Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How many prescription psych meds do you take each day?

Pill Counter   150 votes

1. 1. How many different psych meds do you take each day?

• 0-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-9
    • 10 and over
  2. 2. How do you feel about your current med cocktail? (Even if you're only on 1 med)

• Frustrated
    • Content/Happy
    • Indifferent
    • Worried
    • Other (please explain)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 posts in this topic

Posted

currentely taking 25 mg Zoloft,ABilify 2.5 mg anf Klonopin 1mg at night

is working fine i am just frustated cause the abilify made me gain 20 pounds sucks big time,how is that for depressing right?

the zoloft i dont think is doing anything,the klonopin is the only one that i ''feel'' makes a difference

i hope i dont have to add anything soon,i may have to cause i have really bad migraines but iam trying to deal with them

without the migraine meds

Posted

Currently taking what's in my signature.

I answered frustrated because I'm still fucking suicidal.

Posted

6 daily meds: Dexamphetamine, Sodium Valproate, Propranolol, Nortriptyline, Seroquel & Solian. Plus some PRN: Codeine, Zantac, Modafinil, Maxolon

Looking to drop the Sodium Valproate and the Seroquel and changing the Nortriptyline to another TCA.

Best combo I have had so far, but I pretty much have to take a backpack to the pharmacy.

Posted

i take 5. they're in my sig. and im doing well on them currently. i worry about my hormones and my liver but i need my medication to stay ok.

Posted

4, possibly going up soon.

But how do I feel about it? Oh man, I clicked three of the boxes! I feel guilty for being on so much stuff, paranoid that it will have adverse effects (O NOES WELLBUTRIN WILL GIVE ME A SEIZURE!), and especially... stigmatized for being on an antipsychotic. At the same time, they've given me a balance of normal for the first time in a year, and if I do start taking something else, it will be at my own suggestion. Then again, I may need another antidepressant... Why wasn't there a "conflicted" option? ;)

Posted

4 psych meds (2 in the morning, 2 at night) plus 1 prn

2 early in the morning for thyroid

1 prn for asthma

and birth control

i kind of hate having to choke back so many pills every day - but i still voted content/happy because i haven't felt this stable in a long, long time.

Posted

3 psych meds daily (for psychosis + depression), plus 3 as needed (for anxiety + sleep). I don't really know how I feel about it, I am more stable than before the Abilify was added, but I still feel there is room for improvement. I can't figure out why I'm getting new symptoms despite taking my meds as instructed.

Posted

3 crazy meds, 1 for hot flashes, and 2 for hypertension.

Not to mention vitamins and fish oil, and usually tylenol and advil every day for arthritis. All I know is I take a lot of pills every day!

But I don't mind, they keep me well. The thing I dislike most is the hassle involved in getting them, I live in a rural area so the nearest drugstore is over twenty miles away. Plus, since one of the drugs is Ambien, I resent being made to feel like I'm some sort of drug addict. The state where I lives monitors closely every controlled substance prescription so the end result is the pharmacy won't refill even a day early, which can be a pain because I sometimes have to make a special trip to get it. The whole idea of controlled substance laws pisses me off, anyways, so I'll shut up now.

Posted (edited)

I put worried.

I'm on ritalin, celexa, tegretol and thorazine.

-Celexa is helping my depression but not so much my social anxiety disorder.

-Ritalin helps my motivation and a little bit of paying attention but has a long way to go...still fuzzy headed and can't concentrate, my brain keeps going and going non stop, so does my talking sometimes and my short term and long term memory sucks.

-Tegretol actually does help the moods...unless I get negative feedback, then I plummet to fast depression and hating myself.

-Thorazine helps me sleep because it knocks me out, but doesn't help the stuff from stopping in my head when I want to sleep. It also does not help paranoia one friggin bit. If someone in the room is talking to another I think it's about me, and again my mood goes down, etc.

So, I'm worried, I want it to stop, but can I get this stuff under control?

Edited by Shortstuff

Posted

So, I'm worried, I want it to stop, but can I get this stuff under control?

The famous question I get asked, Are you in therapy?

Posted

Yep in therapy, but just started. Had my first tdoc visit on Tuesday. I had so much to say and was so not wanting to even go, that I went in there, barely talked and when I did, cried. It was a bit of a mess.

Luckily, I knew this would happen, it always happens, it's why I don't go to tdocs often or stop after a visit or two. This time, I typed out all the questions I had and all my symptoms and some stories from when I was younger, etc. The tdoc was like...can I keep this?? Please? I hope the next one goes better...

Posted

I take 3. I'm fine about taking medication but I'm frustrated because things aren't 'good'. Hell, it's hardly OK. It's better than before the meds but not really good enough to be satisfied with the result. Soo blah, lol.

