Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seroquel dreams/nightmares

83 posts in this topic

Posted

Ever since I started taking seroquel- several months ago- I have the most vivid, long-lasting, mind-boggling, at-times disturbing, and often downright torturous. Is that normal. Does anyone have these problems. They are similar to those depictions of someone hallucinating on tv(which is never what hallucinating is really like!). I am, strangely enough, not scared during these dreams, as if I am too drugged to feel anything. But they torture me and haunt me and are so disturbing to wake up to. Weird does not begin to describe it. I wouldn't even call it nightmares, because I don't feel frightened, I feel tortured. Is it just me? Or does anyone else have this problem? mel

Posted

hi mel,

yes, i have the same types of dreams that you describe. i am on 50 mg seroquel for sleep. i have fought in more battles in my dreams than i could care to recount. i've certainly never held a military gun but i could describe in detail the ones that i have fought with in my dreams. they truly are exhausting dreams.

grouse.

Posted

I've been on seroquel for over 3 years and it erases any dreams for me, I wake up and its just nothing.  The only time I've had vivid and weird dreams is when I was tapering off zoloft.

Posted

I've had vivid, awful, dreams in the past -- ones where I would wake up screaming. But they aren't connected to Seroquel. The dreams have completely disappeard after some other adjustments in my meds, but the Seroquel dose is exactly the same as always.

I'm not surprised if Seroquel is the culprit -- but is there anything else it could be? Stress in your life? Other med change?

Hoping for a good night's sleep.

Fiona

Posted

Seroquel isn't supposed to give you freaky bad nightmares.  In fact its supposed to help you sleep deep without dreaming too much!  If you get nightmares from seroquel, its probably some kind of adverse reaction to it.

PBF

Posted

I actually took seroquel to stop having vivid violent nightmares- it worked.  maybe you should ask your doctor, could be conflicting with another med you're on?

Posted

Well, I sleep really well almost every night. My life is about the least stressful right now-*knocks on wood*- and, as far as I know, I don't have any drug interactions other than taking benzos and seroquel making me more tired. I have always been a very vivid dreamer-maybe cuz I'm an artist- but these are doozies. I wouldn't even call them nightmares. mel

Posted

I took Seroquel for a month of the most vivid, lifelike, Technicolor dreams. Some were wild, most just vivid, a few unsettling. I think that the dreams area reflestion of what is going through your mind.  I chose to remember them and ponder the greater concepts expressed in them and how they applied to my life. Sometimes obvious and heldful,  sometimes a dream is just a dream.

A.M.

Posted

Hmmmm....I'm taking Seroquel and have never had funky dreams from it. Now the Effexor Xr that I am on gives me real screamers - Very vivid, VERY real

Posted (edited)

What, I dream?  ;)

I had some terribly vivid, abstract-artist-on-the-boardwalk dreams when I first started taking it, but that has since fizzled into nothingness.  It was kind of fun while it lasted.

Edited by lmnop

Posted

i've always been a vivid dreamer, though during my depressions my dreams usually range from slow-mo disturbing to wake up and look at my hands in disbelief bc i'm not seeing blood on them.  But the Seroquel, now and before when i took it, makes me sleep deeper so i dream even more vividly, but no nightmares.  Let's just say these dreams have impressed me with the power of my own imagination and has restored my faith in my artistic abilities.

i think it could be an adverse reaction or maybe it's something psychological your brain is trying to tell you while you're all unconscious-like and with the undivided attention.

Either way, have you told your tdoc?

Posted

I have the same problem with Seroquel. I forgot to mention that in my thread about hallucinating on the stuff.

But yes, the dreams are really disturbing and so vivid and almost lucid but so much is going on that I can't control myself in them or wake up form them.

Some are very disturbing and so bizarre I can't even talk about them without feeling embarassed for having them.

You know, the Chinese acupuncturists often ask about vivid or excessive dreaming as a symptom of something wrong other than the mind at night. I sometimes feel so engrossed in these dreams that I am sure it is why I wake up exhausted sometimes. Too much mental activity to actually feel like I have gotten a good night's sleep, which is one of the reasons I bother to take this drug.

Lynne

Lynne.

Posted

I talked to my pdoc about this-- I've had yucky vivid gorefest dreams on both Seroquel and Risperdal.  He said that if you're not psychotic, then antipsychotics can actually make you psychotic, since they work on that part of your brain that experiences psychotic symptoms.

Gorey, bloody and disturbing dreams (with no overt emations attached)-- paranoia-- anxiety-- racing thoughts.  I'm in the process of getting off Risperdal right now.  APs just ain't workin'.

Fox

Posted (edited)

Yep, Seroquel 100 mg! The ones you have just before awakening are the ones that stick in your head all day! Alice in Wonderland type stuff mixed in with real people and situations in your life... Some can be disturbing, but nonetheless insightful...

