Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ALCOHOL! Do you think it makes your feelings come forward?

What are your experiences with hindsight on the effect of alcohol on your emotions?   42 votes

1. 1. Do you think that when you are under the influence of alcohol it removes your inhibitions and shows how you feel RIGHT THEN or is it ALL false?

• Alcohol removes my inhibitions and reveals my true feelings AT THE TIME
    • Alcohol removes my inhibitions and reveals my true feelings IN GENERAL
    • Alcohol makes me feel better than I would without it
    • Alcohol makes me feel worse than I would without it
    • Alcohol interacts with my meds so I don't drink
    • I don't drink as a rule

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm curious. I know none of us should drink as a rule because it alters our state of mind and complicates our treatment, but there's no denying some of us do.

Personally, I find it can enhance feelings, good or bad. I use it as an emotional crutch, in part because my meds aren't enough. Yes, I know I need to speak to the docs about it, but I have to wait til next month for my appt, and even then, I'm gonna struggle to get across how I feel. But that's irrelevant to this poll.

Thanks in advance to anyone with an opinion, and feel free to share your experiences.

Posted

What if you drink, but not to the point of impairment and altered feelings? A beer has about as much effect on my feelings as tea.

Not that I don't ever drink to impairment, but. Perhaps I'm quibbling too much.

Posted

Alcohol generally just calms me a bit and I feel pleasantly woozy. Anything more than a glass or two I get nauseous, dizzy, and loosey goosey. The meds have definitely increased my sensitivity to alcohol tenfold. I could check all of those categories except the last.

Posted

I don't drink at all - to be honest I figure I probably have an addictive personality and I don't want to go down that road at all.

Posted

I voted for makes me feel better. I enjoy a drink in almost any situation that is appropriate. I feel relaxed and more social. But it doesn't always make my true feelings come forward, like I won't reveal any deep dark secrets or anything. And I'm never a sad or angry drinker. But after a couple of drinks I do things I wouldn't do sober, like dance at a club, karaoke, etc..

And when I've had a rough day for whatever reason having a drink after calms me nicely.

I have a very high tolerance, you will rarely find me drunk.

Posted (edited)

I do drink occassionally. Maybe once a month, often less frequently than that. It's a take it or leave it thing with me. I can leave it for months. If I drink, it's usually one... sometimes two drinks.

I feel like my inhibitions are lowered if I have more than two drinks. I don't feel my "true feelings" are revealed if I've been drinking.

In the past, drinking more then two drinks made me say dumb things. Gosh, I'd hope those weren't my "true feelings." If that's the case, then I guess I was an a**hole in real life, and alcohol just helped unmask my true nature. Unfortunately, if I'd had a few ... or more, it was easier to put my foot in my mouth. And I don't like to behave like that, thus my two drink maximum now.

The other reason I don't drink more than my one or two drinks is that I think it interferes with my meds rather than helps them. After even one drink, I'll sometimes feel depressed the next day.

My opinion... I'd share with the pdoc about your drinking. He/she might have some insight/recommendations for you. I guess you already said you would do that. Anyway, that's my two cents...

Edited by spork

Posted

I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

J/K.

I don't normally drink. When I do it's usually no more than 2 beers with dinner.

I don't think it makes my underlying feelings come to the surface.

In the past I drank more heavily but I don't now.

Posted

I've never found alcohol to interfere with my meds or my moods, so I won't deny that I drink. (Hell, I drank way too much last night!) It does make me say my true feelings at the time, and sometimes my true feelings in general, but I have still only spoken about mental illness with close friends. I have revealed a lot of crushes, though! Sometimes I also lie, which is kind of weird, because I don't ever really lie when I'm not drunk.

I didn't click that it makes me feel better because I drink it, because I think in general, it doesn't make me feel worse or better. However, when I'm out with friends in an environment where there is drinking, I do feel better when I drink. We end up being silly and having fun and being normal 24-year-olds... and I don't get to be a normal 24-year-old a lot, so it does make me feel better in that way. I also find it nice to have a beer or a glass of scotch or wine at the end of the day, particularly a stressful one. It can just be soothing at the end of a long day, and I feel better. Then again, I also like the taste of all of those drinks, so I guess it's not really that odd. And having a glass of wine while reading a book when it's raining outside is one of my favorite things ever. (Except I live in Texas, and I think I've now forgotten what rain IS because it's been so long.)

