 300mg a day I think. I was able to take it all in the morning.

I was taking it for auditory and visual hallucinations. Along with Zyprexa.

YMMV.

Posted · Report post

I'm on 400mg of XR. Had some side effects like cramps in my legs and a loss of appetite for a week or two. They all past.

I sleep normal hours and aren't tired through the day, although if I forget to take it at night I can't sleep and I'm wide awake, until I realise that I forgot to take my meds. I literally won't sleep a min until I take it but at least now I realise when I'm in bed and can't sleep, I know what's going on.

Posted · Report post

I tried XR but I didn't like it at all.

I felt a numbness on that medicine I've never felt before, even on the regular seroquel.

Posted · Report post

I'm on 400mg of XR. Had some side effects like cramps in my legs and a loss of appetite for a week or two. They all past.

I sleep normal hours and aren't tired through the day, although if I forget to take it at night I can't sleep and I'm wide awake, until I realise that I forgot to take my meds. I literally won't sleep a min until I take it but at least now I realise when I'm in bed and can't sleep, I know what's going on.

I just took the first pill of XR. Since my diagnosis is now clear I can get it for 100% discount (mental illnesses get 100% in Estonia), so a good thing to my family!!

Looking forward to compare the effects ;)

Posted · Report post

Hey guys,

I am about to switch to seroquel XR from the regular. It is being released tomorrow in Australia for the first time.

Has anyone noticed any differences between the two - did you gain or lose some things when you made the switch to XR?

I myself am worried i won't sleep if the seroquel doesn't peak at bedtime.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pamito ;)

I take both. 900mg XR and 100mg regular up to three times a day prn.

The 100 mg starts working a lot faster and is very helpful with anxiety and the negative symptoms I have. It also helps with sleep, I often take 100mg of the regular at bedtime with the 900mg XR so I can get to sleep. I've had several episodes of psychosis where I remember nothing of it other than waking up on the psych unit. Since being on so much Seroquel I have not had to go to the hospital. But I did have to go to the crisis house for 10 day stays a number of times. So, it doesn't work as well as I wish it would but it does seem to keep me from getting so acutely psychotic.

Posted · Report post

To be honest, I have found this medication to be a pill form of evil. It is one of many thrown at me and in my top two worst ever. This is the one that made me walk into a door and lose an entire day. This is also the one that left a friend of mine face down on a laundramat floor. Why she was at a laundramat, why she was at that one, how she'd gotten there, how she ended up on the floor and how long she'd been there? Not a clue. I have another friend paying $550/month to take regular seroquel rather than free samples of XR.

If it works for some people, great. But, in my opinion, it should be pulled from the market.

Posted · Report post

I started on Seroquel XR about 2 weeks ago. The initial dose was 50mg taken in the afternoon for three days and then moved up to 150mg.

I'd been on Seroquel IR before and boy it was hell. It was how I would imagine the date rape drug would be- I'd take it and within the hour I'd be knocked out with no memory of really going to sleep. Apparently it also made my appetite really bad- whenever it started kicking in there were many nights where I'd beg my husband to drive me to McDonalds because I wanted to eat sooo bad. Sometimes I'd wake up with food in the bed or even worse half chewed in my mouth. Funny thinking about it, but the sedation was too severe. I was late for work over 90 minutes a few occasions.

But uhhh....back to what I was originally going to say. Seroquel XR- pretty much no sedation IF I make sure to take it on an empty stomach. Taking it with food pretty much negates the XR effect and turns it more into IR. I had to stop Saphris for muscle tightness and issues. Seroquel XR so far is pretty much side effect free. Aside from sometimes being in a fog when taking it, it's OK.

Now effectiveness...it leaves me more on the depressed side. I'm stable, but my baseline lingers towards being depressed. It's not the same as my bipolar or borderline depression. It is more of a "I don't really care to do anything" feeling. I play more video games for hours at a time and even watch TV (I am not a TV person...commercials usually grate my nerves and everything is too fast paced). This is somewhat bothersome because I am (or should I say was even) an artist- have been all my life. I don't know if years of medication or just a severe swing triggered my inability to enjoy drawing or motivation or what.

I mean, for controlling swings it works, just not in the way which is ideal. Abilify is my PERFECT drug in effectiveness. I'm motivated, actually frequently happy, level and overall good on it. BUT it makes my eyesight horribly blurred. I had to stop it sadly.... Saphris would be my number two drug- not as much motivation as Abilify but it kept me somewhat level and kept the depression away. But dystonic side effects happened.

I think my target dose might be 300 mg OR I might stay at 150mg and add an antidepressant.

Posted · Report post

Jus been diagnosed and I'm researching seroquel my pdoc Is prescribing me wit the xr I need to kno by someone who is new to the whole seroquel thang how it would affect me?

Posted · Report post

NEED SOME FLIPPIN ADVISE!! DAMN... anyone out there who knows from my stand point... new to any anti-depressants? What side effects would there be if im put on 200mg of SEROQUEL XR? my pdoc didnt tell me much......? shit late for work..... please reply =]

Posted · Report post

I have been taking Seroquel for about 6 yrs. and have been mostly stable for about 2-3 yrs. *knocks on wood* I'm on medicaid and they don't pay for the reg ser. so now I have to take XR. I start tonight and am wondering what the diff. will be: SE, wt. gain, etc. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" Well, that's gone out the window. Because of medicaid issues, I haven't taken seroquel for about 5 days. No sleep, no eat, somewhat batty, clinging to ceiling issues. Any idea what it will be like going from ser. reg. to xr?

Posted · Report post

I take seroquel 50 mg. What is the difference if I switch to seroquel xr? Do they do the same thing and work the same way? Will I have any side effects from making this change? I take one seroquel 50mg every night and it helps me get to sleep, no problems in the morning, but it is $153.00 for 30 and just too expensive to purchase. I can get samples of the seroquel XR and would like to do so, any problems you forsee? Natalie Lang natalieslang@cox.net 602-717-8677