CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
lipstickjunkie

Anxiety and caffeine and alcohol

Well , until february 2011 i could drink 6 redbulls in 1 hour then go to sleep . For some reasons i think im sensitive to caffeine too , now . Even a coffee made from 500 ml of water and a little spoon of coffee makes me anxious and agitated . It might be a minerals imbalance that makes your body more sensitive . I am also on Klonopin , and even with it , i still feel the caffeine .

I think I actually need to give up caffeine because of the effects on my anxiety. I just don't want to because I love my morning coffee. Alcohol always makes me anxious and depressed the day after drinking.

Edited by malachite27

Coffee does ramp up my anxiety. My face starts twitching. I won't give it up though.

Alcohol relaxes me the night I'm drinking it, but the next day I might feel more anxious and/or depressed.

I'm ok with caffeine, but have been on combos that I couldn't tolerate it.

I'd probably be better off without alcohol as I think it has an overall negative effect.

Caffeine makes me jitterly as hell.

I do drink, not as much as I used to, but I'm a cheap drunk, heh. (I haven't gotten drunk since September, anyways. I enjoy the occasional cocktail)

I can have a cup or two of coffee or tea throughout the day and be fine, but anything more than that and it sends my anxiety levels skyrocketing to the point that it's almost unbearable. I'm sensitive to alcohol anyway, but more so now because of my meds. Alcohol actually takes away some of the anxiety, but hangovers make it worse, so it's a thin line.

if i'm not mixed or hypo i'm okay with coffee on this cocktail. alcohol, not a chance. i get very sick very quickly, and i also cry after one drink as well as throw up.

Can have a cup or two of tea w caffeine, no problem. More than that and I start to get a little nervous. Worse, it seems to make my sugar spike, and then drop. I'm a bit hypoglycemic, and I hate the low feeling I get when my sugar is low. BUT it sometimes works wonders on my migraines. Two espressos will really do the trick about 1/3 of the time. For me, it's worth the nervous-groggy sensation to have a good chance of getting rid of a migraine.

I can have a glass of wine a day with no problem. Two drinks and I need to wait a day to feel back to 'normal.' I end up a little foggy and achy. I do occasionally go out drinking with friends, which means more like three drinks. I start out relaxed, but then get jumpy, and then end up feeling down. Takes two or three days to get back to 'normal.' Again, part of this is a sugar issue, since alcohol converts pretty much straight to sugar. Alcohol w food is much easier for me to deal with than a drink on an empty stomach.

I guess I'm saying that for me, as long as I'm moderate w alcohol/caffeine, I don't have anxiety issues.

Yes def caffiene it makes me loopy at the end of the day. Alcohol makes me feel like crap and I hate coming down.

I find the way I 'react' to caffeine is weird. Sometimes I can drink something with caffeine in it and it will calm me down. Another time it may not affect me one way or the other. And other times, it may make my anxiety worse.

(maybe because of the Clozaril), I find that caffeine doesn't really interfere with my sleep at night.

I try not to have more than one caffeinated beverage a day because I know I have an anxiety problem / disorder.

I find limited caffeine okay, but not all year round. Alcohol is generally not a good idea with any medication, being that it is a depressant. I used to justify self-medicating with alcohol by reading the side-effects of meds....then saying "f*@k it" I won't take my meds and drink. Not too smart. Over 20 years of playing with meds/no meds/booze, I don't need it to chill.

Here is a link on decreasing the amount of caffeine in green tea, which has benefits:

http://www.wikihow.com/Minimize-Green-Tea-Caffeine

Hope this helps.

I used to drink five or so cups to get through full time school. It doesn't mix well with my anxiety meds though. I am cutting back. Slowly, down to two or three now. I get twitchy and jittery. I was asked once if I was on drugs by this a**hole clerk at a supermarket. I still am angry about that!

Caffeine doesn't affect me much unless I am particularly anxious, in which case I will tend to drink herbal teas or cold drinks depending on how I feel. I find a cup of coffee in the morning does help to wake me from Seroquel sedation.