Jafco

Edited by jafco

Posted

Yeah, totally. The dreams that stick in your head ALL DAY long. That is the perfect description.. Insightful, hmmmm.  Mine keep going back to scenes of my childhood for some reason - places I grew up, even people I knew as a kid and never think about.

In fact, I dreampt that the boy I used to have a crush on and beat up for kicking my dog, and who my best freind and I decided to tie him up naked and take polaroids of him, except he got so scared he jumped out of the second story window and a bird bath broke his fall. His over-protective mother comes over and bitches me out - asked what I was laughing about. I said it's not her property, I can laugh if I want.

(I was ten years old!)

So last night, I dreampt that this kid is still living with his overprotective mother at age 39 and I find myself driving around with him in our old stomping grounds. We get around to trying to have sex. He's still a virgin but with a shlong so big, he has to put one of those blue plastic newspaper covers (for when it's raining) over his dick. But then his mother starts yelling for him just like in the old days and he has to run home.

I woke up laughing so hard. Couldn't get it out of my head all day - the image of the newpaper plastic going over this huge shlong!

Posted

the blue plastic was used for a condom.

Anyway, sorry. I went off on a tangent, but it's an example of what is going on and it's getting pretty distracting.

Posted

I have been on Seroquel 25mgs for about 10 days.  My dreams have been extraordinarly vivid and memorable, but not necessarily disturbing.  I can't remember ever being able to remember dreams with the amount of detail I can now. If it's supposed to make you sleep deeply and dream less, it's a horrible failure.  Personally, I don't mind the dreams at all, it's kind of a cool, creative burst for my brain.

Seroquel and Trazodone together give me a kind of drunk feeling before I fall asleep.  I slur my speech a little and have slightly more difficulty maintaining balance.  I also get really super anxious for a bit before I crash. I wish I knew what that was all about.

Posted

I had a nightmare last night.  It freaked me out cuz when I woke up I was scared to go to the bathroom.  Even though I knew it was dumb, i had to check behind things (shower curtains, doors, etc.) to get there.  I have the occassional nightmare (can't remember the last) but i'm guessing this one is seroquel related.

Posted

I've had more relaxing and sound sleep since Seroquel. Once in a while I'll have a freak ass dream, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted

Someone else said it best. Technicolor type dreams, alice in wonderland crazy stuff. Kinda like what I imagine an acid trip would be like. I never touched the stuff since i already see things and believe i can see and hear spirits sometimes. Sometimes my dreams are so real and vivid i sometimes have a hard time from telling if i had already woken up or not.

Oh yeah, My name is Michelle and I am new to this place. But love it so far. I dont feel so alone now. Hello all My name is Michelle and I am Mentally Challenged.

Posted

Yup, hectically weird and sometimes terrifying dreams on 50mg of Seroquel...

Posted

I just recently started Seroquel.  I have noticed more vivid dreams since beginning it.  I take 250 mg.  The dreams aren't particularly scary or disturbing, but they all include various quantities of blood at some point in time.  It is odd.

Posted

;) I have been taking seroquel for like, i dont know, a few months, a year.. Every night I have this horrible vivid dreams of people close to me dying, and OH NO, it doesn't end there, I sit, and I cry, and I cry some more, and I tell people, and they cry, and then usually it trails off into people trying to kill me after my family died, and then EVENTUALLY, long hours it seems later, I wake, and I THINK OF THAT DREAM ALL DAY, it haunts me like nothing else, and I wish I didn't dream.

Posted (edited)

While it is bad enough,

At night.The horrible

Gory monsters,

Truly Evil Humans,

the helplessness,

of knowing,

that you can't change

Or stop it.

My daytime horror

stories are very sharp,

I've crawled down off the bed,

steaming sweat and trying

to Re-Orient myself,Sometimes I don't

recognize my own dwelling,

for like five minutes.(seems like an eternity)

BTW,before I forget

where I was headed,

I take 600mg Soquel

100 am,200 nights,

It can turn you

clueless,it interferes

with my balance

Simply navigating

up to my truck,

is a possible(should stasis quit driving?)

disaster.

My rig is tall,even I need

climb in(@6')

in the last seroqel,

I fell out of the truck,

Yeah,it hurt,

but nobody saw,I think-hope.

Other than those little thangs,

it does keep me off the ceiling,

So I have mixed feelings,

wading,mentally though

thick fog or

the teeth rattling

mania cycle.

Speaking of fog,We got it.

A meandering Stasis

Edited by Stasis

Posted

It can turn you

clueless,it interferes

with my balance

Simply navigating

up to my truck,

is a possible(should stasis quit driving?)

Speaking of fog,We got it.

A meandering Stasis

Yes... stasis should stop driving when taking seroquel...