Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Case Management" - What is it? Different from Therapy?

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My Pdoc recently used the term 'case management' as something that may be in my future. I don't know what this is or how it differs from therapy. Examples anyone?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found the wikipedia article more helpful than my post.

Edited by llama44

Posted · Report post

Here's the wikipedia page that helps explain it:

Wikipedia article still leaves me with lots of questions.

Posted · Report post

Good case management SHOULD be focusing more on concrete needs, and helping you accomplish concrete goals. Case managers tend to do things like help you fill out housing applications, disability applications, more concrete, needed tasks that you may need help with. They may often provide transportation, or serve as liasions between various agencies/people/whatnot you are dealing with. They might help you find and get vocational training and money, or a job that supports disability or uses disabled persons if you become on disability at some point (if you are not) etc. They tend to cover a lot of tasks.

They may often assist with med assist applications, and letting you know the sorts of programs and services you might qualify for, etc.

Depending on where you are, and what state you live in, you may get very good or very bad case management. It's best to stay in close contact with a case manager, and be assertive with your needs, etc.

Anna

Posted · Report post

I think - and others can correct me - that case management involves more of the everyday, practical side to your life. Such as helping you arrange appointments, advocacy when needed, taking you to appointments if you lack transport, making sure you've taken your medication and have enough meds, helping with your general functioning, etc.

Therapy deals more with discussing your symptoms and issues and how to deal with them - like formulating coping strategies, reframing your thinking, etc.

Posted · Report post

Huh... so, how does that work exactly? It would be awesome to have actual transportation to a pdoc - if I can get one..

Posted · Report post

I found the wikipedia article more helpful than my post.

So funny - yeah, same here.

Posted · Report post

hmmm maybe a case manager would be a nice way to help manage my life

it sounds very appealing to day......

Posted · Report post

I have a case manager. He meets with me about once a year to make sure that I'm "utilizing all available resources"--i.e. doing vocational rehab, meeting with my social worker, have a therapist, going to pdoc appointments. We also make plans for things like when I get housing and will be able to move out.

When I was worse, he met with me more often.

Posted · Report post

I had a case manager. She would come out once a week and ask me a bunch of questions and helped me fill out Section 8 housing forms and reported back to the psychiatrist from the psych hospital once a week. She would help with arranging transportation if I couldn't go on the bus/trolley and she helped with filling out forms for getting medication approved. I no longer have a case manager because she was on Kaiser and I'm receiving Medi-Cal now.