Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Not wanting to be touched

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I used to be able to hug people (mom, dad, husband, friends) without a problem. Now, I feel "icky" for lack of a better word. Is this a symptom of something or just a character quirk?

Posted · Report post

It could be a symptom of something, or not - it depends on the reason for onset, if you can identify one. When did you start realising that you didn't like to be touched? Why is touch an issue for you now, and not in the past?

Posted · Report post

Good question. I'm not sure. I've just been dx'd with being bipolar because I started having different symptoms a few months ago. I guess it started when the new symptoms started. I've mostly had depression over the past few months but have also been very agitated.

Posted · Report post

I am one who cannot stand being touched, and I believe it to be a personality trait more than anything. I have always had this issue to some extent, but I would say it is definitely getting worse with time. Now I cannot even stand to be in any kind of close proximity to anyone, even people I consider to be friends.

But then we are all different, and different people may have the same feeling for different reasons.

Posted · Report post

I can't stand being touched, except by my husband, and one or two friends that I will hug. I wish I could, because I could really benefit from massages. I had one once, and it was definitely icky. The masseuse kept saying through the whole thing, "RELAX, RELAX!" Which was soooo helpful.:rolleyes:

And at bedtime, I can't have any part of me touching even my husband, or I can't fall asleep. But now that I think of it, I don't mind my dog snuggling under the covers next to me. In fact, I find it soothing. Hmmmm.

I have always thought it was because my parents handled me violently, but that is based on nothing but my opinion. I don't even think I have brought it up with a pdoc. It could just be anxiety, I guess.

Posted · Report post

@Dusk: I wonder if the agitation that you're feeling has anything to do with it?

I have had issues with being touched for a while. It felt intrusive and almost threatening for me to have someone stand close enough to touch me, let alone make physical contact. I still do, to an extent, but being exposed to more people over time has helped.

Posted · Report post

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Yes, I think the agitation might have something to do with it. That's something I hadn't thought about.

I can't STAND it when my husband's leg or arm brushes against me when I'm trying to go to sleep.

Posted · Report post

I used to be really huggy and touchy but since I had my psychotic break I can't stand to be touched at all.

Posted · Report post

I've always avoided being touched; I very much dislike it. But when agitated, it can go from the usuak "ack, icky. getitoffgetitoffgetitoff"" to "holy shit don't touch me I'm going to freak the fuck out on you if you don't get out of my spaaaaace!!! [hyperventilates]"

I think I've hugged my best friend 2x in 17 years.

Posted · Report post

I absolutely do not like to be touched. People can't wrap their brains around the fact that I do not like and will not have massages. They think it is because I'm shy or something. No, it's because I really do not like to be touched. And as someone has mentioned, I cannot fall asleep touching someone else. I need my space.