Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Your approx. cost per day as a psychiatric ward inpatient?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I read that eventually practically everyone with SZ or SZA spends some time in a psych ward. I haven't yet, and I am wondering how much it costs, out of pocket. (I understand it will vary depending on where you live, what type of insurance plan you have, and what type of ward it is (intensive psych care, locked/unlocked), etc. Those who have been there or who know, can you give a rough idea how much it cost you per day?

Posted (edited)

I have been hospitalized 8 times and with my previous insurance, I paid nothing out-of-pocket if I was admitted. My current insurance (they decided to get rid of the better insurance at work), I pay $400 the first day after fulfilling my deductible, then I just pay $100 a day. Without insurance, the hospital I go to (locked ward) runs about $2000 a day. Of course insurance and medical costs vary all over the place.

Tommy

edited to correct some spelling errors

Edited by Her Tommy

Posted

this was 9 yrs ago but it was a locked ward and treatment alone was 700 then there was food, house keeping and meds, 72hrs came out to about 1400 bucks

Posted

When I was admitted in November, I spent three nights and three days there and the total came to around $6000. That's what it would have been out of pocket, but my insurance covered it at the time. So about $2000 a day.

Posted

I spent a week in the hospital in 2007, and once again in 2008. I only paid a copay, but I believe each of the visits came to about $4000.

Posted

this was 9 yrs ago but it was a locked ward and treatment alone was 700 then there was food, house keeping and meds, 72hrs came out to about 1400 bucks

Does anyone know whether the patient is responsible for the hospital fees if they're kept for a 72-hour observation involuntarily? It doesn't quite seem fair to have to be held against your will and then have to pay for it to boot. Not that life is fair... just curious.

Posted

For me, a week in the hospital cost around $4000 but copay was around $1300, somewhere in that range.

Posted

$500 dollars extra without prior authorization. $100 dollar per day copay, maximum 26 days covered.

Posted

Does anyone know whether the patient is responsible for the hospital fees if they're kept for a 72-hour observation involuntarily? It doesn't quite seem fair to have to be held against your will and then have to pay for it to boot. Not that life is fair... just curious.

Based on 2 relatives that had this experience (at different hospitals with different insurances), Yes you do have to pay.

db

Posted

The state hospital that I'm at is around $500 a day I believe. It's c heaper because it's a state hospital. My medicare doesn't cover it but my other insurance does. So I'm not sure of the bill after insurance. But I don't really pay on this bill because of my low income. But I do owe the state hospital around $80,000 to $90,000 by now.

The private hospital that I stayed at in my community I owe $35,000 because I stayed there for over 21 days which is the limit for medicaid. But I am working on an application that may take care of all or at least part of that bill.

Being crazy ain't cheap.