Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How is Topamax as a mood stabilizer?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

How is Topamax as a mood stabilizer? I'm not trying to use it alone but use it in combination with Lithium 900mg/day.

Thanks,

Andy...

Posted

Usually it augments another medication. By itself, I'm not sure.

Posted

If you're on it and it's working for you, it's good enough ;)

Posted

I've been on it for about 4 1/2 years as a migraine preventative. Doesn't really do anything for my mood. Does contribute to my general stupidity and occasional aphasia. Works excellent as a migraine prevention med.

Posted

Some people have very good luck with it for mood. Others get no effect at all. When it works, it can work well, but it's very hit or miss. There's a reason both why it's farther down the list of things to try for mood stabilization but still somewhere on that list.

Posted

It has been my miracle drug. They can take my Topamax out of my cold, dead hand because it's the *only* one that has worked for me. I take it with an anti-depressant (Welbutrin) and an anti-psychotic (Seroquel). I get some dopey side effects - esp. when it comes to words and spelling - but other than that, I'm good to go.

Posted

I took it as prophylaxis for migraine, and had some kidney damage (I had some prior damage, so that may have made me more prone). I also got the stupids, and it was doing something in my gut where I was constantly gassy and uncomfortable. It didn't work for me for migraines either. YMMV.

Posted

I'm with Withing, it's been my miracle. I'm not diagnosed bipolar, but MDD and GAD with bipolar leanings or whatever. Anyways, tried Lamictal and Abilify without the best of luck but Topamax keeps me beyond even with no side effects. It's for sure not a first line treatment, but if your doc brings it up, it doesn't hurt to try. It was what my little cocktail needed to make me "me again". I consider myself very lucky with it.

Posted

I tried topamax years ago when it came out. I had to quit using it because of severe cognitive impairement. I convinced my pdoc to try it again. He was reluctant because he says it's not a promising mood stabilizer but agreed to let me try it. The second time it gave me severe shortness of breathe and I didn't stick with it.

I hope it works for you, it's hard finding the right combo of meds.

Posted

I just started it. But I take Abilify as well. We'll see. Fingers crossed!