Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Refill dates for Schedule II

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

For those on Ritalin, or an amphetamine based stim (Adderal, Dexadrine, Yvyanse, et. al.) do you get a new script with a date of the last day of your old scrip ? Or does your doc give some overlap so you can refill while having some med left ?

While this is not a problem if you fill month to month as the new script can be filled and picked up in a day. But I have to do 90 day mail order scripts, so the processing time is longer.

I am looking at at least, with express mail, a 5 day wait. I have cheated and not taken Vyvanse on the weekend unless I have to so I have a few extra pills. It is just my luck that my present script ends and my new script begins on a Sunday.

nf

Edited by notfred

Posted

For those on Ritalin, or an amphetamine based stim (Adderal, Dexadrine, Yvyanse, et. al.) do you get a new script with a date of the last day of your old scrip ? Or does your doc give some overlap so you can refill while having some med left ?

I get a few scripts at a time, and the new script is dated exactly the day my old one runs out. I'm not sure if this is protocol with Schedule 2 meds or not, but it's a giant pain in the ass.

Posted (edited)

Month to month, no real overlap.. I think it was one day. But you have certain circumstances where you run out of meds for a short time. I'd talk to your pdoc and see what can be done.. they wouldn't want you to be out either.

Edit: And, yeah. It's protocol. I'm kind of thinking about a secondary script for a one week supply. If not for the Vyvanase, regular Adderall.. or something..

Edited by Cetkat

Posted

I too use a mail-order pharmacy. They send me a text message several days before a refill is due saying they have requested a new Rx from my physician, or that I need to do so, and telling me to call to schedule delivery. If the last day of the previous Rx is on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, they schedule delivery to avoid being without.

I understand that the category of meds is of primary importance, but perhaps the pharmacy and the insurance also plays a role in the process? Check with the mail order pharmacy to see if more convenient delivery can be arranged.

Posted

I suspect that the issue at hand is the DEA. Allowing early refills is something they often use as evidence of prescribing irregularity, especially on the controlled substances

nf.

Posted

I suspect that the issue at hand is the DEA. Allowing early refills is something they often use as evidence of prescribing irregularity, especially on the controlled substances

nf.

Yep. Sure is. The question is how early is early.. like how Xanax can be filled 4 or 3 days ahead of time. Also if it's possible for the script can be written earlier and post dated to the point where it's instantly fillable when the company receives it. So, hopefully, the company can process it faster. If that won't work how you need it to, I still suggest the two script option. Vyvanse may be flagged, but another ADD med has a chance of going though. It could just be written for a small amount. Anyway, these would be good things to talk to your pdoc about and see how he feels about all of this & what he sees as a reasonable possibility.

Posted

Month to month, no real overlap.. I think it was one day. But you have certain circumstances where you run out of meds for a short time. I'd talk to your pdoc and see what can be done.. they wouldn't want you to be out either.

Edit: And, yeah. It's protocol. I'm kind of thinking about a secondary script for a one week supply. If not for the Vyvanase, regular Adderall.. or something..

Yep, I will talk with him. He may have samples, he is very free with them. I would just do this one as a 30 day script but the price difference, 30 day script is $50, 90 day script is $50, is too great to pass up. $600 vs $200 a year.

nf

Posted

nf.

Damn...

Posted (edited)

Yep, I will talk with him. He may have samples, he is very free with them. I would just do this one as a 30 day script but the price difference, 30 day script is $50, 90 day script is $50, is too great to pass up. $600 vs $200 a year.

Samples would be excellent! I totally hear you with that. I'd definitely mail-order too. Just got to fix the gap somehow, you know. And, actually, most meds you can bring in a new script at anytime with a dose increase & they'll put it though. Of course that's with normal class meds. May not work with this class schedule. But, yeah.. a different dose or med in general should work without being flagged. The question is whether or not the pdoc is comfortable with doing that... but with a 5-7 day script, it doesn't seem like there would be a liability issue.

BTW, do you have insurance for the Vyvanase? Or is the mail order the base price?

Edited by Cetkat

Posted

BTW, do you have insurance for the Vyvanase?

Yes.

Posted

Shit. I was hoping that, although extremely unlikely, that the program was just that good and didn't require insurance, as it's not in my formulary until (hopefully) next year & I would very much prefer that. Oh well.. Thanks.

Posted

Shit. I was hoping that, although extremely unlikely, that the program was just that good and didn't require insurance, as it's not in my formulary until (hopefully) next year & I would very much prefer that. Oh well.. Thanks.

