Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

does risperdal change your metabolism?

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

i know that zyprexa and seroquel change your metabolism. i'm not sure how, but i think they mess with what the body consumes from the food you eat and in what order. i'm really bad at all this metabolism stuff. my question is, does risperdal do the same? because i definitely have the munchies on it, and i've gained something like 15 pounds and diet and exercise seem to be pretty inadequate in terms of helping to get rid of the extra pounds. how effective are exercise and diet change in fighting weight gain from risperdal? because i know they are not that effective with zyprexa or seroquel.

am i getting any of this right?

Posted · Report post

Unfortunately I can't answer your actual question (although I think I asked it a year ago and heard that it DOESN'T, but I don't remember), I can commiserate with you... When I was on Risperdal (3 mg) no matter how much I exercised and ate well, I didn't lose weight. Now I didn't gain a lot because I was trying to lose, but no matter what I did, I couldn't lose. It was very frustrating...

Posted · Report post

It's not as bad as Zyprexa and the worst of it is during the first couple months you are on it. After that carb cravings are usually the main cause of weight gain.

Posted (edited) · Report post

is there any medication to curve carb cravings? besides speed? i'm serious wall.gif

Edited by domovoi

Posted · Report post

is there any medication to curve carb cravings? besides speed? i'm serious wall.gif

It depends on your definition of "speed". Provigil killed my appitite more than amphetamine. I found after a while I could eat some and that was enough. I need to drop 25 pounds, so it was a good thing.

nf

Posted · Report post

I don't know how to curb the carb cravings, but i'm currently doing weight watchers and it's reversing the weight gain. slowly but surely.

eat lots of veggies or fruit and drink lots of water or diet soda/tea/plain coffee when you're having cravings. it gradually seems to work.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think it would effect metabolism. I've only tried Abilify and Geodon, and I've gained on both of those supposedly "weight neutral" drugs...well at least I got some Adderall to balance things out a bit.

Oh yeah, I did try Zyprexa too. That was obviously the worst in terms of weight gain.

Edited by alienonite

Posted · Report post

I am having a very difficult time losing weight on Risperdal, but I have lost a few pounds... very few, but still something. It does effect your metabolism, but for me, no where near Depakote or even Seroquel.