Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

back in the days of thorazine and haldol...

9 posts in this topic

Posted

why was it back in the days of haldol and thorazine they used to give massive amounts of it?

Posted

Ever heard a psych hospital called a looneybin?

There was an expectation that when someone was schizophrenic, they would go to the hospital to stay, and, at best come home for a visit or two. Rehabilitation was pretty much impossible. Docs had no tools with which to fight the symptoms, so they just really warehoused people.

Believe it or not, for some people getting a frontal lobotomy was actually a big improvement over this.

Then Thorazine and Haldol came along.

They did make people better in the sense that it made them less violent and more manageable in an institutional setting, as well as providing relief of symptoms to some degree.

And they seemed happier.

So the docs went pill-happy.

Since they were never expected to get out, the Tardive Dyskinesia they got from the meds was not considered a problem.

Posted

ever read the book, "My Lobotomy". That book is scary. Thank God they came up with meds to control symptoms rather than lobotomies!

Posted

What makes you think they used to give massive amounts of it?

The dosing range on Thorazine is really wide so you start small and work your way up to pretty large dose. It's like Seroquel in that respect.

But seriously, I want to know what the basis is for this claim?

Posted

The dosing range on Thorazine is really wide so you start small and work your way up to pretty large dose. It's like Seroquel in that respect.

Posted (edited)

My age is going to show here, but I took APs in the days before there were no AAPs. I wasn't given massive amounts of them. I was given enough to help. Just like today.

I was in a long-term psychiatric facility and they didn't over medicate me there either.

Edited by sylvan

Posted

google. internet. psych nurse. nurse said when thorazine first came out they had to give 2000mg of it coz they had nothing else to give them(schizophrenics). now days the recommended max dose is 800mg. so 2000mg is a shit load and would knock you out!

Posted

My dad used to give me thorazine for upset stomachs. I kid you not.

Posted (edited)

FFNOP: you posted your question in a "dead" thread that is 4 years old, so I have split it out into its own thread, together with the other two posts on the medication you're asking about.  You can find the link in the Antipsychotic forum..

Edited by MiaB