I have weird prescription insurance. They cover as preferred brand Vyvanse, Aplenzen, and Lamictal XR. Adderal XR is covered.

nf

Posted

I have weird prescription insurance. They cover as preferred brand Vyvanse, Aplenzen, and Lamictal XR. Adderal XR is covered.

nf

Yeah, mine just says Adderall. I need to call and find out what variations of that are covered. The Strattera is helping more than I thought it was, but in a different way than the Metadate and Concerta. Ultimately, it's not addressing most of the problem so I'm thinking an addition would do the trick. I don't think having one alongside the Strattera should be a problem with my pdoc, but you never know.

Posted

I take Adderall and get it filled by Caremark. A 90 day supply. I usually overlap by a couple of weeks. I've been doing this for years for me and my kids. They've never given me the least bit of trouble.

Posted

You have to call your mail order company and find out for sure because they're all different...some will allow an overlap, others won't. I think MOST of them will allow at least a week to account for shipping and you can send them a post-dated Rx. I work at a retail pharmacy and we can only allow a 3-day overlap with most insurances.

Posted

You have to call your mail order company and find out for sure because they're all different...some will allow an overlap, others won't. I think MOST of them will allow at least a week to account for shipping and you can send them a post-dated Rx. I work at a retail pharmacy and we can only allow a 3-day overlap with most insurances.

Thats good to know.

nf

Posted

I have a script, says may fill 25th early refill authorized due to dose increase. Its the 20th.

Adderall xr25mg #60.

I'm out, I'm not stupid, so spare the smartass remarks.

U think there's any hope on filling.whatever technique used.

Posted (edited)

I have a script, says may fill 25th early refill authorized due to dose increase. Its the 20th.

Adderall xr25mg #60.

Go to the drugstore and see. It sounds like it's saying the 25th is an early fill itself. If that's true, it won't go through (right now). I don't see what other "technique" could be used.. mailing it off would take longer.

Welcome to CB.

Edit: Clarity

Edited by Cetkat

Posted

Ya, u hit the nail on the head. O thought a possible "leaving town" excuse might work, but not sure if its possible at all, because of it being a CII.

Posted

Adderall xr25mg #60.

May refill this script on the 25th, despite that date being an early refill. This is due to a dosage increase.

Thats my take on this.

Posted

With 90 day scripts I can refill after 2 months on my present insurance. I do this with Ativan and Lunesta. Schedule 2 meds may be different.

nf

Posted

Have you called and talked to your internet pharmacy? seems like the logical place to start. Anna

Posted

With 90 day scripts I can refill after 2 months on my present insurance. I do this with Ativan and Lunesta. Schedule 2 meds may be different.

nf

Schedule II's are different because the "grace period" is shorter. I just checked my "mail order" benefit through our insurance (just chose my own Metadate CD) and the limit is 90/76 days so they are allowing a refill 2 weeks before I would "theoretically" run out. With my Topamax, it says 90/60 days.

Adderall xr25mg #60.

If I'm understanding correctly, it's dated the 25th? If so, that's the date you can fill it on. If not, you can fill it anytime after the date on the script since it's a dosage increase. Any time there's a dosage change, you should be able to fill on/after the date on the script.

Posted

I'm new to the CII sked stuff. If I understand this you need a physical written script for each month (Humm 90 days are ok?) I learned this when I started running low and phoned in a refill (Even tho it was no refills) figuring my Pharmacy would call the doctor, the doctor would ok it and I could pick it up in a few days. Humm... Nope, and the problem now is that I'm down to the last couple of tabs and argh... This is not working well to run out. Anyway, the law seems to be different in each state so its totally confusing to me. I gather the CII stuff is desired by "dope fiends" and out of control drug addicted medical folks so they try to levy mega tight control over this. How this works for people who need this for longer terms then a month I dunno...

Samples would be excellent! I totally hear you with that. I'd definitely mail-order too. Just got to fix the gap somehow, you know. And, actually, most meds you can bring in a new script at anytime with a dose increase & they'll put it though. Of course that's with normal class meds. May not work with this class schedule. But, yeah.. a different dose or med in general should work without being flagged. The question is whether or not the pdoc is comfortable with doing that... but with a 5-7 day script, it doesn't seem like there would be a liability issue.

BTW, do you have insurance for the Vyvanase? Or is the mail order the base price?

Posted

How this works for people who need this for longer terms then a month I dunno...

My doctor writes multiple one-month scripts in these situations, each one forward dated for a few months to cover until I'll see him again.