Posted

I don't drink NOW, but i used to. when I drank it didn't bring out the "real" me, it just made me act the fool. Which is why I didn't drink very often - or to excess - except that one year where I drank a lot. Other than that, I tried not to drink all that much.

Posted

I voted for makes me feel better. I enjoy a drink in almost any situation that is appropriate. I feel relaxed and more social. But it doesn't always make my true feelings come forward, like I won't reveal any deep dark secrets or anything. And I'm never a sad or angry drinker. But after a couple of drinks I do things I wouldn't do sober, like dance at a club, karaoke, etc..

And when I've had a rough day for whatever reason having a drink after calms me nicely.

I have a very high tolerance, you will rarely find me drunk.

This is exactly how I feel too.

LG

Posted

I hardly ever drink anymore. I did enjoy the more ummm people person I was when drunk but the complete lack of self control was no fun... at least after I wasn't drunk anymore.

Posted

I drink to make myself feel better. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it allows me to admit things to myself which are important to work through, so it's helpful. Sometimes it lets through feelings that I'm not able to deal with right there and then.

I feel I need something more than my current meds, but I know that alcohol isn't necessarily the best answer. I will talk to my doc about it at my next appt, but on previous experience I'm not hopeful of a better solution. My long-running problems with docs leave me with little confidence of that, but I will try to explain what has been going on and how badly it all affects my life, my family, and my hopes for the future. Time to lay my cards on the table. I just hope that doesn't mean putting my family out even more than my MI has done already.

I personally think that alcohol takes away my inbuilt thoughts/feelings censor, whether for good or bad. I don't want to drink, but feel the need to. That tells me that I have issues that need to be addressed.

I guess the best thing to say is that drinking = trouble if you have nobody to work through the aftermath with. And I intend to work on that. My last two doc appts resulted in being told I'd be referred for therapy, but I've heard nothing. So I'll chase that up, and hopefully I'll find a better way to accept how I feel.

Posted

http://www.medindia....Out-33618-1.htm

I love alcohol and do still drink, but don't want to. Ultimately it makes everything worse, well for people with MI anyway.

Posted

Alcohol is dangerous because of my bipolar meds and family history of alcoholism. I do not drink for my moods.

On occasion, a social occasion I might have one drink or one glass of wine.

That is all I can handle.

So, maybe one alcoholic beverage every two weeks.

I always have bourbon more than one bottle at home because I like it.

But I seldom drink my bourbon.

I have enough problems without becoming the alcoholic that I know is just waiting to come out and take over my life.

No thank you dual diagnosis. Not in my life.

Posted

I rarely drink anymore, and when i do, it will be less than one drink - usually a sip or two of my partner's drink. Unless i eat a l iarge meal (and i normally eat smaller meals) i can usually only handle 1/2 glass max of anything standard drink sized these days.

I don't enjoy being drunk but I do enjoy the taste of alcohol. I used to have quite a high tolerance before I started meds. I now find that I get drunk almost immediately, which is pretty much sedation, coordination problems and nausea. All from only a few sips sometimes. I also get a hangover, which is not enjoyable. Prior to meds, i didn't have any of those problems, and I could drink up to 7 drinks in a night without a problem. These days i avoid it.

I found that as a stressed/anxious person I enjoyed the relaxing effects of it but this also concerned me because i was not in control. I think i tend to be a bit more reckless, open, talkative and affectionate under the influence. This is ok near my partner, and not ok if i'm out with other people, especially guys. I'm a lot better these days, i.e. if i have more than a few sips and feel quite intoxicated, i am a lot more well behaved.

I also feel that i have an addictive personality, i also have a family history of alcoholism and diabetes so these are also good reasons for avoiding it.

isis.

Posted

Alcohol makes me affectionate. Occasionally I sink half a bottle of wine at home with my honey but other than that I'm sober!