I can't remember alcohol having an effect on my anxiety, but it did affect all my other symptoms so was really a bad idea for me. But the time I was drinking, I didn't have bad anxiety.

I quit smoking 65 days ago and almost immediately upped my coffee intake from 1 pot to 2. I am also drinking God only knows how much tea. I am sleeping OK, but my depression seems to be growing worse day by day.

Edited by Thomas

It seems pretty logical caffeine being a stimulant would increase anxiety, of course nothings clear cut. Every psychologist or psychiatrist ALWAYS says to limit/eliminate your caffeine intake. Although I'm a hypocrite cause I def need a couple cans of Coke Zero at times to wake my ass up!

Alcohol always makes me very depressed the day after :o The only reason i drink is at a weekend because of my social anxiety, i cant be around my friends or family. its really hard because i was very sociable at one point. But i am going to be getting help from my therapist and nurse. So hopefully things will be looking up for me and I can be free of social anxiety. :D

I have always had a love/hate relationship with caffeine. Now that I am on anti-anxiety meds, caffeine doesn't bother me so much. But before... it would induce panic attacks and general anxiety so bad.

You say you have a love for coffee (oh man, me too)... Have you tried switching to decaf? idk if that would be enough of a caffine reduction to aleviate the anxiety - but I'd think it'd be worth a shot... nothing to lose, if it doesn't do the trick, you can just give it up as planned, and if it does do the trick, you can continue to drink coffee - yay! :)

