Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Constant singing in my head

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I think this problem just might drive me over the edge.

Every waking moment of my life I am singing in my head. Unless I am talking to someone, typing this page or watching TV I am singing in my head. This may go on for several seconds before I even realize I am doing it. It can be a recent song or jingle I've heard or any random song and it's only a short verse of the song over and over. When I try and concentrate on something else to stop it as soon as my concentration wanes there I am singing again. If I wake in the middle of the night I takes me quit a while to fall back to sleep because of the singing.

I have no explanation for this and can't seem to find a way to deal effectively with it. I do have a concern that a period in my life that I experimented with the drug ecstasy may be coming back to haunt me. Does anybody have any thoughts about this annoying problem....condition?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sometimes I get an annoying song in my head that I heard on the radio.

I can't stop the song as it replays itself over. I would like to fire that dj in my head.

The only thing I can do to stop it is to play another song on the stereo.

What you are describing almost sounds like voices, but it is your own voice singing that you are hearing clearly.

Sortof?

Edited by survivor

Posted · Report post

Sounds like either intrusive thoughts (OCD like stuff) maybe mania type stuff, or some sort of a hallucination. Yeah, I guess I just narrowed it down for you a LOT.

But, have you told a doctor about this? Have you tried anything to make it stop (meds or otherwise?) What other clusters of symptoms do you have?

Because, it sounds extremely annoying, and if it were me, I would want to do something to make it stop.

Anna

Posted · Report post

Sounds like either intrusive thoughts (OCD like stuff) maybe mania type stuff, or some sort of a hallucination. Yeah, I guess I just narrowed it down for you a LOT.

But, have you told a doctor about this? Have you tried anything to make it stop (meds or otherwise?) What other clusters of symptoms do you have?

Because, it sounds extremely annoying, and if it were me, I would want to do something to make it stop.

Anna

These are no hallucinations. It is all too real I am singing. I don't feel comfortable talking to my 65 year old Dr. about this, I just can't imagine him thinking it was anything more than I can't get a song out of my head. It certainly is not that. Yeah I've had a stupid little jingle from time to time that I just heard go over and over in my head but this is not like that at all this just doesn't last a few hours this is constant and can be any song or a number of different songs all the time. No other symptoms and yes it is EXTREMELY annoying, in fact it is somewhat troublesome.

Posted · Report post

I think this problem just might drive me over the edge.

Every waking moment of my life I am singing in my head. Unless I am talking to someone, typing this page or watching TV I am singing in my head. This may go on for several seconds before I even realize I am doing it. It can be a recent song or jingle I've heard or any random song and it's only a short verse of the song over and over. When I try and concentrate on something else to stop it as soon as my concentration wanes there I am singing again. If I wake in the middle of the night I takes me quit a while to fall back to sleep because of the singing.

I have no explanation for this and can't seem to find a way to deal effectively with it. I do have a concern that a period in my life that I experimented with the drug ecstasy may be coming back to haunt me. Does anybody have any thoughts about this annoying problem....condition?

I have had this same problem for years. What you describe is exactly the same as what I am doing, and I mean exactly. It makes me want to scream. I have no idea how to stop this. Have you talked to a Dr. about this?

Posted · Report post

It's definitely an OCD symptom, as when I was diagnosed I had the same problem. But just because you have that doesn't mean OCD is a problem for you.

I often wondered if it was a way to block out other annoying thoughts like a defense mechanism.

Posted · Report post

Hi

I've had this problem for years too. I am a singer and especially when I'm rehearsing for a show or learning a song then I wake up singing in my head at 3am and it takes hours to get back to sleep. I have tried relaxing my body from toe to head but its a mind thing not a tense muscle thing. sometimes it works to create a story and picture myself walking somewhere calm through trees and fields, smelling flowers etc on other occasions I do this and find I'm singing!!! Its a tough one because i think its a skill to learn to empty my head. Perhaps I'll practise for a few minutes a day when I'm not struggling to get back to sleep, then hopefully it will build up to working at night!!

I used to do this a lot (I've got OCD. It got annoying, when it was a song I didn't even like that well, that kept on repeating & repeating & repeating.)

It went away (or almost, still do it a little under stress, but it's not near as bad) when my P-doc raised the level of my anti-depressants (which can be very therapuetic for OCD.)

-suzie

Edited by suzie

Posted · Report post

I sort of have that problem, at least when I am trying to fall asleep. I get the saddest song I can think of and can't stop playing it in my head. I hate it because I am not sad yet it will drag me down. Music very much affects me!

