Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can You Lose Weight On Abilify?

11 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi. I am a compulsive over-eater who finally settled into a healthier way of eating. I take 20mg Abilify and 20mg Prozac. My diet involves calorie restriction without counting. I also use portion moderation. I'm going back to Weight Watchers soon. I am also starting to walk 2 miles everyday but not consistently. I'm taking Abilify because I've had elements of Schizoaffective in the past and even though the doctor isn't sure if I have it or not I still take it as a precautionary measure. My question is: Can I lose weight on Abilify? My starting weight was 297lbs and I'm 5'5. I've been on my diet for three weeks and I don't think I've been consistent enough- it shows! I haven't lost a pound since my initial 7 lb loss the first week! I'm down to 290lbs though and thats still quite a relief.

Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss and Abilify?

Posted · Report post

Losing weight on Abilify was almost impossible for me. I tried for a long time. Then, I started Metformin. The combination worked for me. It was still slow going but my metabolism is screwed up from years of dieting so slow isn't surprising.

The walking is great. Keep it up.

Posted · Report post

I had been on Zyprexa and gained lots of weight. I then switched to Abilify and managed to lose the weight I had gained on Zyprexa. Everyone is different. A lot of people find Abilify weight neutral, however there are also many people who gain weight on it. In my case I gained weight on Zyprexa, Risperdal and Seroquel but not on Abilify where I lost weight.

Posted · Report post

It is possible. Metformin is something you could try, as is a low-carb diet.

Also, portion control without counting calories can fail because you may be getting in extra calories other ways than just how much of each thing you're eating. If you've eaten badly for a long time, WW or something where you keep diligent track of what you eat is going to work better.

Posted · Report post

I've lost 40lbs on Abilify, but it's been hard.

I did it with low-cab, low calorie eating.

Right now, I'm maintaining, with in a 5 lb range, eating almost "normal". But I'm still overweight by 15-20 lbs.

Low carb may just be the way I have to live, since I like how Abilify cleared my head.

Posted · Report post

I'm not on Abilify, I'm on Seroquel, but I've lost 123 pounds in the last 6 months. I admit it's not through the healthiest means (which is why I'm perusing this bit of the board) but it is possible, and if you're shooting for a more steady weight loss, it should be do-able.

If you struggle with increased appetite, you might find Slimming World easier than Weight Watchers - it's a great diet but gives you unlimited amounts of some foods, so you don't have to go hungry. If you feel you have a portion control problem which you want to address, WW is more the way to go. Either are great lifestyles, I've seen more patients get more results with those two than any other way, and yes, I'm including bariatric surgery in that.

If you're overeating as a response to stressors, you may need to work through in therapy alternate ways to deal with those feelings, otherwise they'll come out in something else.

Posted · Report post

Everything is posible i lost 35 lbs after that diet. Now still have 10 lbs over weight and next start of the month i will go to the gym and make that 10lbs to disapier :)

Posted · Report post

I'm on abilify too, but it has given me no weight loss. I stay between 325 and 335 with little variation.

Posted · Report post

I wish I could lose weight on Abilify- sadly, I have gained 10+ lbs since starting it a month ago. I keep gaining.

Posted · Report post

For me, Abilify has been pretty much weight neutral. I have been on it two years. Everyone reacts to meds differently though. I have been gaining weight lately but I'm not sure what to attribute that too. I don't think it's the Abilify after all this time.

Posted · Report post

I'm gaining weight. I've been on Abilify in the past, and I didn't gain. But now I'm ravenous! I can't seem to lose the weight! I hate this.