Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TakeAChillPill

Can You Lose Weight On Abilify?

10 posts in this topic

Hi. I am a compulsive over-eater who finally settled into a healthier way of eating. I take 20mg Abilify and 20mg Prozac. My diet involves calorie restriction without counting. I also use portion moderation. I'm going back to Weight Watchers soon. I am also starting to walk 2 miles everyday but not consistently. I'm taking Abilify because I've had elements of Schizoaffective in the past and even though the doctor isn't sure if I have it or not I still take it as a precautionary measure. My question is: Can I lose weight on Abilify? My starting weight was 297lbs and I'm 5'5. I've been on my diet for three weeks and I don't think I've been consistent enough- it shows! I haven't lost a pound since my initial 7 lb loss the first week! I'm down to 290lbs though and thats still quite a relief.

Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss and Abilify?

I had been on Zyprexa and gained lots of weight. I then switched to Abilify and managed to lose the weight I had gained on Zyprexa. Everyone is different. A lot of people find Abilify weight neutral, however there are also many people who gain weight on it. In my case I gained weight on Zyprexa, Risperdal and Seroquel but not on Abilify where I lost weight.

It is possible. Metformin is something you could try, as is a low-carb diet.

Also, portion control without counting calories can fail because you may be getting in extra calories other ways than just how much of each thing you're eating. If you've eaten badly for a long time, WW or something where you keep diligent track of what you eat is going to work better.

I've lost 40lbs on Abilify, but it's been hard.

I did it with low-cab, low calorie eating.

Right now, I'm maintaining, with in a 5 lb range, eating almost "normal". But I'm still overweight by 15-20 lbs.

Low carb may just be the way I have to live, since I like how Abilify cleared my head.

I'm not on Abilify, I'm on Seroquel, but I've lost 123 pounds in the last 6 months. I admit it's not through the healthiest means (which is why I'm perusing this bit of the board) but it is possible, and if you're shooting for a more steady weight loss, it should be do-able.

If you struggle with increased appetite, you might find Slimming World easier than Weight Watchers - it's a great diet but gives you unlimited amounts of some foods, so you don't have to go hungry. If you feel you have a portion control problem which you want to address, WW is more the way to go. Either are great lifestyles, I've seen more patients get more results with those two than any other way, and yes, I'm including bariatric surgery in that.

If you're overeating as a response to stressors, you may need to work through in therapy alternate ways to deal with those feelings, otherwise they'll come out in something else.

Everything is posible i lost 35 lbs after that diet. Now still have 10 lbs over weight and next start of the month i will go to the gym and make that 10lbs to disapier :)

I'm on abilify too, but it has given me no weight loss. I stay between 325 and 335 with little variation.

I wish I could lose weight on Abilify- sadly, I have gained 10+ lbs since starting it a month ago. I keep gaining.

For me, Abilify has been pretty much weight neutral. I have been on it two years. Everyone reacts to meds differently though. I have been gaining weight lately but I'm not sure what to attribute that too. I don't think it's the Abilify after all this time.

