breezy

trazodone hangover

20 posts in this topic

I took a 50mg last night, woke up at 4am and stayed awake til 7am, then fell asleep until 10 and I wouldn't have gotten up but my cat needed feeding and I had to take my morning meds. I'm still so very tired, have been all day. I also feel really crappy as far as the depression goes, so I don't know how much of it is that, but last night was my first time taking the trazodone and I was wondering what other people's experiences were? I'm using it for the sedation effect since I've been having another really bad bout of insomnia.

Hmmm... I was taking 100 mg until recently. I don't remember having any side effects. I'd say try a little longer.

I get headaches about 50% of the time I've used trazodone. Which is not TOO uncommon. LIke was said, I would give it time, but also consider- if it's not going away, it may just not be the med for you, unfourtunately.

I don't know about this for sure, so others chime in to correct me, maybe it will take a few days to adjust to starting Trazadone.

Ok, I thought I wrote this but apparently not. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Ok, I thought I wrote this but apparently not. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Oh, good idea! I didn't even think of that and I should be drinking more with the other meds I'm on, too. Maybe that will help me out.

Edit: drinking WATER ;)

Edited by darthbreezy

I take 100mg of Trazadone at bedtime and and I usually sleep 8/9 hours a night. Sleep is a high priority for me. I drink a large amount of water during the day. I am always thirsty though. I am not sure if it is my meds that causes my thirst or just 'me'. Actually, I never really thought about it - I just always have water with me.

When I tried Trazadone for sleep in the 90s, it wouldn't work at night, I would sleep from maybe like 5-11, and at about 2, I could barely prevent myself from lying right down where I was. Then I'd pass out insensate for about 3 hours. Once, I had to ask a friend to nap at his house as a favor, because it was a couple of blocks from where we were, and I was afraid to drive home. I am the only person I have heard who had this reaction, but I haven't talked to that many people who tried Trazadone. I also got very confused betwen things I dreamt, and what I had done in real life, but other meds besides Trazadone have done that as well.

It took me a while to get used to it. I do know if I take it too late, I will have difficulty waking up in the morning. Because I'm a night owl anyway, I don't get as much sleep at night as I need due to my own behavior. I also take it with Geodon at night, which is sedating for me. Again, taking it too late at night is a problem with that.

Wow I feel like a real.... I dont know what.... I was up to 400mg of trazodone and was just recently kicked down to 200mg... I'm on some other heavy stuff too.... Im starting to think my dr may be over medicating me a bit

i take 100mg when needed for sleep and it works great. if i'm really manic i still have trouble sleeping and if i take it too close to when i need to wake up (usually past 2am) i'm tired the next day, but to me that's to be expected.

when i left the hospital this past june, they discharged me with a script for 150mg for some reason. my new pdoc had me try it out (esp b/c i was getting agitated/manicy) and omg, hangover. i literally felt like i drank a handle of vodka. i was nauseous, dizzy, couldn't open my eyes, and my head was killing me. ugh. needless to say i'm not taking that dose again.

Strangely enough, I was on about 250-300 mg of Trazadone when I was on Lexapro - now that I'm back on Prozac, 50 mg of Trazodone along with .5 mg of Xanax does the trick for a good 6-7 hours. Good enough for me.

I take 100mg a night. If I don't take it, I can't sleep at all. I used to not take it if I forgot about it until really late, not wanting to be too tired to get up in the morning, but it was actually worse to not take it.

It is a little difficult for me to get up in the morning - I push it until the last possible minute - but then I've never been a morning person anyway. Once I get going, and had my caffeine that I've always had to have in the morning, I'm OK. It did take a while to get to this point, though.

I took 100-200mg for years...dentist suggested I start taking it for grinding teeth, well before I got on all these other meds...but just last year went off it because of "hang-over" effect...I think this became worse the more meds I took and the older I got. (56 now)

I would have to take it at 5pm if I was going to get up at 5am, and would still feel like crap. Pdoc didn't seem to agree w/my decision, but too bad.

Breezy, you've described my experience with Trazodone exactly. Even if I take it early in the evening, I will sleep until 4, then fall back asleep until 10. Only reason I can do this is because I own my own business and I never make appointments before noon. I'm looking for other alternatives, including exercising hard late in the day to make me tired and help with sleep.

One warning: Never take Ambien in your life. Truly. The drug prevents the brain from laying down new memories, so you'll have blackouts, essentially. And you'll never be able to recall what happened. This happens during the day, not while you're sleeping. Very powerful drug. 

Best,

St. Chloe

23 minutes ago, St. Chloe said:

Breezy, you've described my experience with Trazodone exactly. Even if I take it early in the evening, I will sleep until 4, then fall back asleep until 10. Only reason I can do this is because I own my own business and I never make appointments before noon. I'm looking for other alternatives, including exercising hard late in the day to make me tired and help with sleep.

One warning: Never take Ambien in your life. Truly. The drug prevents the brain from laying down new memories, so you'll have blackouts, essentially. And you'll never be able to recall what happened. This happens during the day, not while you're sleeping. Very powerful drug. 

Best,

St. Chloe

How long have you been on it? Have you tried a lower dose?

When I first started taking trazodone, I felt the hangover, but that went away once I got used to it.

I took Ambien for about 3 years from 2008-2011. I've been using Trazodone since 2011. In the beginning, it wasn't effective at all. It took a very long time for it to even phase me. It would make my eyelids feel heavy, but did not help with falling asleep. I'd say on and off for at least a year, it had little to no effect. I was on 100mg at that time.

I bumped up the dose to 200mg in about 2014 and have been using 100 to 200 mg per night since then. I'm trying to quit all of them. I've had very profound insomnia for 18 years, but I think it's drawing to a close. Trazodone also effects your memory. You'll think it's age creeping up on you, but really, it's the Traz. Best to stay off them all, if you can. Look up research on the use of these and other drugs on the elderly. If you're very sensitive to the meds, like I am, it can have the same effect on a 40 year old as an 85 year old. It's not yet known if the effects are permanent. Thus, my drive to get off them all. 

Peace //

When I first started Trazodone, I had the bad hangover affect the next morning, too.

This is just my personal experience, but now that I've been on it awhile, that side effect has pretty much gone away, although I do like my coffee in the morning to make me feel more awake.

I take 200mg every night.

I had to stop taking Trazodone after a few months on it. At first it worked pretty well but the last few weeks have been dreaded. The next day zombie feeling and hangover with headache made my work shift almost impossible to complete. Id rather take something like a few melatonin's, a Valerian root pill and a kirkland sleep aid. I may only get a few hours of sleep on those but atleast I can function the next day. Trazodone - didnt work for me 

Crap. My doc just gave me Trazadone for sleep -- I slept well last night without it, but that was after 72 hours without sleep. I wanna "test drive it" before tonight/tomorrow morning because I have a job interview. Dammit, I wish I'd gotten it sooner so I could have tried it out before attempting it the night before an interview. The interview is at 1:30pm thankfully but I'll be sure to take this early.

BTW, do you guys find you get good "quality" sleep on it? I know that I "sleep" but it doesn't feel like I did sometimes.