Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How can you get 2 benzodiazapine scripts?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

My pdoc has told me that he cannot write more than 1 benzodiazapine script or he would get in trouble with the state. But, I see other users sigs and I notice sometimes there are more than one, one user I saw earlier today had 3 benzos in their sig.

I'm content with just getting the 1 script per month as I do fine with that, but I'm curious, how are some of you able to get 2 or more benzo scripts without getting your doctor in trouble?

Posted

I live in a different state.

Posted

Well I have a script for xanax and a script for Temazepam which are both Schedule 4 Controlled Subtances. I would be suprised if that was an official rule Andy. I think it more likely that is your doctor's guideline for himself, self imposed to be cautious about his prescribing. But perhaps different state vary in their rules. If anyone has knowledge of that I would be curious.

Posted

Well I have a script for xanax and a script for Temazepam which are both Schedule 4 Controlled Subtances. I would be suprised if that was an official rule Andy. I think it more likely that is your doctor's guideline for himself, self imposed to be cautious about his prescribing. But perhaps different state vary in their rules. If anyone has knowledge of that I would be curious.

This sounds more correct. My doctor will only write me one script per drug per month so she doesn't get in trouble. Once when I lost a script she wrote me a new one but said if I filled both it would be flagged and investigated.

I'm not entirely sure how it works here really, Other than its controlled at arm length.

Posted

The way my pdoc explained it to me is that sometimes MDs who do a lot of heavy prescribing of controlled substances get flagged and investigated for one reason or another and have to justify ever rx they write. The result is that MDs who are not in practices where it's expected that they will write a lot of rx's for controlled substances (pain management etc) try to not call attention to themselves so as to avoid a big hassle.

Posted

My pdoc has written multiple benzos for me a couple of times, so I could figure out which worked best. She's in NY, and it's just never been an issue.

Posted

I also haven't ever had issues w/ the two at once situation. There's a reason for the two different choices, which he could use if the pharmacy or doctor had an issue...but it hasn't caused any problems yet. I'd lean toward a self-control measure more than a state regulation thing...but definitely could be wrong on that one. It seems like it's not a federal thing, or else multiple doctors on this thread would be in trouble!

Posted

I've had two scripts for klonopin and ativan at the same time as well, I never filled them at the same time. But i had them in there. You just have to sign something I believe if it is a controlled substance.

Posted

I'm in NH, and my pdoc gives me a 'script for clonazepam and one for lorazepam. They do different things for me, so he leaves it up to me to figure out when I need each. I have two current prescriptions, though I'm not sure if I have ever gone in to pick up both bottles at the same time. I've never had to sign anything about their being controlled substances (nor do I have to when picking up my son's Vyvanse or Adderall).

Posted

I take klonopin and temazepam atm. No one has ever made an issue out of it. Not sure why your doc is refusing, you could ask him, perhaps?

Anna

Posted

Andy, you were just saying that you absolutely had to quit your job, maybe never work, maybe never move out of the house, maybe never be independent, etc because of your out of control anxiety. Instead of taking a few days sick leave, you outright quit your job because of your anxiety. Now you are saying it is not a problem and your are just asking your pdoc about two benzo scripts out of pure curiosity. Try being a little more honest here, k.

Posted

He told me this because I wanted to switch from Xanax to Xanax XR, but he told me that he couldn't give me a script for Xanax XR and if the insurance didn't cover it, I couldn't go back the next day to get a new script for the regular Xanax. He mentioned he could get in trouble if they (whoever they is) found out that he wrote 2 prescriptions of this category in too small a window.

Posted

True enough, insurance might be a problem. But him getting in trouble? Highly doubtful.

Posted

I have a few different prescriptions for benzos and have not had any sort of issue. I live in WA but have no idea about any laws regarding multiple meds in the same category.

Posted

It depends on the doctor I reckon.

I have enough trouble getting the one script out of either my gp or p-doc. This is in Australia however. From my experience with several different p-docs and gps, they will only give valium (diazepam). Forget about xanax, avian or klonopin. But that is just here.

Posted

My understanding is that prescription laws are federal, even though MDs are licensed by state. That was the impression I got from my dad growing up, at any rate.

Andy, you do seem a little obsessed with benzos.

Posted

I'm in Michigan. I have a script for Xanax XR for travel anxiety and a separate script for Xanax that is part of my daily regimen

Posted

I'm in Michigan. I have a script for Xanax XR for travel anxiety and a separate script for Xanax that is part of my daily regimen

A question - Do you take the Xanax everyday type of thing or just when your dealing with Anxiety. I'm new at this and I've been using the Valium as little as possible.

Posted (edited)

A question - Do you take the Xanax everyday type of thing or just when your dealing with Anxiety. I'm new at this and I've been using the Valium as little as possible.

I take valium as needed. It works wonderfully. I take the smallest amount (5 mg?), it's a tiny yellow pill with a cutout heart. so cute.

some days I need to take them more than once, other times I can go a week without one. I find that what is most important is WHY I am taking the pill. If I take it because I am depressed it is a very bad idea. I get tired and more depressed. If I take it because my kid is about to create a huge ruckus, it works wonders. When I have performance anxiety the valium is great. It really really helps my stress, parenting anxiety, manic times, nervousness. If an anxiety attack is about to trigger my depression, then the valium can nip that in the bud.

Edited by water