Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

how fast does a Prozac dose increase work?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm wondering how long people think it takes to respond to an increase in dose with Prozac.

I've been taking it again for a while, ramping up a bit as we get deeper into the SAD season. ( I don't have the dx, but December is my least favorite month, by far.) I was prescribed 10mg, but I started with 5, then alternated 5 and 10, then up to 10. Even with 5 there was definitely an improvement. Between the short days and stress at work*, the Prozac and the anxiety and depression have been neck and neck. Sometimes one is winning, sometimes the other. My default mood is sort of ok most of the time, but I'm really lackadaisical about getting things done, and I'm spacier than normal, and sometimes I get kind of anxious. Trying to decide if I should ask for a dose increase or if the lengthening days are going to take care of it before the extra Prozac does.

Thanks in advance.

*plus my Dad died in May, which probably started me down this path again

Edited by ldo

Posted

It can take for fucking ever.

Six weeks or so.

If you're taking it for SAD it could be spring before you reach a good dose. I took 60 mgs.

Posted

I know this is off-topic but do you find Wellbutrin or Dexedrine to exacerbate the anxiety you mentioned?

When I was on Wellbutrin I was very stressed, anxious and hardly slept. I just couldn't relax.

Dexedrine and Ritalin made me feel sort of "too alert". Like I'd be in class and be very focused on the lecturer but I'd feel as though everyone was watching me, kinda tense.

Anyway.. To answer your question I generally think of it like however long the med took to kick in initially (or from when the target/recommended dose was reached) is how long it will probably take for there to be any benefit of a dose increase. I haven't ever taken Prozac but from memory I think CrazyMeds says it can take 8 weeks! It might've been "up to 8 weeks" though.

Posted

Yeah, prozac can take up to 8 weeks to START noticing. It is not the most fast acting shit out there....

Anna

Posted

Well, I've been taking the low dose for a while, and it works, some. Was thinking maybe an increase might work faster. Hmmm...

Posted

I think Welbutrin CAN make me more vulnerable to anxiety, but it doesn't make me anxious all the time. Dexedrine is much less anxiety provoking than Adderall was. I think I'd have to take more to get the effect you describe, but it's a delicate balance because it I take too much it might aggravate a couple of my other health problems. Have discussed dropping the Welbutrin with tdoc, but have not done so yet.

The first time I took Prozac, I noticed effects within a couple of weeks. I think this time it was faster. My s.o. noticed changes within a week.

Actually, I've been taking the 15mg for a few days, and I think I'm starting to notice something.

Posted (edited)

Well, I've been taking the low dose for a while, and it works, some. Was thinking maybe an increase might work faster. Hmmm...

I remember Prozac taking FOREVER this time, probably on the longer side of the 6-8 weeks commonly described. But I started at 20mg. However, my pdoc likes to wait a month before an increase to see if it's going to be effective as to not over-medicate me. I was up to 70mg, but have slowly backed down to 60mg.

Cinna...

Edit: wrong number

Edited by cinnamaldehyde