Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
llama44

Latuda?

89 posts in this topic

I know the primary of this thread is on Latuda, but I wan to give you a history of the meds I was on in the past and present in terms of AAPs. I wasn't achieving success with symptom control without side effects with Zyprexa or Risperdal, Seroquel, Invega, Abilify, or Geodon. Most of them gave me either stiff muscles or akathisia, nether side effect of which Cogentin helped me with. So I at one point had to try some of the APs when in the hospital.

I was tried on Navane (akathisia), Thorazine (allergy), and then the decision was made to try Zyprexa again. I did and it made me restless at 5mg per day. (even with 2mg Cogentin BID). So the psychiatrist told me for me and mom to decide on a med for me to take and he would be content with working me on a steady dose. I chose to give Clozaril (Clozapine) a shot.

I'm very glad I did. Even though in the beginning I was only worked up to 100mg in the hospital and it wasn't a sufficient dose to keep me out of the hospital, my current pdoc did work with my dose (now I'm on 300mg HS), to help me stay out of the hospital and improve my symptoms and mood state.

Even though your doctor may be wanting you to try the latest meds, just because they are new, newer isn't always better. I notice that you are in the hospital a lot and that your meds are switched constantly.

I'm not a doc so I can't make conclusions, but did you ever try Clozaril (clozapine)? Did you doc ever figure it a possible idea if the other meds don't work for you?

At the appropriate dose for me, not only does Clozaril (clozapine) help the schizo side of the SZA but it also helps the manic side of the BP of the SZA too.

I hope this helps and I wish you luck in your treatment decisions,

Andy.

Thanks for the helpful post Andy. I really appreciate it. Clozaril was brougt up a few times but I have never been on it. You're right. Maybe that's the next stop. I hate going to the hospital and trying so many meds all the time! I get so frustrated! I'll have to see what my pdoc wants to do on mon.

I just started on Latuda myself. It has calmed my mania... sort of. But I am so tired all of the time and wondering if I can take it at bedtime... Also have noted a few panic attacks, but not severe like the mania I just went thru which was the worst episode I have ever had. Good luck. Would love to know how you are doing on it!

My pdoc started me on Latuda today. Is anyone else here on it? I hope it helps me sleep. You have to take it with food he said. I hope it curbs the mania. He started me on the lowest dose of 40mg. It's supposedly weight neutral. But I'll believe that when I see it. I hope it is. Saphris sure wasn't for me anyways. He took me off the saphris.

It's a once a day pill that has to be taken with at least 350 calories of food. I don't know if you'd be able to take it at bedtime (since you need to take it with some food) but you might be able to take it in the evening. (talk to your doc about that).

Doesn't make me tired at all so I am now taking it with dinner. I've been on it for weeks now. Not sleeping well. Still pretty manic but not as bad just as of today. So maybe I'm starting to come down. Not sure.

Anyways i hope it works well for you.

I knew after day 2 this was not for me. I got so manic I wanted to hump anyone. Not a good idea.

I knew after day 2 this was not for me. I got so manic I wanted to hump anyone. Not a good idea.

I feel ya. Ugh. Unfortunately no one is listening to me re: my pdoc. I said didn't think it was working and he of course disagreed.

I don't think Latuda is for me. The hard part is getting my pdoc to believe that...he must think I'm the biggest whiner, because I suffer from substantial side effects from most drugs...but I really do! First, Latuda made manic. Now, a week later, I'm so depressed that I can't do anything but sleep. I feel like I've had my personality surgically removed. My answer to every question for the last three days has been, "I don't know" or "I don't care." Any tips on getting your pdoc to believe that you're not just, well, crazy and you're really not reacting well to something?

I feel ya. Ugh. Unfortunately no one is listening to me re: my pdoc. I said didn't think it was working and he of course disagreed.

I'm trying to listen, but weren't you on an antipsychotic that was working better than the Latuda? (I may be mistaken). If so, why did you go off it?

I remember a time when I was on Zyprexa and the only side effect I had with it was weight gain and my mom told me not to worry about it because when I went back to school (college), I'd be more active and I'd start to lose the weight. (and the Zyprexa was working well at the time). But I complained to the psychiatrist I had at the time the whole summer that I was gaining weight and I didn't like that. Then when I went back to college and I was starting to lose some of the weight they were trying to make me feel good, but I wasn't having any of it and I wanted off the Zyprexa. The psychiatrist complied with my wishes, but ever since going off the Zyprexa (when it was working), I never had the same reaction when trailing it in the future.

