Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do your meds affect your teeth?

9 votes

1. 1. Do you think your meds have caused your teeth to deteriorate?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure
  2. 2. Do you have trouble remembering to brush your teeth?

• Yes (brushing)
    • Yes (flossing)
    • No (brushing)
    • No (flossing)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I had pretty decent teeth all through my childhood and teenage years, despite loving lollies and hating brushing my teeth. I still brushed them, just not with any particular effort or care. These days I brush my teeth better, floss occasionally, but have noticed my teeth deteriorating. The enamel is wearing, i have a few holes, and i'll be off to the dentist soon.

I have read that anticonvulsants affect dental health... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I feel that my dental hygiene has improved, but my teeth have not, since i started meds.

isis.

Posted · Report post

I had pretty decent teeth all through my childhood and teenage years, despite loving lollies and hating brushing my teeth. I still brushed them, just not with any particular effort or care. These days I brush my teeth better, floss occasionally, but have noticed my teeth deteriorating. The enamel is wearing, i have a few holes, and i'll be off to the dentist soon.

I have read that anticonvulsants affect dental health... just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

I feel that my dental hygiene has improved, but my teeth have not, since i started meds.

isis.

I've been on Dilantin (for seizure control) for going on 17 years now & it caused major swelling in the gums among other dental problems & became so severe that I ended up having all 32 teeth extracted back in april....sigh it's still gonna be a couple weeks till (hopefully) the dentures are finally ready.

Posted · Report post

I'm absolutely shitty about remembering to brush and floss, and I will probably have shitty teeth because of this. So far they're okay, but I saw a dentist recently for a study and she said I probably have bruxism (grinding teeth) and that my meds are causing dry mouth.

Posted · Report post

Dry mouth is a biggie. But a greater issue with anticonvulsants, especially the older ones, is the erosion of enamel. One of those bodily tissues that you don't get back when damaged/destroyed. I have seen some reports about minimizing this issue by gums/rinses that contain Xylitol.