Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Marya Hornbacher- Madness A Bipolar Life

21 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've read this book 10 times at least and i still am bowled ove by the simplist things inthere that remind me of me

Posted · Report post

It's a good one.

Really the only reason I picked it up was b/c of her previous memoir "Wasted" (having to do w/eating disorders). That book hit home hardcore...and was the only book on ED's (specifically Anorexia) that made me slap myself in the face yelling "get it together!"

Anyway, I picked up the book before I was d/x with possible Bipolar and ... wow... it was like rereading yet another one of my journals.

She's good. She made anorexia and being bipolar both sound very unglamorous. Far too many books having to do w/mental illness glamorize it. Especially books on ED's. More than half of them made me want to continue to be anorexic and/or offered loads of tips.

Anyway, she's a cool lady. I'm grateful for both of her books.

Posted · Report post

I recently saw this book in the store and wondered about it. I read wasted and agree that it's one of the few ED books that didn't sort of egg me on to continue with my own ED. Her writing is compelling and personal and hit home so much. After the good reviews here, I think i have to read this one.

Posted · Report post

Her writing is incredible. Wasted and Madness are AMAZING books, amazing reads, whether you're suffering from an ED or Bipolar, or not.

I read it, and now I'm passing it to people close to me so they may get some kind of understanding of what goes on with me.

Posted · Report post

absolutely agree!

Posted · Report post

I couldn't put it down! But some parts were almost painful for me to read. I felt myself getting wound up and unable to go to bed. I even cried a couple times because I identified with her so much. I haven't read an autobiographical account of bipolar that was so real to me. It did make me a little down after reading it...kind of hopeless for myself for a couple of days. Great book for me.

Oreo

Posted · Report post

I too really identified with this book. As others have written, she does not make bipolar into something glamorous, and for that i truly admire her writing. Her first book, Wasted, was also an excellent read and a real wake up call to me when i was in the depths of my own eating disorder.

Posted · Report post

I read this book twice, but years ago. I'll have to find it and read it again. She's definitely one of my favorite authors. Wasted is an excellent book as well.

Posted · Report post

I've read both wasted and madness, from suffering from both. Her fiction work, Center of Winter, is also very good

Posted · Report post

i like Madness, but much prefered Terri Cheney's Manic.

Posted · Report post

Marya Hornbacher is my favourite author. I'm looking forward to her new novel that's on the way!

Posted · Report post

Marya Hornbacher is my favourite author. I'm looking forward to her new novel that's on the way!

What is the name of her new novel?

I too loved Madness. It really didn't glamorize bipolar at all but showed it as the illness that it truly is. I have read it twice.

Posted · Report post

The title hasn't been released yet. The only information that has is that she is in the process of writing it and is close to finishing. 

Marya Hornbacher is the author of two best-selling nonfiction titles, Madness: A Bipolar Life and Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia; the recovery handbook Sane: Mental Illness, Addiction, and the 12 Steps; and the critically acclaimed novel The Center of Winter. She is currently working on a new novel and is active in the Twin Cities recovery community.

It says this on her website.

Posted · Report post

The title hasn't been released yet. The only information that has is that she is in the process of writing it and is close to finishing. 

Marya Hornbacher is the author of two best-selling nonfiction titles, Madness: A Bipolar Life and Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia; the recovery handbook Sane: Mental Illness, Addiction, and the 12 Steps; and the critically acclaimed novel The Center of Winter. She is currently working on a new novel and is active in the Twin Cities recovery community.

It says this on her website.

Thanks! I'll have to check out her website too! And I'm currently re reading Madness again.

Posted · Report post

Madness is an incredible read! She has a blog connected to her website, but unfortunately she was a really inconsistent blogger so she sort of just gave it up a year or two ago. You can still take a look at her blog archive, though, if you're interested. I used to find it really neat to be able to get updates from her day-to-day life. Especially after reading all of her memoirs/non-fiction accounts, you really feel like you have an intimate connection with her (or at least I did/still do). She's an awesome lady. I've heard she'll even respond to personal emails, but I've never verified that for myself. Too shy.

Posted · Report post

I liked it too.

Posted · Report post

I loved Madness, first read it about a year ago and have read it three times since. Wasted has been on my list since then, and I finally ordered it last week and it's arrived today! Can't wait to read it. I love her writing. Next I'll have to check out her novel.

Posted · Report post

I'm currently reading Madness for the first time, and it's insane how much I identify with her, even though I have bipolar II. Her descriptions of mania and hypomania are spot on. I can relate to her racing thoughts, trying to slow them down with cutting and especially her intense productivity while manic. Really a good read. 

Posted · Report post

I'm currently reading Madness for the first time, and it's insane how much I identify with her, even though I have bipolar II. Her descriptions of mania and hypomania are spot on. I can relate to her racing thoughts, trying to slow them down with cutting and especially her intense productivity while manic. Really a good read. 

I know! Isn't it amazing how much a lot of us can relate to her bp symptoms? It is not a sugar coated candy bipolar can be great if you try, book. next time someone suggests to me that bp can be easily managed and is basically a wimp's way out of doing things, I think I'll throw this book at them! Lol

Posted · Report post

I know! Isn't it amazing how much a lot of us can relate to her bp symptoms? It is not a sugar coated candy bipolar can be great if you try, book. next time someone suggests to me that bp can be easily managed and is basically a wimp's way out of doing things, I think I'll throw this book at them! Lol

I really enjoy that she doesn't glamorize the illness. I can't believe people have suggested to you that bipolar is an easy illness to manage. I have been incredibly lucky to find drugs that work and fairly quickly too. But it takes many of us years to find the right combination of meds to control this disease. If someone tried to make light of my bipolar, I'd be pissed. 

Posted · Report post

I just finished this book and loved it. I wish I could make my loved ones read it. I deal with pressure from alot of people who dont see it as a legitimate serious illness and I think im weak for being on meds. Id settle for them just reading the statistics at the end of the book.