I think that's why my doctors and my mom tell me that once you get on a regimen that works, you stick with it and don't change it. And there is some science behind that if you go off a medication, it may not work the same the 2nd or 3rd time you take it, so if it works the first time and you get a side effect, unless it is completely bothersome, see if you can live with it.

For me, I have 3 side effects from the Clozaril, 1 being treated by a counteracting med, and 2 that I choose to live with:

1. constipation - treated by colace

2. hypersalivation / drooling - live with

3. anorgasmia - live with

I don't know if this post helps but I wanted to get it out there.

I remember changing meds constantly and unless necessary it's not a good idea.

I don't know if this is true or not, but my mom (who I know is not a doctor), but she says that the meds that we take even though it's for the brain, it still travels through the heart and changing meds around all the time she says could put un-do stress on the heart because it has to pump all the medications that are in your system. (now I know she's not a doctor, but that's what she says and when I ask her about it, she tell me it's common since "on a roll").

I don't know if this post was helpful or not, but I felt the need to get it out of my system.

yeah lots of things have worked better than latuda. I don't want to get into it right now but there are many reasons why (and I've stated them before). My pdoc is an ass. He changes things at whim. Listens to me when he shouldn't and doesn't listen to me when he should. It's not fun. You can't even imagine the hell I go through with him.

I'm really starting to wonder if this stuff is poison or not. Haven't felt "right" in the head since I began it. My heart feels like it's beating weird at times. I don't feel like I have hardly a shred of sanity left. But the med seems to be working according to my pdoc and case manager. WTF? I'm wondering if there is a phone number I can call to report to this company about their poison. Like I bet they don't know it causes insomnia, irregular heart beat, and doesn't helpm with mania. I bet they don't know that and if they do then they are hiding it for profit. It's so new that no one know any of this stuff. It's my job to inform people.

One thing I do know is, if you don't want to deal with your pdoc, can you try getting the medications from your gdoc: explaining the situation to him/her and see if he/she could monitor your meds until you find another pdoc?

Other than Zyprexa, this is the only AAP helping me with my Bipolar II and Depression. On Zyprexa I gained 35 lbs. in 3 months so I had to stop it. I've only been on Latuda for about 5 days.. hopefully the weight will magically disappear.

I've been on Latuda for 10 days. I was having a mixed episode and not sleeping. I was on 40mg for 2 days. It didn't make me sleepy at all. Then I ran into my pdoc when I was getting bloodwork done. He increased it to 80mg a day. I take it with dinner. It does not knock me out. I am feeling MUCH better and sleeping WELL.

I am a fan of Latuda so far. And it doesn't make me hungry like seroquel does. Fingers crossed!

Oreo :)

I have been on latuda now for a month. I am now on 80mg. I find that the 80mg is more helpful than the 40mg. I am now in the state hospital, however and unfortunately. They didn't carry it here even yet. I had to go without it for 2 days while they were trying to get it in.

I have been on latuda now for a month. I am now on 80mg. I find that the 80mg is more helpful than the 40mg. I am now in the state hospital, however and unfortunately. They didn't carry it here even yet. I had to go without it for 2 days while they were trying to get it in.

This is so off topic, but I didn't know you could get on the computer in the state hospital. That's kind of cool. Of course, I've never been in a state hospital, just the smaller ones.

Hi, this is my first post. I saw my pdoc today and she recommended trying Latuda if my symptoms don't improve by my next appt. I am Bipolar II and I'm currently taking: Lamictal 400mg, Seroquel XR 150mg, and Wellbutrin SR 300mg. Ever since I started the Seroquel I've had little to no hypomania, but my depression continues to be a constant problem. For me the only positive thing about this illness is the hypomania, so now I'm stuck with just the depression.

My pdoc seems to think atypical antipsychotics are my best bet. I've tried Abilify in the past and I experienced what some others are experiencing on the Lutuda. Within two days of taking it I reached full blown mania, something I had not ever experienced.

I can't up my dose of the Seroquel because when I have in the past I've experienced weight gain. I've struggled with an eating disorder since I was 16, so it's really hard for me to feel comfortable taking a medication that causes weight gain. I'm leaning towards Lutuda because it does seem to be more weight neutral.

