• to help prevent psychosis
    • to stay in remission
    • to help prevent irritability
    • so my family or friends don't have to deal with the fallout
    • I don't want to lose my job / have to drop out of school
    • so I don't have to be hospitalized
    • I can't afford another spending spree
    • so I don't have to apologize to a lot of people afterward
    • to help prevent other symptoms (obsessions/compulsions, etc)
    • to stay functional (can leave the house, etc)
    • because I don't want the same thing that happened last time to happen again
    • to help prevent self-injury
    • so that I'm not dead
    • so that I can sleep
    • additional reasons (put in post if you like)
  2. 2. Why do you stay on meds even if they're not fully working?

• I'm still less crazy than I am without them
    • The benefits outweigh the side effects
    • They work better than the last set of meds
    • see above reasons
    • additional reasons (put in post if you like)

READING THESE RESPONSES:

that thing that Anna said about the post-apocalyptic future with no meds! OMG!

It was bad enough when my mother (whom the p-doc ordered keep my meds) decided that she would halve my zyprexa dose. That was like the scariest horror film of 2009!

I have decided that in no way will my mother EVER fuck with my meds again or I will report her to social services. I have been to hell and back for no reason other than her 'psych meds are bad for you' whims and shut my mouth just to protect her ass.

POWER TO THE BLACKBIRD! I LOVE MY MEDS XXXXXXXXX!!!!!

Edited by blackbird

And, I've gotten a lot of nasty side effects over the years, including SJS from lamictal.

What's "SJS"?

Stevens-Johnsons syndrome. It's a crazy rash that can be a somewhat dangerous side effect of Lamictal... or Lamictal makes you rmore susceptible... sorry, I forget most of the particulars, but it's easy to look up...

Just to add to my earlier response--the people I work with think I am some sort of teddy bear or something even though I am rather open about having been to jail and having committed felonies (well, except for one gal, but then I was committing felonies with her cousins so she doesn't count...).

If these people knew the truth about me I wonder if they could stand to be around me. Three years of sanity and me being all Mr. Nice Guy could be wiped out by my history...or by a short period of being off my meds. They're forgiving but some of the things I've done, only a parent can forgive it seems, and I feel I've pushed that boundary beyond the pale even.

Damned if I'll call my parents from jail again let me tell you.

Because I wasn't a happy person until I found something that worked.

I stay on them when they are not working in hopes that maybe something will happen? Maybe they will work when I am not paying attention? The one thing I always try to do is to keep my hope up! I have suffered for so long that I am very weary of just not doing anything. And I am sure like a lot of people here, I really do not want to end up in the Hospital again. It wasn't the worst experience I have ever had, but I can think of many other places I would rather be?

One of the things that I have always believed has helped me is that I have been taking Vitamins since I was about 16 or so, this has helped me remember to stay in the daily cycle of taking something everyday, and to remember that even though I forget what it is for, I must still take it. I may not always see the benefits of taking vitamins, but I still take them, the same goes for the Medication I take, so it is almost second nature for me.

I stay on them when they are not working in hopes that maybe something will happen? Maybe they will work when I am not paying attention? The one thing I always try to do is to keep my hope up!

I once thought my meds weren't working - until I went off of them... sometimes it's difficult to judge. Just sayin'.

I sometimes wonder if my meds are really working. After you've been on em awhile, you kind of forget a little... how things were. But I know that I'm a total mess without them so I'm fairly med compliant. There have just been a couple times I've not done as my pdoc says or have quit a med before my next pdoc appt. The one instance was akathisia from Abilify. I just couldn't handle it and quit. But I even gave the stupid med a second chance.

And now the only situation I have is that my pdoc wants me to try going above 160mg of geodon and I'm not too thrilled with that idea...for various reasons. If that makes me noncompliant then I guess I am a little bit but I also like to think I try to be an informed patient who takes an active role in my treatment.

But in all...I am better on my meds than off. That's why I stay on em.

Edited by beetle

I always get the stigma of people telling me exercising and diet would make me not have to take meds. I already do those things, and I still need meds. Then, I have the people that tell me to go natural and just smoke pot instead, because "cocktails" are dangerous, etc., etc.

I start with a base of exercise and good nutrion, and the meds just fillin the gap, you know? But people don't tend to think that way... and they have all sorts of "suggestions" for me. Not that I go around advertising what I take. But, I don't try to hide it either. So eh.

• Like 1

I've been on a number of ssri's over the years. None of them worked. All of them had side effects. Wellbutrin caused a seizure.

I took Depakote for awhile, and it seemed to help some, but it caused tremors that were part of the reason I was fired. There was a clusterfuck of other stuff going on then and I was overwhelmed with all of that, plus I couldn't afford the blood work. Oh, and I was drunk a lot.

Remeron pooped out.

Sometimes I forget to take my Ritalin. I don't think it's a big deal.

Lamictal? You'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hand. Or I would be forced to rob a pharmacy.

