CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
TakeAChillPill

Can You Lose Weight On Abilify?

Hi. I am a compulsive over-eater who finally settled into a healthier way of eating. I take 20mg Abilify and 20mg Prozac. My diet involves calorie restriction without counting. I also use portion moderation. I'm going back to Weight Watchers soon. I am also starting to walk 2 miles everyday but not consistently. I'm taking Abilify because I've had elements of Schizoaffective in the past and even though the doctor isn't sure if I have it or not I still take it as a precautionary measure. My question is: Can I lose weight on Abilify? My starting weight was 297lbs and I'm 5'5. I've been on my diet for three weeks and I don't think I've been consistent enough- it shows! I haven't lost a pound since my initial 7 lb loss the first week! I'm down to 290lbs though and thats still quite a relief.

Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss and Abilify?

I had been on Zyprexa and gained lots of weight. I then switched to Abilify and managed to lose the weight I had gained on Zyprexa. Everyone is different. A lot of people find Abilify weight neutral, however there are also many people who gain weight on it. In my case I gained weight on Zyprexa, Risperdal and Seroquel but not on Abilify where I lost weight.

It is possible. Metformin is something you could try, as is a low-carb diet.

Also, portion control without counting calories can fail because you may be getting in extra calories other ways than just how much of each thing you're eating. If you've eaten badly for a long time, WW or something where you keep diligent track of what you eat is going to work better.

I've lost 40lbs on Abilify, but it's been hard.

I did it with low-cab, low calorie eating.

Right now, I'm maintaining, with in a 5 lb range, eating almost "normal". But I'm still overweight by 15-20 lbs.

Low carb may just be the way I have to live, since I like how Abilify cleared my head.

I'm not on Abilify, I'm on Seroquel, but I've lost 123 pounds in the last 6 months. I admit it's not through the healthiest means (which is why I'm perusing this bit of the board) but it is possible, and if you're shooting for a more steady weight loss, it should be do-able.

If you struggle with increased appetite, you might find Slimming World easier than Weight Watchers - it's a great diet but gives you unlimited amounts of some foods, so you don't have to go hungry. If you feel you have a portion control problem which you want to address, WW is more the way to go. Either are great lifestyles, I've seen more patients get more results with those two than any other way, and yes, I'm including bariatric surgery in that.

If you're overeating as a response to stressors, you may need to work through in therapy alternate ways to deal with those feelings, otherwise they'll come out in something else.

Everything is posible i lost 35 lbs after that diet. Now still have 10 lbs over weight and next start of the month i will go to the gym and make that 10lbs to disapier :)

I'm on abilify too, but it has given me no weight loss. I stay between 325 and 335 with little variation.

I wish I could lose weight on Abilify- sadly, I have gained 10+ lbs since starting it a month ago. I keep gaining.

For me, Abilify has been pretty much weight neutral. I have been on it two years. Everyone reacts to meds differently though. I have been gaining weight lately but I'm not sure what to attribute that too. I don't think it's the Abilify after all this time.

I'm gaining weight. I've been on Abilify in the past, and I didn't gain. But now I'm ravenous! I can't seem to lose the weight! I hate this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By PingWire
      I've taken Abilify for almost 10 years. I was originally put on it for anxiety, which was rather unwise. I havn't felt good from doing exercise since being on it. However, It did seem to help with OCD. My OCD used to center around cleanliness, now I don't care much. Now my OCD involves intrusive, repetitive thoughts.
      I am on 10mg Abilify 300mg Luvox, 50 mg Lamictal, 500mg Depakote, and 50mg hydroxyzine as needed.
      5 months ago my Abilify does was increased from 5mg to 10mg. Everything was great for a month or 2, not anymore.
      I've been told that the intrusive, repetitive thoughts are part of OCD and not schizophrenia. However, I'm wondering if I have schizophrenia anyway since the thoughts are related to my daily activities.
      Has anyone heard of intrusive thoughts being linked to schizophrenia? If so, would a different antipsychotic be more effective?
      To complicate things, I am a slow metabolizer. Geodon knocked me out for 18 hours! A prior doctor put me on perphenazine after that because he found an article showing the same problem in someone else, and success with perphenazine.  I found an article that stated that perphenazine is metabolized by three enzymes while Geodon is metabolized by one. Unfortunately I don't have those articles now. The downside to perphenazine is that it made me depressed at high doses. I tried risperdal, but It made me anxious. I'm willing to try anything again as long as I'm not asleep for 18 hours.
      Any ideas?