I know that for many of you, your problem resides with mania, but does anyone have any suggestions on medications that really helped with depression? Is anyone seeing an improvement in their depression from taking Latuda?

My depression feels better with the Latuda but my pdoc & tdoc told me I'm manic today. I'm keeping on the Latuda for now, dropping my Effexor to 75mg & Nuvigil to either 75mg or none. I'm hoping it is not the Latuda adding to my mania. I feel so much better than the past 2-3 months of depression.

Oreo

My depression feels better with the Latuda but my pdoc & tdoc told me I'm manic today. I'm keeping on the Latuda for now, dropping my Effexor to 75mg & Nuvigil to either 75mg or none. I'm hoping it is not the Latuda adding to my mania. I feel so much better than the past 2-3 months of depression.

Oreo

Thanks for the info!I hope the Lutuda works for you! I know how good it feels to get a little mania after a long depression. I am going on month 3 of the depression I'm in. I'm normally a rapid cycler so I don't have depressive periods for longer than a couple weeks tops. This one seems like it's never going to end. I had read about Nuvigil being used off the label for depression, my pdoc isn't crazy about using drugs off label, so i never brought it up to her. Has Nuvigil helped with you depression any?

Thanks for the info!I hope the Lutuda works for you! I know how good it feels to get a little mania after a long depression. I am going on month 3 of the depression I'm in. I'm normally a rapid cycler so I don't have depressive periods for longer than a couple weeks tops. This one seems like it's never going to end. I had read about Nuvigil being used off the label for depression, my pdoc isn't crazy about using drugs off label, so i never brought it up to her. Has Nuvigil helped with you depression any?

The Nuvigil (in the past Provigil) helps pull me out of the depression. But it can activate my mania so it is one of the last meds I take for a severe depression and one of the first meds I drop when I start going up. It really has been a life saver at times.

Oreo

Interesting. I'll definitely talk with my pdoc about it. I would love to have something to give me a little push out of the dark hole I'm in.

This is so off topic, but I didn't know you could get on the computer in the state hospital. That's kind of cool. Of course, I've never been in a state hospital, just the smaller ones.

Yeah, they have a library. It's like a campus really. lol

And I have been less manic on 80mg of latuda. But I also started lithium so it's hard to tell if the lithium is working or if it's the latuda or both!!

I experience rapid cycling. My mania is extreme irritability instead grandiose feeligs. I experienced 4 manic expisodes last year but have never been hospitalized thank God. My psych usually tells me to take xanex 3 times a day and ambien at night to knock me out until my body catches up on sleep which I go as log as 1 week with out any sleep. I when first diagnosed they put me on lamictal, xanex (been taking since I was 19 for panic attacks) and zoloft. Saphtis was then introduced Ito the mix and it completely knocked me out. I couldn't even wake up for y daughter's 1st birthday party. Has anyone experienced that with saphris?

Anyway, I've been reading about everyone taking Antidepressants for their depression but I've found antideppressants flip me which ice read is common in people with bipolar. I was then diagnose wit ADD and put on Adderall 40mg a day. I feel it works well for my concentration but my psych thinks it makes me more irritable so he took me off of it. This is now my third doctor and I love him. Lamictal has sone absolutely nothing for me and I'm on 400mg a day along with klonipin (sp???). The klonpan is the only thing that calms me and that's not even enough. I am currently coming off a manic episode, the worst I've ever had. Psyc says I was heading into a psychotic episode which he wanted to hospitalize at that I

e buty body f ally shut down after 3 weeks of only 1 hour of sleep a day and that's because my husband would literally drag me to bed. I slept for 3 days last weekend and I'm finally in what we believe is my normal hypomanic self which after 2 years is the best I get. I was just out on Latuda and was told to start it this weekend to see how my body reacted to the sedation. Lamictal obviously wasn't working. I'm so nervous to start it after reading everyones experiece. Psych said he's put 10 bipolar patients on it and has only had to increase to 80mg with one patient and so far it's help all patients. He even said one patient as he put it "lost a crap load of weight". He told me to take it 40 minutes before bed and to eat something with it like yogurt. He wants me to get at least 5.5 hours of sleep a night t get me stable which I can remember the last time I slept that long besides my crashes. I take klonipin twice a day and now take qmbuen to help me sleep. Yeah try telling a man personcto take ambien when it feels so good not to sleep and ackomplish so much. It's 1:52am and I've noticed how longvtbis post is..lol.