CrazyBoards.org

I have a little self composed ditty, about 8 notes that loop. A mindless, continuous loop. I can't seem to get a doc. to give a shit, or to give a shit about my scalp picking. Of which I have developed dozens of scabs. I have decided both activities are methods to calm myself.  I am a constant worrier, filled to the brim with anxiety about everything, despite meds.....

Now I did my fair share of recreational drugs and hallucinogens

back in the hippie days.  I have thought maybe I fucked up the balance of neurochemicals in my brain.  ALthough I was self medicating since I was born- Milk of Magnesia, aspirin, paragoric, always had something wrong.  THen I was old enough to buy drugs!  yipee.

So maybe we can't fix this looping music, but maybe try to enjoy it.  Music is a good and relaxing thing.

It got so bad I googled it and found you people having my problem.  I never did drugs.  I was on celexa many years ago.  I wonder if it started before or after that.  I feel that it has contributed to my absent mindedness.  I make stupid mistakes.  And realize my mind has drifted.  But the song is still playing.

I hope at some point we will figure out what is going on and hoto stop it.  I even screwed up my name.  It was supposed to be absent Steve.  

I love Adele but her "Hello" song gets in my head, repeats and repeats until I have to play any other song to get it out of my head. Even a commercial with a jingle and I hate ads. I'm afraid I will hate her song and right now it is EVERYWHERE! 

I thought I was crazy, I'm so glad there are others that share this same issue. However, I don't think I would be considered OCD. I have people tell me that it just means I'm happy. Ya know, the song in your heart kinda thing 

I  don't think there's anything wrong with you. In fact I think we all do it & even talk to ourselves in our heads. It's our way of coping with boredom & stress. I think it's totally normal, if it isn't, then add me to the insanity list, i'm guilty of doing it too. It's more often when a song you recognise is heard, even if you hate it, it still happens. If you don't want it going around in your head, physically listen to it, several times, & then it goes away, or listen to something different. 

As Wooster said in the middle of this thread, this is common. Lots of people hear music.It is so common as to not be considered a disease or disorder. I have constant ringing in the ears and it seems weekly that a new song is chosen and I will hear snippets of this song when my brain is not overly occupied. Some consider this kind of stuff as being a sub-sign for a seizure disorder of some kind. I always chalked my music as being related to the epilepsy I have.

Now, if it is interfering with daily activities or you just can't stand it anymore certainly see your doctor.

On 5/31/2013 at 0:51 PM, gringatica said:

scalp picking. Of which I have developed dozens of scabs.

This very well could be a condition called dermatillomania or excoriation disorder. First line treatment for this is SSRIs.

As for the music in your head, I do the same thing all the time. Sometimes it's an actual song, sometimes it's a loop of just a few notes... It's not a problem unless it causes you distress in your everyday life. Maybe you should be a composer! :) 

Edited by mikl_pls

Such an old thread...but so relevant and interesting. My mom calls these "Earworms" Songs, melodies, jingles that get stuck in your head relentlessly. When she feels down, she actually tries to get a song stuck in her head to distract herself from analytical/obsessive thinking, avert negative emotions. I think advertisers have studied this in order to create catchy ads that really stick into your subconscious.

For some odd reason (I hate most current mainstream/pop music) All today, I have Sia's "Cheap Thrills" going in my head....But I'll tell you, it is better than the tormenting negative ruminations I have everyday.

Come on, come on, turn the radio on
It's Friday night and I won't be long...
Gotta do my hair, I put my make up on
It's Friday night and I won't be long....
Hit the dance floor, Hit the dance floor
I got all I need...
No I ain't got cash, I ain't got cash
But I got you baby....

No idea where this came from today... Often I hear a song in the store and then hours later, I'm humming it. Sometimes I just wake up with a random song in my head. Before today, it hadn't happened in ages! Now why can't I get a GOOD song stuck?