Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Biting my tongue in my sleep

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is it a Seizure when you bite your tongue in your sleep?

I've done this before.

Billy.

Posted · Report post

it could be, but it could just be from a nightmare you don't recall. I used to bite my tongue in my sleep all the time. it was part of my PTSD. You'd have to see a neuro doc to determine for sure if you are having seizures. does anything at all happen to you like that when you are awake?

Posted · Report post

It could be.

Or, it could be bruxism, which is a common side effect of many psych meds.  My gf often bites her tongue and the inside of her cheek at night when she bruxs.

I just wake up with a mouth full of grit, aka teeth particles.

Posted · Report post

Or, it could be bruxism, which is a common side effect of many psych meds.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have never bit my tongue in my sleep because of having seizures, even when I was having them on a regular basis. I have routinely and repeatedly bit my tongue (and lips, and cheeks, and...) in my sleep as a result of grinding my teeth.

Posted · Report post

Last night I bit my tongue twice in my sleep, it woke me up, this is getting more frequent, I don't know if I'm having a Partial seizure or not.

I know people do bite their tongue in their sleep who are not Epileptic, but I need to monitor this.

I'm afraid of biting a chunk or my lip, as I have also bit down on my lip.

Maybe the Lamictal needs to be upped, I'm going to ask the Doc today, I cannot take Keppra or Tegretol...

(BAD) for me.

Has anyone else experienced tongue biting?

Thanks, B.

Posted · Report post

Last night I bit my tongue twice in my sleep, it woke me up, this is getting more frequent, I don't know if I'm having a Partial seizure or not.

I know people do bite their tongue in their sleep who are not Epileptic, but I need to monitor this.

I'm afraid of biting a chunk or my lip, as I have also bit down on my lip.

Maybe the Lamictal needs to be upped, I'm going to ask the Doc today, I cannot take Keppra or Tegretol...

(BAD) for me.

Has anyone else experienced tongue biting?

Thanks, B.

You're taking a pretty low dosage of Lamictal...but I thought you were on 7,000 mgs. of Keppra? (that's a LOT)! Definately speak w/your neuro. about the tongue biting. I've bitten mine but mostly I decide to have a "snack" and munch on the insides of my cheeks. Rinse your mouuth w/warm salt water, it may help. I know I've had a nocturnal seizure when I'm all chewed up, have a killer pain over my right eye and sometimes I, er, lose bladder control.

Talk to your doc!

Best wishes,

Sheila

Posted · Report post

I thought you were on 7,000 mgs. of Keppra? (that's a LOT)!

I must've missed that before. That's not just a lot, that's holy-crap-that's-a-lot. The maximum recommended is 3000, and "The highest known dose of KEPPRA received in the clinical development program was 6000 mg/day."