Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can Ritalin and Strattera be used at the same time?

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm just curious because I see my pdoc on the 15th and I want off the Ritalin. I've been on it since the 7th of June and it isn't doing much for me. I've read many good things about Strattera and I want to try a non stimulant. My concern, is it takes around two weeks before patients generally notice changes and I'm wondering if my doctor would let me cross them while we let the Strattera start to build in my system.

What do you all think? One is a stimulant but the other isn't. Maybe it could work? I have no idea really. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Posted · Report post

According to medscape, drugs.com, and aidsmeds.com, there are no interactions.

[i just like to extra make sure.]

BUT, you could always double check with a pharmacist.

And, that doesn't mean it wouldn't make you feel... uh, funny.

What kind of funny? I don't rightly know.

Maybe someone has actually done this and could tell you specifically what kind of funny, if at all.

Posted · Report post

Yes, I have been proscribed a stimulant and strattera at the same time and my gf is currently taking focalin and strattera in conjunction with each other. Frankly, Strattera is a crappy enough ADD med that it doesn't do much good by itself. It's best used as an adjunct to a stimulant.

Posted · Report post

And, that doesn't mean it wouldn't make you feel... uh, funny.

What kind of funny? I don't rightly know.

Maybe someone has actually done this and could tell you specifically what kind of funny, if at all.

In an ideal world, the combination would increase the effects of the noradrenaline released by the stimulant, and increase the duration overall. Which tells you nothing if you don't have ADHD and have taken either group of drugs (stimulants, SNRI-ish ADs)

Best case example: picture being wide awake and in a "Dirty Harry" kind of calm - the kind that lets you observe the asshole cutting you off in traffic, maneuver to avoid if needed, and instead of getting pissed off or frustrated you can just continue on your way secure in the knowledge that they just got lucky. Maybe that's what "having icewater in his veins" would mean.

It's not happy or cuddly or fun, but it beats the HELL out of the usual brain fog, boredom, unnecessary distractions, more boredom, and general frustration.

The down side is that if you find yourself in a fight-or-flight situation, both meds synergize with adrenaline. Still relatively calm, but physically a shaky wreck.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for all the information. It's actually a bit help. I don't want to stay on both for a long time, unless it proves really helpful, but I want to sort of, get over the hump while starting Strattera. Ritalin doesn't do much for me, but the little bits it does are better than without. I'm on an antidepressant/anti anxiety med as well as a mood stabilizer, so with any luck it will help with any issues of shakiness? Maybe? I hope...

I just really want to find a med or combo that works for me. I really hate the foggy, groggy, wandering, forgetting brain I have ;)

Posted · Report post

I take Strattera at night for sleep (go fucking figure), and my doc has told me it has ad properties as well (who knew?). I take Adderall 30mg during the day and the combo works really well for me. Good luck!