I think I need a different AAP than Zyprexa next spring, but if it's the only thing I can get, I'll take it.

I decided to start my meds back up recently because I can't manage my own moods off my meds. And people don't like the person I am off my meds...

Additional reason: I have become a bit dependant on popping my meds correctly to stay levelish, its kinda comforting in a way. Though the night time sedation isn't always welcome.

I can't believe how many posts there have been on the baords lately about stopping meds and whatnot.

I can honestly say I've never been there. I guess maybe I am lucky in that I have the type of illness where it's always been clear to me that without meds I would be institutionalized, dead or worse. I never had to struggle with the compliance thing, and it's never occured to me to think about going med-free.

I will never understand the people who find it so challenging to stay on their meds. Being crazy is horrible. Being even somewhat less crazy is much better. I love my pills.

From my semisane, logical point of view I don't question it, but there was this one time I did a little loop-de-loop and was convinced that my mind and thought was free without the meds, and at a certain point while I'm on the edge I am less blunted than usual, but I'm not sure if its any more functional. I must say though sometimes people spouting forth bullshit about how I don't have a problem/need meds/just need to (throw in generic anti-med/anti-psych comment here) has at times left me questioning myself seeing as it comes from around 14/15 people.

Having said that I have always complied as having seen, met, lived with and am related to non compliant patients made me realise there is no option.

Edit: Erk, soz didnt check the thread date ;(

Edited by void

Guest Anymouse

Meds? After a horrible psychotic break in May which landed me in a VA hospital for two weeks while ON meds (the overnight stay in jail [for my protection, they said] and the hundred mile ride in a police car to the hospital in handcuffs was so much fun), destruction of my thyroid by Lithium, destruction of my sleep patterns by Seroquel, allergies to most other meds, and a bad reaction to an MAOI I had been taking for over ten years, the VA decided it was in my best interest to take me off them and just monitor me closely. Only took them from 1995 to 2009 to figure out that meds were making my problems worse, at the taxpayer's expense.

While my sleep is still disturbed, and I am now taking thyroid replacement medication, I am free of the side effects which were at least as bad as the medicines that didn't work.

Now, after spending a summer in recovering from that horrible experience, replacing my broken computer (from said-same psychotic break), and patching up my marriage (damaged by my troubles in May), I have managed to go out and meet the world again, landed a part time job as a Romance novel copyeditor, and am returning to my long-playing, short-selling musical career in Irish folk music, having gotten up the nerve to enter in the national hammered dulcimer championship.

Things are looking up . . . .

Guest Anymouse

Not sure why it put -Guest- on my nick . . . .

My biggest reason for staying on them, is my children. I have to be able to function to take care of them. Have to be able to get out of bed. Have to be able to leave the house.

Have to stay on meds for my family. Have to stay on meds cos I'd be letting down alll the ppl here who have helped me and supported me. Have to stay on meds cos without them I KNOW I'd probably be dead by now. I want to make all the shit I've gone through up until now WORTH something. To have some POINT. I want to help others in the same position, which I can't do from such a skewed state of mind. I've been away for some time from the boards because I had nothin to offer, to be frank, but that doesn't mean I don't care. It's just because I don't want to make anything worse for those who are struggling. My thoughts to all of you who are strong enough to visit the boards regularly enough to make a difference. Love to all!

Thank you all for your replies to this and I can honestly say that I am inspired by your comments ;)

I can really associate with all you've said. Especially not realising the difference in your life/behaviour until you read something like this!

I have not been better/more self-aware since starting lithium. And that was after 5 years of treatment and assessment. So don't give up hope, and don't forget what life was like when you were unmedicated. And believe me, that's all too easily forgotten. Once you are on the right meds, you'll forget how bad it got, and that's half of the point of the right meds. Not just to make you better NOW, but to take away the terrible memory of the bad times.

I never thought it possible, but here I am telling you it can be worth fighting for.

Love and best wishes to all, those who replied and those reading this for the first time.

I stay on my meds primarily because I love myself and want to have a good life. I truly enjoy being alive and I want to experience it fully while I have the gift of life. I have a mental illness that could result, that almost resulted, in my premature death. I do not EVER want to go through anything like that again. so I take my meds, I go to therapy, I maintain a good eating, sleeping, and exercise schedule. I do whatever I can to manage my illness. the result? I am here. I am alive. I am happy.

;)

depression and GAD, not bipolar but voted anyways, good poll!

I checked lots of answers. Mostly I take my meds because after many tries, I found what I needed to turn me back into the me that I know and my friends know without side effects, or any other nasty stuff. I'm one of the lucky ones because it's easy for me to stay on my meds. Wake up, take the pills, get on with life.

My pills prevent me from feeling like a guilty, worthless, unloved pile of dog doo that should never have been born and is sucking up someone else's precious air. That's a big job for 4 little pills a day, but somehow they manage, so I'll keep 'em around.

