Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

loss of appetite on Zoloft

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I used to overeat before starting Zoloft about a month ago. Since starting it, my appetite has gradually decreased and I have lost 10 lbs so far.

I feel like I have to force myself to eat anything, when before the Zoloft, I have to force myself to stop eating too much.

My question being, is this a common side effect of the drug? And is it a cause for concern?

Posted

Lack of appetite is a pretty common side effect of Zoloft, yes. In and of itself, reduced appetite is not a cause for concern, but you do need to keep eating enough even if you don't feel like it. Some side effects tend to go away when you're on the med a little bit longer, but if you keep losing weight or eating far less than is healthy or normal for you, you should definitely discuss it with your pdoc and maybe switch to a different medication.

Posted

I lost my appetite on zoloft, too. Now i'm on wellbutrtion, and it also causes a loss of appetite for me. i've lost 10 pounds in about a month from not eating, just like you. we just have to force ourselves to eat, and remind us that we need to have those nutrients in our body, we need them. We have to eat to stay alive and be healthy.

Posted

The lack of appetite should subside after around 4-6 weeks. Talk to your p-doc about this if it doesnt pass. There are other medications you can try so dont feel that the situation is hopeless.

Posted

I had really terrible loss of appetite on zoloft, and that, coupled with gastic issues, caused a lot of initial weight loss. mr. a had the same thing. for both off us, it took about 3 months to slowly retrain the appetite. i found more frequent small meals helped a lot.

Anna