Alcohol on the other hand - moderation is key I guess... which I have often found difficult, and I think a lot of people with socially geared anxiety find difficult. Just my opinion of course - it's just that the very effects of alcohol are so good at aleviating those symptoms at the time! In my case though, I pay for it 10 fold the next day. There's not enough xanex on the planet to quell the anxiety I feel the morning after. And it completely exacerbates my depression. It's a terrible feeling. I either have to avoid it all together, or really psych myself up before hand with a plan with solid limits & rules (ie, 3 beer limit with water required between each one...)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By cwell
      I'm almost 30 and I'm severely depressed. I take medication, but that's not always enough. I began hurting myself in June of this year. I don't have many scars, but the ones I have are noticeable. This summer was one of the most stressful of my life. I'm embarrassed, being as old as I am, that I couldn't control my emotions. I don't think particularly highly of myself. I still live with my mom because I'm a walking shit-show. 
      I told my mom I self harm. I cut, scratch and burn myself. I've had two therapists and both know that I do these things to myself. My current therapist thought it would be good to tell my mom...or eventually tell her. I also think about suicide a lot (at least once a day). Mom knows this and so does my therapist.
      I felt good about myself today, so I told Mom. I felt brave and I it seemed like a good idea at the time. I was disappointed with her reaction. She said it was a cliche thing to do...that she didn't think I was so mainstream. She said she thought my brand of "crazy" was more unique. To be honest, I don't think she believes I have a mental illness. She thinks I'm just a creative type. I am...but I'm also unwell. I don't like to whine and I don't want to have to explain myself. She's depressed too, so I don't know how she doesn't understand. She wants there to be a reason behind my moods. Sometimes there isn't. Sometimes I'm just overwhelmed. 
      I've stopped hurting myself. It's been three weeks since my last incident. I feel pretty in control of my urges, which is why I confessed. I knew Mom would think I was stupid for self-harming. She's known other people who did it so I've already heard what she really thinks about people who do it...that it's a way to get attention, it's a sign of weakness, it's unoriginal, it's stupid...
      Mom said she was disappointed in me, then she said she was scared because she'd missed the signals. She didn't miss them...I'm just very good at hiding things. She kind of made the conversation about her. I found myself apologizing to her and telling her it wasn't her fault. She said our relationship was based on trust and now she isn't sure she should give me my privacy. She made it sound like I took advantage of her trust. She said this was a betrayal. She thinks this means I'm much closer to suicide. I'm not...I just needed to feel something and I needed an emotional release. 
      She said she'd respected my privacy and refrained from "delving" into my psyche. Then she said if she had delved, she'd have found this out sooner. I think she regrets trusting me. She has a tendency to leave me alone when I need help and invade when I need to be alone. Most of the time I just want someone to sit quietly with me. That helps more than anything. I've got a therapist...now I need a friend. 
      Mom said my scars would never go away and asked if I'd considered what it would be like to explain these things to a significant other.
      I don't date. I haven't had a romantic relationship in almost a decade. I haven't found anyone I like. I'm picky and high maintenance. I fully admit that. I also don't give a damn what people think about my scars. I know what I did to my body. I don't need to be shamed for it. I'm proud I could handle the pain. The scars remind me that I hit some very low points and survived. They remind me I'm real.
      Mom said we shouldn't tell my brother. He'd panic. I don't want to tell my brother either. I'm used to hiding the worst of my problems from him. Mom is usually in favor of telling him everything. I think she doesn't want him to worry and she doesn't want him to blame her. She kind of made the situation about her and how she'd failed. I don't mean to sound selfish, but it wasn't the conversation I hoped to have. I tried to explain that I needed a little more support.
      I spoke quietly. I was embarrassed. She told me to stop talking so softly. She didn't want me to act or pretend. I admit I'm mellow dramatic, but I wasn't being dramatic this time. I just felt small. I don't know how to explain it. I'm depersonalized so it was easy to "zone out" after that.  
      In the end she said she was proud of me for telling her. She took back a few of the harsher comments. She went to bed early and said she needed to think. She shut down a bit. I asked if we were ok, if our relationship was ok and she said yes. I have no idea if she meant that.
      I regret telling her. I promised I'd be honest from here on out, but that's just another lie. I'm done hurting myself. If I hadn't told her, she'd never know and I'd never have to hear the things she said. I love her very much and I don't mean to be ungrateful, but she's not as supportive as she thinks she is. She puts up with a lot from me and I'm tired of making her feel bad. I've got to stop telling her things. I keep thinking I should be honest, but it always backfires and I end up feeling worse. I can't keep my mouth shut. I always think it's better for our relationship to be honest, but it isn't. 
      My scars were mine. Now they're not. I hate that so much. I'm so embarrassed. I need a support system and I hate that I need anything.
      I wish I had someone in my life I could be honest with. I can't tell my brother these things without breaking his heart. I can't tell my mom without her blaming herself. Telling my therapist is nice, but it's not quite enough. It's not terribly personal. I feel so alone and so stupid and somehow still feel completely blank and empty. I shouldn't have told her. I should have kept my big mouth shut. It was a secret and it was mine. I gave it away for nothing. I don't even know what I wanted or expected. I'm an idiot. 
      I'm ultimately happier alone. I don't know why I long for someone to understand. I'm not terribly gregarious and I don't like talking to other people. I certainly don't want to burden anyone with my problems. Logically, I know I should be able to handle this on my own without someone holding my hand like I'm a child. I'm not helpless. I'm not needy. I don't know what's wrong with me.