Edited by fluffybirdie

For me taking my meds is a very easy call. Since I spent all of my life so far living alone with my depression, it is amazingly easy to see the difference the meds have made. Just ask my hubby. haha

I don't even know where to begin. In short, I would never ever ever stop taking them except for some bizarre life threatening side effect.

The wellbutrin, the lexapro, the nightly ambien has done more for my life, my career, my family, myself than I could have ever imagined. Obviously, not all is always good. I still get depressed, I still yell at my daughter, I still have low self-esteem, I still freak a bit when something spills on the floor, etc, etc. My friends complain that I am too hyper. Some of that is because I don't back down in conversation like I used to. Whatever.

It's just that the grey, black, cloudy, deep, awful, miasma I lived under now has an enormous hole in it's ozone layer where I can see the blue sky.

To be honest, it's still hard for me to admit to myself that I need meds. I mean it's very obvious that I do because without them I'm delusional, angry, sad, and horrible to be around. But I don't know why I can't accept it. I have diabetes (not from meds, I have Type I), and I can easily admit to myself I need insulin, yet with this, it's hard. I hate people telling me I'm out of control and mean to them and I hate crying, so it's good that I'm on meds though. I'm just hoping one day I won't need them anymore.

Almost all of them, I would fall apart without my medicine, I do have tolerances and so and so, but seriously I would be a wreck. I tried dumping them all before, I can't, it's misery for me. So many ppl, say, Why are you on those?" If they were in my shoes, they'd know, Medicine is good as long as it's not abused IMO.

Billy.

Almost all of them, I would fall apart without my medicine, I do have tolerances and so and so, but seriously I would be a wreck. I tried dumping them all before, I can't, it's misery for me. So many ppl, say, Why are you on those?" If they were in my shoes, they'd know, Medicine is good as long as it's not abused IMO.

Billy.

I gotta wonder sometimes, though. Sometimes a patient's biggest abuser is the physician who prescribes (pushes) drugs. After fourteen years on an MAOI, the Veterans Administration decided to eliminate that (and my other psych med, Lithium). But then, six months later, they did a cholesterol test on me and it came up in the moderately high range. (Might have something to do with my going hog wild on high cholesterol foods that were off my diet with the MAOI like Swiss cheese, bacon, sausage, chocolate, everything that had been previously banned.)

They would only consider prescribing a statin drug for the LDL condition: I was refused a second opinion or a retest (my right under the law). The Government, being the largest purchaser of medications in the USA, is a prime target for pharma advertising (and they have all those cutsy giveaway pens and calanders and such, even though VA regulations prohibit those within all their facilities).

They would not consider modifying my diet (though I had shown I was capable of following dietary restrictions with the ruthless diet required of an MAOI), and even said quitting smoking would not do. I refused the medication (I do not want to be the test subject of such a controversial med which has only a short span on the market, with its already known psychiatric side-effects, and the VA is the biggest free test ground Pharma has), and my chart was marked "Against Medical Advice," which in theory could impact my Federal and State VA benefits.

I got my second opinion, -at my expense- (Government insurance won't pay for a civilian to tell them what they already tested for), and after only three days on a low-cholesterol diet, tested near-normal. That doctor has agreed to manage a diet plan for me (knowing of my prior adherance to the MAO diet), yet the VA still will not remove the "AMA" notification from my record, though the latest cholesterol test (again at my expense) is now in the normal range.

The Veterans Administration has refused to consider the civilian doctor's testing and professional opinion.

Gotta wonder. . . .

- James.

I don't think keeping are asses out of the court room was mentioned or agonizing regret,and how about good ole self loathing.It's taken me awhile to figure out half my that my battle with bp is the depth of guilt I endure over my transgressions.I take my medicine like a man these days to me there's no other option,except maybe a life of extreme loneliness.Responsibilities for your friends and family is a key motivator.

Excellent post.

I stay on my meds for many reasons, mainly because it feels like the apocalypse is coming and arriving if i stop my meds. There is no benefit to anyone, least of all myself. I have had that feeling that 'im fine, i don't need these', and i was wrong. In my first year of treatment I quit two different drugs at different times because they actually worsened my condition and i had a stupid pdoc who wouldn't change my meds. The only way i got off them was to quit and he would then notice that i was unmedicated and put me on something else. It felt stupid and manipulative but the point was to get on meds that worked, not to get off meds. And once i thought my meds were stupid and weren't doing anything, that i was at rock bottom anyway. I stopped them. It definitely hadn't been rock bottom, and it was the worst 2 days of my life, before i got back on meds again.

After that first year of shakiness, i take it and stop the stupidity. Pdoc can't MAKE you take them, its kinda pointless seeing someone and then doing the opposite of what they are suggesting to help you.

I am a nicer person on meds. I am a happier person on meds. I am a reliable and consistent and responsible person on meds. My life is worth living on meds.