• to help prevent psychosis
    • to stay in remission
    • to help prevent irritability
    • so my family or friends don't have to deal with the fallout
    • I don't want to lose my job / have to drop out of school
    • so I don't have to be hospitalized
    • I can't afford another spending spree
    • so I don't have to apologize to a lot of people afterward
    • to help prevent other symptoms (obsessions/compulsions, etc)
    • to stay functional (can leave the house, etc)
    • because I don't want the same thing that happened last time to happen again
    • to help prevent self-injury
    • so that I'm not dead
    • so that I can sleep
    • additional reasons (put in post if you like)
  2. 2. Why do you stay on meds even if they're not fully working?

• I'm still less crazy than I am without them
    • The benefits outweigh the side effects
    • They work better than the last set of meds
    • see above reasons
    • additional reasons (put in post if you like)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

241 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Reason for staying on meds ... when you are threatened by pdoc to go IP if not taking a dose they choose, and for no reason increase it ... even though the dose they choose is increased because they want the control, and forcing (me) to take it or I go IP.  Really fucked up situation right now.

I myself would get a new pdoc in that situation...

2 minutes ago, Closure said:

I myself would get a new pdoc in that situation...

Unfortunately that isn't an option right now.  I've weighed the pros and cons with some people and we all agree that it wouldn't be worth changing. (ie, what if the new pdoc didnt' prescribe the meds I am on now, in the doses I am on now, because she doesn't think I need them, or whatever.  I would go through hell without meds).  And then with a new pdoc, would I have to become psychotic to prove I am psychotic and have SZA along with the other diagnoses?  Because I am doing ok now, but take me off of meds and I am screwed.  So I don't want to have to do that to prove things.  And shit like that.  It has been a long and drawn out situation, and I am hoping it will end soon.  I have so much to say about this, but if I write it over again (some people know about this) I will just be stressed out more than I am now.

I have another appt this Thursday, so will see how it goes.

3 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Unfortunately that isn't an option right now.  I've weighed the pros and cons with some people and we all agree that it wouldn't be worth changing. (ie, what if the new pdoc didnt' prescribe the meds I am on now, in the doses I am on now, because she doesn't think I need them, or whatever.  I would go through hell without meds).  And then with a new pdoc, would I have to become psychotic to prove I am psychotic and have SZA along with the other diagnoses?  Because I am doing ok now, but take me off of meds and I am screwed.  So I don't want to have to do that to prove things.  And shit like that.  It has been a long and drawn out situation, and I am hoping it will end soon.  I have so much to say about this, but if I write it over again (some people know about this) I will just be stressed out more than I am now.

I have another appt this Thursday, so will see how it goes.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this Melissa. I can only imagine how stressful that would be. I hope that your appointment on Thursday is productive. Im thinking  of you and take care of yourself. You certainly don't want to relapse

30 minutes ago, rowan77 said:

I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this Melissa. I can only imagine how stressful that would be. I hope that your appointment on Thursday is productive. Im thinking  of you and take care of yourself. You certainly don't want to relapse

Thanks, rowan.  Thanks for thinking of me.  It has been very stressful over the past month or so. 

As long as I am on current meds, I should be fine.  But if I have to find another pdoc (which as it stands now, I can't), but if I had to find another one and he sees that I look "ok" from the outside, I dont' want to have to go off of meds I am on at the current doses to prove a point, that I have SZA, among other diagnoses.  Plus my parents would flip if meds were changed, because I am doing well and all, and they dont want me to become psychotic again.

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

Thanks, rowan.  Thanks for thinking of me.  It has been very stressful over the past month or so. 

As long as I am on current meds, I should be fine.  But if I have to find another pdoc (which as it stands now, I can't), but if I had to find another one and he sees that I look "ok" from the outside, I dont' want to have to go off of meds I am on at the current doses to prove a point, that I have SZA, among other diagnoses.  Plus my parents would flip if meds were changed, because I am doing well and all, and they dont want me to become psychotic again.

I'm also sorry you are going through this Melissa, and I hope you have a good appointment on Thursday. I just want to say that "if" you had to change pdocs, I don't think you have to worry about them taking you off meds. Your medical history weighs more than how you appear at any given time. Doctors know that there is no cure for MI and that meds make people feel and look better. But I do hope that everything works out with your current pdoc because changing doctors is difficult.

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

I'm also sorry you are going through this Melissa, and I hope you have a good appointment on Thursday. I just want to say that "if" you had to change pdocs, I don't think you have to worry about them taking you off meds. Your medical history weighs more than how you appear at any given time. Doctors know that there is no cure for MI and that meds make people feel and look better. But I do hope that everything works out with your current pdoc because changing doctors is difficult.

Thank you.  I'm worried about one med that could be changed or taken away ... naltrexone.  Out of all my meds, the one I am most worried about is the naltrexone.  Currently, pdoc has me on 150/day (50/50/50), but it is one of the over the high limit meds that he has me on.  I can't survive on 2 pills; I have done an experiment and 2 doesn't do well after ... I tried it for 4-5 days, and even when I got refills from on-call pdoc, that pdoc was surprised that I was on 3  a day, not 2.  And stupidly I say "yes, I am on 3/day ... you can talk to my pdoc about it if you want to" (not said in a mean way).  Which I realize now was a stupid remark because I didn't want current pdoc to think, 'yeah, he's right ... let's go down in dose.  So another pdoc could easily drop the dose down.  And the only way to prove it is to go off of it, gain weight, then continue to gain weight because 2 still didn't work.