      Sorry for rambling. Thanks for reading. 
    • By Xyzieleigh
      I have been self harming since I was 11.
      I'm 21 with a job in healthcare and I still can't stop myself from cutting. Its become a custome. That's my go to when I'm stressed, upset, lonely, sometimes even if I'm bored. I just like to have cuts or burns or scratches on me at all times. Its like a secret that I don't have to share its amusing to me in a way. I feel almost naked if I don't have at least a few cuts on me at any given time. I've tried to stop and for a while I did, but I just keep turning back. 
         I want to move forward with my life but its like I'm stuck In a hole that I can't climb out of. I see everyone around me moving on with their lives and I'm stuck here hurting myself with no control over anything. My anxiety is to bad to seek help. I just feel like I would be better off dead because dying just seems so easier, more realistic and more inviting than trying to live a normal life.
    • By Idekanymore
      I need help.im 15 and my birthday is in January.I have a medical Condition that effects my skin and it just cleared up and is getting so much better so I decided to go to a party with my aunt, my 3 cousins and Mum. My mum leaves early so I stay with my aunt and cousin. I had a great time it was my first party in like 2 years I felt like a normal teenager again. So that night everything was fine until the next morning. I decided that maybe I should stay there for one more night because we were still having fun and chilling but my mum didn’t like that. My mum is on medication for her emotions , you can never tell what she is going to do her emotions can switch in a second. Okay back to the story. So I try some of my cousins cream for my face because I don’t have mine and my mum said she wouldn’t bring it to me. My face went all red but I knew how to handle it but we still phoned my mum to ask her to bring up my cream that is medicated. So she brought it up to my aunts and just started shouting at me and wouldn’t stop going on and on at me. I almost felt like crying. As she was about to leave I told her I would phone her later but she told me not to bother and walked out.So when she went home my family was shocked at how angry she was. I let my frustrations out to my family and told them things about my Mum. (Just to let you know I am very depressed and go to a therapist but my Mum doesn’t like me to talk about her to my therapist so I don’t because she’s scary). Me and my cousin were watching a movie after being on our phones for a while so I sat my phone on charge and put it on silent so it wouldn’t disrupt us. The movie is a bout half way through and my mum phones my eldest cousins phone. She gets really mad and asks why I didn’t answer and I told her why but she sounded furious. After the phone call I check my phone and I only had two missed calls surely my mum can’t get mad at that and it’s not like I’m out somewhere dangerous I’m just with my cousins. I didn’t phone her back that night because she told me earlier when she visited not to phone her. Then I got a text saying what time she would pick me up at in the morning. Me and my cousins went to sleep but I kept my phone next to me so I would hear the alarm as I am a very heavy sleeper. So I got up the next day when my alarm went of and put my phone on charge while I got changed in a different room. After I got changed my aunt handed me the phone oh was my mum asking why I didn’t answer my phone so once again I tried to explain but she just got mad and hung up. I found this weird because my mum always moans that I never go out and I’m always in the house so I didn’t understand her paranoia of me being at my aunts. My mum shouted at me as soon as I got on the car. Once we got to the house she started screaming calling me a disappointment and many other hurtful things. I went to my room to get changed and cried a lot bit my mum made me sit in the living room with her. I was still a mess at this point. I couldn’t stop crying. She kept telling me to shut up and stop crying getting really angry. She stared saying things like you’ve embarrassed me and are a disappointment. It was very hurtful. I done nothing bad enough to get this treatment. I kept on saying I was sorry and I won’t do it again. She got angry and told me I’m not staying over at anyone’s again. She was acting like I was a criminal. She was saying things like if I want to act grown up then I can do everything for my self from not on and how she’s giving up on me. This really got to me I’m at the hospital a lot and I am also at therapy for depression and other things. She also kept on mentioning on how she’s my mother other things like that. I’ve tried to apologise loads but not once has she ever took my apologies into consideration. She honestly scares me so much. She always gets mad really easily and I’m always on edge. She has never physically abused me but mentally im almost dead. I’m now still crying and I am having really bad thoughts about how to let the pain out and that’s different to me because I’ve never thought this deeply about something like that before, I’ve never acctually wanted to do damage like this to myself before. I feel so ashamed. I really hate myself right now.What should I do? 
    • By Cyclingsarah
      About to go off abilify. Went from 2.5 mg - 1.25 mg 5 days ago.
      since yesterday anxiety, agitation and akathisia has gone through the roof. My intire body tingles, burns etc. And it feels like i’m about to explode. Just can’t relax.
      I was only on the drug for 4 weeks.
      Any ideas how long this is going to last?? And has anyone experienced this as well?

damn you drugs.. Amiright 
    • By hannahthered
      Hi, I'm Hannah.  I've had generalized anxiety and OCD all my life and developed major depressive disorder around 11 years old, but I was not properly diagnosed until I was 13.  They've put me on lots of meds since then, most of which either didn't work or had shitty side effects.  Around the time I was 14-15, I even had some psychotic features during my worst depressive episodes, and some of my medications were only making things worse.  Now, at 16, things are at an all time low, and I came here to talk to some people who are in similar situations.  My current medications are Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) and Risperdal, with a Deplin supplement.  Long story short, school sucks ass and it's making things worse.
      That's pretty much all from me.  Hello, CB!