Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

anybody on high doses (300mg+) of lamictal?

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi everyone

Yesterday I saw my pdoc and he was pleased that Lamictal is starting to have an effect for me. He wants me to increase my dose up to 300mg and possibly up to 400 or 500! I tend to need big doses of psych meds, but this makes me a little nervous because of cognitive side effects. Anybody on high doses? Do you have cognitive problems or any other side effects?

Thanks a lot,

P

Posted · Report post

I've taken 400mg/day for well over a year now and honestly haven't noticed any specific cognitive effects related to this. It's the lithium that's knocked me on my ass as far as this kind of thing goes.

Posted · Report post

On 500mg for seizures. From my knowledge, Lamictal isn't therapuetic for mood disorders at high doses and 500mg is the highest dosage from what my neurologist says.

Talk to you doctor about this.

As far as side effects, I don't have any problems with it at all.

Posted · Report post

Only on 300 mg, but no cognitive SEs. Twitchy peripheral vision, but that's minor. Life is good. Good luck!

Posted · Report post

Four months ago, my pdoc moved me up from 300 - 400 mg. of Lamictal. I am never sure which of my meds cause my cognitive problems, but the Lamictal really helps me to remain stable. I saw my pdoc yesterday morning and she thinks the increase in Lamictal kept me from getting too depressed from a bad situation at work (they cut another of my staff, so now it is just me and my clerk to run a whole department).

Tommy

Posted · Report post

Yesterday I saw my pdoc and he was pleased that Lamictal is starting to have an effect for me.

I am on 350 of lamictal and going higher eventually. My pdoc has ordered a test to test for serum levels of Lamictal. I'm a 4 now and 18 is really high. She said that we should shoot for a 6 on this scale (I have no idea what the unit of measurement is). So maybe we'll go up to 400. I agree with mika in that the therapeutic dose is between 300 and 500. But ymmv, of course -- Andrew

Posted · Report post

At 400mg now, have been for a few years. Did try 600mg at some point in time, helped a bit more, though made for some nasty skin and nail side effects, so went back down to 400. Apparently sex hormones (testosterone/Ts, estrogens, estradiol, etc.) really tend to mess with this drug and part of the reason I need so much of the stuff is that I have very low Ts levels due to genetic issues. Might be getting Ts replacement therapy and that will probably require me tapering down the Lamictal. We'll see how that one goes.

Posted · Report post

LikeMinded, thank you for that post. My mood took a major nose dive this week and I was extremely discouraged. After reading your post, I remember that the menstrual cycle can have a big influence on lamictal, which is why it seems to have stopped working now.

Posted · Report post

I am also on 400 mg. of Lamictal and have no bad side-effects. I was just increased from 300 to 400 in May, because my pdoc wanted to "put a floor under my depression." I have gone through some difficulties at work lately and it seems the Lamictal really helped; no crying or deep depression. Anyway, my pdoc says that is probably what is helping me.

Tommy

Posted · Report post

I've been on 300 mgs for a while now with no problems.