Anyway I mentioned this to pdoc about what the on-call DR commented on, and current pdoc has used it once as an example of something.  I am keeping myself under control now as to what I say around current pdoc.  About anything. 

On 14/11/2016 at 5:52 AM, melissaw72 said:

Thank you.  I'm worried about one med that could be changed or taken away ... naltrexone.  Out of all my meds, the one I am most worried about is the naltrexone.  Currently, pdoc has me on 150/day (50/50/50), but it is one of the over the high limit meds that he has me on.  I can't survive on 2 pills; I have done an experiment and 2 doesn't do well after ... I tried it for 4-5 days, and even when I got refills from on-call pdoc, that pdoc was surprised that I was on 3  a day, not 2.  And stupidly I say "yes, I am on 3/day ... you can talk to my pdoc about it if you want to" (not said in a mean way).  Which I realize now was a stupid remark because I didn't want current pdoc to think, 'yeah, he's right ... let's go down in dose.  So another pdoc could easily drop the dose down.  And the only way to prove it is to go off of it, gain weight, then continue to gain weight because 2 still didn't work.

Anyway I mentioned this to pdoc about what the on-call DR commented on, and current pdoc has used it once as an example of something.  I am keeping myself under control now as to what I say around current pdoc.  About anything. 

I.. Yeah, I'm really sorry you're going through this, it sounds hellishly stressful. I can relate wrt having to control what you say around pdocs. I hope you get out of this soon.

Whisper

3 hours ago, WinterTidings said:

I.. Yeah, I'm really sorry you're going through this, it sounds hellishly stressful. I can relate wrt having to control what you say around pdocs. I hope you get out of this soon.

Whisper

Thank you ... It was hell up until the 17th.  He was finally back to himself on the 17th.  I am not sure if I wrote this anywhere here on CB, but the reason he was being such a jerk was because of the election.  Before the election he was stressed out, then one of the following weeks I saw him 2 days after the actual election, and he told me how he got depressed after the election, and when I saw him he said he took it out on me.

So for now I think things are "ok," but it will take me a long time to trust him again.  And hopefully I will be alert enough that I can edit what I think before saying things. 

So I think I am out of the situation now.  Time will tell.

On 6/12/2014 at 0:43 PM, Chantho said:

I'm usually hypomanic, so it's really kind of handy honestly. Even my depression tends to be on the mild to moderate side, so I survive. The irritability rage that made me wonder if I was just a horrible person has to stay the eff away. It still gets kinda bad in the hypomanic episodes right now (my meds aren't working great because they need to be upped), but at least I'm learning coping strategies. Other than that, I don't want to know what the fallout would be like if I didn't have the meds.

Before, this is what I said. I've definitely worsened. My depression episodes are usually far worse and more frequent. I now have mixed episodes and what I've since learned is psychosis. I'm staying on my meds now to prevent another hellish mixed episode and the psychosis that came along for the ride. 

I continue with meds I'm not sure are working because I am afraid of the potential side effects/withdrawal. That and I haven't found a doc to actually do a med audit with me.

2 hours ago, CindyRee said:

I continue with meds I'm not sure are working because I am afraid of the potential side effects/withdrawal. That and I haven't found a doc to actually do a med audit with me.

Hi, welcome to CB. :)

Who is prescribing meds for you?  I would highly suggest finding a Psychiatrist (pdoc) as soon as you can.  Calling as a new patient, and getting on a waiting list for an earlier appt ... might take months.  So I would at least find a pdoc that could help you with meds.

Side effects/withdrawals happen.  That is why it is a good idea to have a pdoc to help you out if/when the side effects and/or withdrawals happen.  I would suggest NOT going off of meds without DR supervision.

I agree. Right now I have an ARNP I will see every 2-3 months (I've only seen her twice so far.) and a clinical social worker who I will see every 1-2 weeks (also seen her twice so far). Of course my PC doesn't help much. He doesn't prescribe narcotics (but he prescribed the tramadol). I'm learning to be patient as I am completely starting over with new mental health providers. I'm also at a point in my life where everything seems to be coming to a head-my marriage, my relationship with my brother, the loss of my mom less than two months ago. I'm overwhelmed and not sure I'm getting the help I need. I'm going to give it a chance though :)

19 minutes ago, CindyRee said:

I'm going to give it a chance though

That is good to hear!  I'm glad you are being positive about everything!

Without meds I am a manic hot mess. Spending money I don't have, getting credit cards I can't pay off, behaving in ways that get me into trouble with school and the law, etcetera. I might fee like I can function well without meds, but once I get out of a manic phase, I finally see the damage that caused during the phase. I would do almost anything to not have to suffer through those situations again and have to deal with the consequences. 

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, mmaryland said:

again and have to deal with the consequences. 

That is a big thing for me too ... the consequences ... aside from some being costly, some also being very embarrassing.

2 people like this

I can see cutting down on meds with pdocs approval, but the thought of me going back to where I was just makes me cringe.  I have an NOS diagnosis, but my symptoms are severe, and never want to go through this ever again.  Not that I am stable, but better off than I was a year ago.