I'm gaining weight. I've been on Abilify in the past, and I didn't gain. But now I'm ravenous! I can't seem to lose the weight! I hate this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Started noticing (just when I go running outside, not everyday) My vision gets incredibly blurry, to where I cannot make out anything beyond like 2 feet in front of me. This is even in nice weather (not cold, windy or wet) and it worries me. Never had this before.
      Is this a side effect mainly from Lamictal or Abilify (or both)? I'm a bit concerned I will say - because i read that both meds can contribute to this and Lamictal (in particular) somehow binds to & accumulates in melanin tissues of the eye (researchers at this time don't know the effects of this binding). I thought I read that someone here was losing eyesite from it. yikes.
      My questions are (if anyone knows): if Lamictal binds to Melanin in nervous system tissue, is it:
      a) long term or permanant?
      b) good, bad, or mixed?
      c) what diseases or nervous functions would it affect?
    • By Laptopdancer
      I'd like to start by saying that I'm tapering off of Seroquel XR. I have a diagnosis of bipolar I, anxiety and panic disorders, and BPD.  I'm down to 37.5 mg  of Seroquel IR 2 times a day and originally I was on 600 mg ER for stability and 800 mg when manic.    Just FYI: I was accidentally sent a 3 month supply of iR so since I'm tapering off, I switched to using it rather than paying for more XR.     My taper was 1 week at 300 mg and 2 mg Abilify and then a week at 150 mg Seroquel and 5 mg of Abilify. That where I am now until this  Wednesday when I'm supposed to keep the Seroquel as-is and up the Abilify to 10 mg.   I'm not sleeping well at all even with Using either Ambien or Trazadone. My doc gave me both to try and get at least some sleep. Today I finally had a meltdown. Ive been trying too just keep my shut together with the bare minimum of leaving the house. I get up around 3 am and can't go back to sleep. I don't take more sleep medicines--should I? I'm so lonely until the dog gets up and I color.    I fell apart largely because my husband puts too much pressure on me to do what he wants to do rather than leaving me alone. He doesn't realize how shitty I feel and how when he tries to push me too far it makes things so much worse. I don't like resting all day. I miss my normal activity level. However, if I don't put my foot down and tell my husband that I'm not going, he has no problem with me running  myself ragged.   I just don't understand why he can't just let me deal with how shitty I feel by just caring for our daughter (he's known this medicine change wasmcoming for a very long time) and not trying to include or guilt trip me into going out. In the past I've gotten really depressed and somewhat manic in situations like this. I wish I could just lock myself in a room until this is over! I'm so irritable and have days that are so long that I think about everything that's happened and feel like I can address all of them right now.    I cried for a good hour or so and told him how badly I've been feeling. I thought it was obvious, apparently it isn't. I'm just trying to hold it together and not end up in the hospital like my pdoc has warned if things get too bad to manage at home.    I think I just needed to vent more than anything. Ugh. 
    • By Blahblah
      Started Abilify 5mg 3 weeks ago. It's already helping my depression a bit, but I've developed this insatiable hunger! Like, several times in the last week, I wake up at 2am-3am from my stomach painfully growling, feeling starved (usually sleep through the entire night).
      I don't stock candy, cookies, chips or anything bad in my house. However, I eat healthy stuff like apples, veggies, granola, yogurts, plenty of proteins, nuts, rice cakes to my gills and I am still hungry and my stomach is growling again an hour later! I try to have small snacks & big glasses of water every 2 hours but that isn't helping either.
      Anyone else here experience this? Is it a start-up effect that will go away soon? If not, I must go off....I can't be scarfing food every 2 hours like it's the end of the world. At this rate, I'll gain 40 pounds in the next 3 weeks.  
    • By TakeAChillPill
      I'm making the transition to all generic because on my insurance the brand is exorbitantly priced.  My Dr. submitted a form requesting they cover brand but to no avail.
      I have already switched my Wellbutrin 150mg XL to the generic several days ago and so far I haven't turned into newt.  LOL
      Soon I will be switching to generic Prozac and Abilify. 
      My biggest concern is that generic Abilify will have some funky side effects I cannot deal with.  I'm only on 7mg.  Does anyone have any experience with the generic form of Abilify?  Any other advice is welcome.  
    • By Blahblah
      First off, I know that drinking alcohol & taking psych medications is not good or recommended (like "flushing meds down the toilet"). Some meds have very strong warnings against. I'd like now to limit to 1 only which is tough. Anyone have suggestion on how to enforce myself to do this - like a string on my finger or something?)
      I had 2 1/2 glasses of nice wine with dinner (Valentine's Day date). I just started taking Abilify 2 weeks ago & I've been on Lamictal for 6 months. I do not drink frequently or excessively (up to 2-3 watery beers or glasses of white wine per week).  I always drink plenty of water, but my tolerance has immediately been cut in half!! I don't think I can drink more than 1 glass at all now, without a hangover: severe dizziness, headache, dehydration for hours the next day.
      Is this more of a common side effect from Abilify or Lamictal? I know Lamictal makes me more dehydrated. I have been on all the SSRIs/SNRI's in the past, and those did not have ill effects with alcohol. I know I should not drink alcohol at all, but I am human and would like to have a drink socially with friends or my partner sometimes.