Posted · Report post

I don't have OCD, but I sure as hell have this problem, and it is one of my absolute least favorite symptoms. It is totally insanity inducing. It's a form of intrusive thought, I think: unwanted, distracting, and undismissable. I now treat it with my trusty AAP, Seroquel, when it gets to what I refer to as a "clinical level tape loop."

People think this sounds funny, but it's life-wrecking. I can't sleep. It's like having someone taunting me 24-7.

Posted · Report post

i have this really bad too and i dont know whats causing it i have certain parts of songs re looping in my head over over and over again non stop like a broken record any one have any insight on this? PLEASE HELP!!!!

Posted · Report post

me and my brother was going down the highway and it started all of a sudden and we was not listing to any music

Having songs repeat over in our minds is, alas, such a common phenomenon that it's not generally considered abnormal, thus the slang term "earworm." 

The wikipedia article actually has some good citations for this.

It's possible that the song repetition could be more related to OCD or a neurological problem. However, that seems to be likely only if it's taking over so much of your brainspace that it gets in the way of doing other things, rather than being an annoyance.

Edited by Wooster

Posted · Report post

ok thank you should i get a mri?

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately nobody here is qualified to answer that question.  Determining if an issue is primarily neurological vs primarily psychiatric in nature requires face to face evaluation by qualified health care providers.

A good place to start would be your primary care provider and ask for a referral if needed.

Posted · Report post

I get this when I an in poor shape mentally. It won't be full songs, just short phrases but  they will repeat compulsively, over ,over and louder until i feel i am loosing my mind. It goes with anxiety and depression, so when those are treated then it goes away. It's a good indicator that a phone call to the pdoc is warranted, but i am always stumped at to what to say - everyone gets tunes stuck in their head so how do i explain it? i'm already a  bit of a basket case  by that time.

Posted · Report post

I did XTC atleast 300 times and before I went thru a psychosis and was always spitting out tunes with my mouth. As soon as I got over the psychosis I stop..but the singing in my head did not. It gets pretty annoying really when your going thru a spike and your anxiety is up and the jingle makes you more anxious. I think it has alot to do with drugs...as long as it's not making you trip out and do weird stuff then you just have to love yourself and accept it.

Posted · Report post

well i was taking hydrocodone for pain but it was  small does and then i quit and then a few days later is when the songs started it seems like its a tick in my brain making the tunes lol

Posted · Report post

well i was taking a small dose of hydrocodone a little while before this started but i had been off of them a few days by the time this started im not sure if something could be wrong with my brain.

Posted · Report post

acccept what? i never had this before lol

Posted · Report post

I have this absolutely, especially the thing about it just being one part of the song repeating over and over again. That one specific thing about it I can find sort of annoying, but other than that it doesn't really bug me at all. Most of my friends recognize me for the fact that I'm always bobbing my head or dancing no matter what because I don't need to be listening to music to have some playing in my head. Though it doesn't hit me at every waking moment of my life, because I'm usually obsessing over something else that requires a lot of frantic thinking. But when that isn't happening it comes up quite often. It's definitely been going on since before I used ecstasy and hallucinogens too, but I could see how it might have gotten a little more severe afterward. When I would take psychedelics it would go from my hearing the song clips in my head to actually hearing them out loud.

Posted · Report post

This solution may not work for anyone else but here goes.

Lets say I get "Tea for two" stuck in my head (Horrors)   I have an obscure song I think about (And only for this purpose) and go through a bit of it to erase the song thats annoying.  When I try to go to sleep its impossible with some dumb song going through my head.   The emergency break up the stupid noise song seems to work everytime.   *And before anyone asks, NO the emergency song is never stuck in my head.

Posted · Report post

well i was taking hydrocodone for pain but it was a  small dose and then i quit and then a few days later is when the songs started it seems like its a tick in my brain making the tunes lol

Posted · Report post

*And before anyone asks, NO the emergency song is never stuck in my head.

Whatever song I switch to just ends up being stuck, too. The best I can do is make the replacement something pleasant that doesn't drive me up the wall. Although if I am very anxious, the new song ends up doing the same thing - getting stuck at a specific point and then playing repeatedly. I tend to just let it play and try to think of something else while it plays. It clears when the anxiety clears.

It is very interesting that others have this happen too. Makes me feel less odd! :)

Posted · Report post

Hey Luna yea i know what you mean i just feel crappy because of this and mentally out of it most of the time and cant think straight like im mentally imagining it and my brain iis just drifting off im scared a lil about this i have not been to the pdoc yet and im not sure what could be causing it.