Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anxiety and caffeine and alcohol

22 posts in this topic

Posted

Is anyone else sensitive to caffeine and alcohol? Both make we wired pretty easily.

Posted

Yes, because of my meds.

Posted

Me too, with or without meds. I avoid both for the most part.

Posted

Well , until february 2011 i could drink 6 redbulls in 1 hour then go to sleep . For some reasons i think im sensitive to caffeine too , now . Even a coffee made from 500 ml of water and a little spoon of coffee makes me anxious and agitated . It might be a minerals imbalance that makes your body more sensitive . I am also on Klonopin , and even with it , i still feel the caffeine .

Posted (edited)

I think I actually need to give up caffeine because of the effects on my anxiety. I just don't want to because I love my morning coffee. Alcohol always makes me anxious and depressed the day after drinking.

Edited by malachite27

Posted

Coffee does ramp up my anxiety. My face starts twitching. I won't give it up though.

Alcohol relaxes me the night I'm drinking it, but the next day I might feel more anxious and/or depressed.

Posted

I'm ok with caffeine, but have been on combos that I couldn't tolerate it.

I'd probably be better off without alcohol as I think it has an overall negative effect.

Posted

Caffeine makes me jitterly as hell.

I do drink, not as much as I used to, but I'm a cheap drunk, heh. (I haven't gotten drunk since September, anyways. I enjoy the occasional cocktail)

Posted

I can have a cup or two of coffee or tea throughout the day and be fine, but anything more than that and it sends my anxiety levels skyrocketing to the point that it's almost unbearable. I'm sensitive to alcohol anyway, but more so now because of my meds. Alcohol actually takes away some of the anxiety, but hangovers make it worse, so it's a thin line.

Posted

if i'm not mixed or hypo i'm okay with coffee on this cocktail. alcohol, not a chance. i get very sick very quickly, and i also cry after one drink as well as throw up.

Posted

Can have a cup or two of tea w caffeine, no problem. More than that and I start to get a little nervous. Worse, it seems to make my sugar spike, and then drop. I'm a bit hypoglycemic, and I hate the low feeling I get when my sugar is low. BUT it sometimes works wonders on my migraines. Two espressos will really do the trick about 1/3 of the time. For me, it's worth the nervous-groggy sensation to have a good chance of getting rid of a migraine.

I can have a glass of wine a day with no problem. Two drinks and I need to wait a day to feel back to 'normal.' I end up a little foggy and achy. I do occasionally go out drinking with friends, which means more like three drinks. I start out relaxed, but then get jumpy, and then end up feeling down. Takes two or three days to get back to 'normal.' Again, part of this is a sugar issue, since alcohol converts pretty much straight to sugar. Alcohol w food is much easier for me to deal with than a drink on an empty stomach.

I guess I'm saying that for me, as long as I'm moderate w alcohol/caffeine, I don't have anxiety issues.

Posted

Yes def caffiene it makes me loopy at the end of the day. Alcohol makes me feel like crap and I hate coming down.

Posted

I find the way I 'react' to caffeine is weird. Sometimes I can drink something with caffeine in it and it will calm me down. Another time it may not affect me one way or the other. And other times, it may make my anxiety worse.

(maybe because of the Clozaril), I find that caffeine doesn't really interfere with my sleep at night.

I try not to have more than one caffeinated beverage a day because I know I have an anxiety problem / disorder.

Posted

Even the caffeine in tea gives me rage.

Posted

I find limited caffeine okay, but not all year round. Alcohol is generally not a good idea with any medication, being that it is a depressant. I used to justify self-medicating with alcohol by reading the side-effects of meds....then saying "f*@k it" I won't take my meds and drink. Not too smart. Over 20 years of playing with meds/no meds/booze, I don't need it to chill.

Here is a link on decreasing the amount of caffeine in green tea, which has benefits:

http://www.wikihow.com/Minimize-Green-Tea-Caffeine

Hope this helps.

Posted

I used to drink five or so cups to get through full time school. It doesn't mix well with my anxiety meds though. I am cutting back. Slowly, down to two or three now. I get twitchy and jittery. I was asked once if I was on drugs by this a**hole clerk at a supermarket. I still am angry about that!

Posted

Caffeine doesn't affect me much unless I am particularly anxious, in which case I will tend to drink herbal teas or cold drinks depending on how I feel. I find a cup of coffee in the morning does help to wake me from Seroquel sedation.

I can't remember alcohol having an effect on my anxiety, but it did affect all my other symptoms so was really a bad idea for me. But the time I was drinking, I didn't have bad anxiety.

Posted (edited)

I quit smoking 65 days ago and almost immediately upped my coffee intake from 1 pot to 2. I am also drinking God only knows how much tea. I am sleeping OK, but my depression seems to be growing worse day by day.

Edited by Thomas

Posted

It seems pretty logical caffeine being a stimulant would increase anxiety, of course nothings clear cut. Every psychologist or psychiatrist ALWAYS says to limit/eliminate your caffeine intake. Although I'm a hypocrite cause I def need a couple cans of Coke Zero at times to wake my ass up!

Posted

Alcohol always makes me very depressed the day after :o The only reason i drink is at a weekend because of my social anxiety, i cant be around my friends or family. its really hard because i was very sociable at one point. But i am going to be getting help from my therapist and nurse. So hopefully things will be looking up for me and I can be free of social anxiety. :D

Posted

I have always had a love/hate relationship with caffeine. Now that I am on anti-anxiety meds, caffeine doesn't bother me so much. But before... it would induce panic attacks and general anxiety so bad.

Posted

You say you have a love for coffee (oh man, me too)... Have you tried switching to decaf? idk if that would be enough of a caffine reduction to aleviate the anxiety - but I'd think it'd be worth a shot... nothing to lose, if it doesn't do the trick, you can just give it up as planned, and if it does do the trick, you can continue to drink coffee - yay! :)

Alcohol on the other hand - moderation is key I guess... which I have often found difficult, and I think a lot of people with socially geared anxiety find difficult. Just my opinion of course - it's just that the very effects of alcohol are so good at aleviating those symptoms at the time! In my case though, I pay for it 10 fold the next day. There's not enough xanex on the planet to quell the anxiety I feel the morning after. And it completely exacerbates my depression. It's a terrible feeling. I either have to avoid it all together, or really psych myself up before hand with a plan with solid limits & rules (ie, 3 beer limit with water required between each one...)