• By themechanist
      Hi guys, 
      ive been on inVega sustenna for three months and my side effects are terrible on this drug. Blanking out, bad memory, lack of creativity, bad focus, slow mind and worse of all, anhedonia. Both sexual and emotional alike. It’s been three months and these things still have not lifted. I know it’s not my illness because my schizophrenia gives me heightened emotions and gets me high, and these side effects all started for the first time since I took the drug. 
      Maintena is coming out in my country this December and I was thinking of asking my pdoc to switch to it. I heard that abilify can cause blurred vision and if you’re unlucky td, I’m scared of this. I’ve taken abilify tablet form before for around a week to a month or so at five milligrams, and didn’t get blurred vision or td, would anything change with the injection form? And also what is your experience on this drugs injection form? 

Regards.
    • By headrift
      Not sure where else to put this one, but I took my Abilify from 15mg to 2x15mg per day a week ago. I just got back from my appointment with my pdoc (finally) and was half surprised that she didn't chew me out. That's the first *positive* med change I've made for myself in... ever?
      I left the rest of my cocktail alone, but maybe I should note that my Wellbutrin dose is only at 300mg instead of 450mg... that one's either the last pdoc's fault or Medicare's fault. Everything else stayed the same. New pdoc is trying to work that out also.
      I'm going to stick with it for a while this time. I might miss one dose a day, but missing both is less likely, and maxing out my Abilify dosage right now seems to be helping. Since making the change a week ago, I've finally left my since-February mania and sidestepped a growing delusion / paranoia break. So I think after paying attention to the various pdocs over the last decade, I might have done something right. *gasp*
    • By ladyboss
      My fiance has been losing weight recently. He's down 20 lbs and is like 228 lbs now. I've gained weight, but it was also that time of the month. I kinda go after chubby dudes as is, and always worry if they weigh less than me I become unnattractive. His affection towards me hasn't really gone down, it's stayed the same really. I tell him my concerns of me gaining while he's losing, and he says he'll love me no matter what. And that he also doesn't want me skinnier, he just wants me to be happy. But, at the same time he thinks my best friend is too big, [she's considered a SSBBW i'm a BBW if anyone knows what those mean...] but he said the difference too is that if I got as big as her he loves me, not her. I just worry his eyes may start to wander to other girls who aren't as big, although he does prefer curvier women, and I do actually have curves, i'm just a bit chunky. I've got a big bust, wide hips, and a big lower half, plus an hourglass figure, but a bit of a tummy.... And lately I've been more anxious as well about losing him to the point of nightmares, although it seems that they're symbolizing to not worry and to trust him [I die in them, and regret leaving things "left unsaid" with him basically.] Also a gentle reminder, this is my first longest relationship [been almost 2 years now coming this fall, been engaged for a full year now, too as of june.], first engagement, and hopeful marriage in the next few years. He's been married twice. I'm hoping to get us in for a premarital counseling appt cause we've not been in awhile this coming week, also. 

I feel like I've just put him on this pedastal of perfect cause let's face it he IS WAY better than anyone else I've been with putting up with my anxiety attacks, insecurities, etc etc etc, and it's like I'm waiting for something bad to happen and I hate that I'm like that. And he tells me to stop thinking he's perfect too, cause he ain't but he is to me...
    • By RisingRayne
      I wish I had never been placed on it adjunctively for depression/anxiety. I was first embarrassed because it is classified as an antipsychotic. I was on the lowest dose for a few months. I gain about 15 pounds. I haven't been able to return to my pre-abilify weight. So frustrating.