Posted (edited)

Fortunatley, I'm down to 5mg of diazepam daily. Im in the home stretch of a long benzo withdrawal, orginally being on 5-10mg of alprazolam and Clonazepam, (prescribed but tripling up on doses.) I was prescribed Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Lexapro, Seraquel, Trazodone, Restoril, Buspar, Adderall, Ritalin to name a few brands in the past 2 years. Now, since i've quit all the meds, I feel WAY more stable than ever before on any meds. My depression has naturally subsided, my OCD is nearly non-existant, my motivation is better (not great, but good) and my social anxieties are slowly dissapating. It's hard to explain how this all happened, for at the moment I really don't have a clear simple answer, but I am VERY VERY happy with my improved mental status for it has been going strong for over a year now.

My only issue is I really am convinced I have damaged my brain due to the long term benzo use and abuse (mixed with alcohol countless times) My memory is shotty at best and my mind is a gaping void once filled with humor and interesting ideas. I hope so very much that my original personality, sans the mental illnesses, will return to me.

Best of luck to you all! Much love!

Edited by Malice

Posted

An update to my original response - I'm currently on two meds.

I've been fortunate in that the most meds I have ever had to take at any one time was three. One time, I was taking sodium valproate, Abilify and Pristiq together. Another time [more recently], I was taking clozapine, lamictal and zoloft together. The clozapine was causing my neutrophils to fluctuate constantly, so I've stopped and now I'm looking for antipsychotic no.7.

Posted

Six including PRNs (which I take very frequently).

I answered frustrated because they aren't working at all.

Posted

Also an update to my original post

I am currently on three psychiatric medications, which is the lowest amount I've been on years, the highest being seven

Posted (edited)

I am lucky that I am fairly stable on just one med, Seroquel. I also take 2 meds for physical shit.

Mostly I am ok with my meds as I am doing a lot better than what I was before going on them. I also really like the fact that it helps me sleep, and that I haven't had the insomnia since going on it (even though I aren't particularly happy with knowing that what helps me sleep is a fucking antipsychotic). But I suppose it kills 2 birds with one stone, or actually 3 because the anxiety as well.

But there are times when I want off the Seroquel because I start thinking that it is being used to control me and I don't like that idea. When that happens I just need to (a) keep up with therapy, and (b) remind myself that I really don't want to go back to untreated psychosis.

(Edited because my computer has a mind of its own and decided to post before I had finished :wall: )

Edited by enlightened_plutonian

Posted (edited)

I'm taking five daily meds, and have a bunch of PRNs that I rarely use. Since my moods are stable and I am still functioning, I am pretty content with the way things are. Each med has a purpose, so I'm not in a hurry to stop any of them, though my pdoc would like to take me off of my AP. I'm uneasy with that idea, because I like how quiet my brain is, and I don't like wondering if my wrong thinking will come back.

ETA: oops, I also take levothyroxine every day... Not a psych med, but still, I need it because of a psych med...

Edited by dedoubt

Posted

I was on 3, they are in my siggy! I took myself off the Quel earlier this week due to some major side effects. I'm sure once I see pdoc we'll add in another AAP, not sure which it'll be this time though.

Posted

Right now I'm only on one, with a sleeping pill PRN and ativan as PRN. However, that number is going to go up when I see my pdoc next... Just in the middle of a major med readjustment right now.

Posted (edited)

6 - tapering off 1 atm then another once that's done. So hopefully down to 4 soon. I am alert but not alarmed. ^_^

Edited by bfff

Posted

I take 6 meds at the current time, and I learned that it is a delicate balance and that each med plays a part including the ones that I thought were not helping. So I guess I'm pretty content, but also worried because I'm on so many and because the Remeron is causing weight gain.

Posted

I'm on two meds at the moment, both of which are in my signature. I've got GP & Shrink appts very soon & I'm pretty sure I'll be on another med soon as I'm not taking anything specifically for my anxiety (GAD) & I believe that it's gone unmedicated for long enough!!

I voted 0-3 & worried

Posted (edited)

Edited to say- used to be 4 as of 2/17. A little more than month ago pdoc added remeron, so now 5.

Edited by scatty

Posted

See signature for details.

For my brain cooties, I take 3: Two daily, and one PRN. However, there was talk today with the pdoc about adding another drug ( Cymbalta) if some of my physical pain symptoms don't resolve in the next week or so (and with another bump to the SSRI I'm already taking).

I take medication for my thyroid. And enough high potency vitamins and minerals to keep my body from consuming itself.

Total daily pill count is between 25-30.