Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TakeAChillPill

Can You Lose Weight On Abilify?

10 posts in this topic

Hi. I am a compulsive over-eater who finally settled into a healthier way of eating. I take 20mg Abilify and 20mg Prozac. My diet involves calorie restriction without counting. I also use portion moderation. I'm going back to Weight Watchers soon. I am also starting to walk 2 miles everyday but not consistently. I'm taking Abilify because I've had elements of Schizoaffective in the past and even though the doctor isn't sure if I have it or not I still take it as a precautionary measure. My question is: Can I lose weight on Abilify? My starting weight was 297lbs and I'm 5'5. I've been on my diet for three weeks and I don't think I've been consistent enough- it shows! I haven't lost a pound since my initial 7 lb loss the first week! I'm down to 290lbs though and thats still quite a relief.

Does anyone here have any experience with weight loss and Abilify?

I had been on Zyprexa and gained lots of weight. I then switched to Abilify and managed to lose the weight I had gained on Zyprexa. Everyone is different. A lot of people find Abilify weight neutral, however there are also many people who gain weight on it. In my case I gained weight on Zyprexa, Risperdal and Seroquel but not on Abilify where I lost weight.

It is possible. Metformin is something you could try, as is a low-carb diet.

Also, portion control without counting calories can fail because you may be getting in extra calories other ways than just how much of each thing you're eating. If you've eaten badly for a long time, WW or something where you keep diligent track of what you eat is going to work better.

I've lost 40lbs on Abilify, but it's been hard.

I did it with low-cab, low calorie eating.

Right now, I'm maintaining, with in a 5 lb range, eating almost "normal". But I'm still overweight by 15-20 lbs.

Low carb may just be the way I have to live, since I like how Abilify cleared my head.

I'm not on Abilify, I'm on Seroquel, but I've lost 123 pounds in the last 6 months. I admit it's not through the healthiest means (which is why I'm perusing this bit of the board) but it is possible, and if you're shooting for a more steady weight loss, it should be do-able.

If you struggle with increased appetite, you might find Slimming World easier than Weight Watchers - it's a great diet but gives you unlimited amounts of some foods, so you don't have to go hungry. If you feel you have a portion control problem which you want to address, WW is more the way to go. Either are great lifestyles, I've seen more patients get more results with those two than any other way, and yes, I'm including bariatric surgery in that.

If you're overeating as a response to stressors, you may need to work through in therapy alternate ways to deal with those feelings, otherwise they'll come out in something else.

Everything is posible i lost 35 lbs after that diet. Now still have 10 lbs over weight and next start of the month i will go to the gym and make that 10lbs to disapier :)

I'm on abilify too, but it has given me no weight loss. I stay between 325 and 335 with little variation.

I wish I could lose weight on Abilify- sadly, I have gained 10+ lbs since starting it a month ago. I keep gaining.

For me, Abilify has been pretty much weight neutral. I have been on it two years. Everyone reacts to meds differently though. I have been gaining weight lately but I'm not sure what to attribute that too. I don't think it's the Abilify after all this time.

I'm gaining weight. I've been on Abilify in the past, and I didn't gain. But now I'm ravenous! I can't seem to lose the weight! I hate this.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Abilify (aripiprazole) causing Depression & Suicidal Ideation?
      By RedMeeko
      Hello,
      I have diagnosed residual psychotic disorder - substance induced subtype, generalised anxiety disorder and social phobia. I'm 24 years old, female.
      I'm taking currently 100mg of Sertraline (Zoloft), 75mg x 3 Pregabilin (Lyrica), and 10mg of Ability a day. I was on Seroquel (Quetiapine) before, but due to side-effects I switched to Abilify. I've been on Abilify for roughly about 5 weeks now, having increased from 5mg to 10mg after 2 weeks in.
      Within a week of increasing my dose to 10mg, I've become really depressed. The pain is just unbearable throughout the day, until the evening when it becomes cope-able. Until the next morning where the cycle restarts all over again. I'm finding it really tough. I've tried many things, the general advice given for depression, but nothing really improves it significantly enough to give me any kind of relief whatsoever.
      Its been like this for roughly about 3 weeks now. Has anyone else had this experience with Abilify, and was it something that went away with time (and how long did you have to stomach it out for?), or was it there to stay? And how old were you when you started?
      Any input whatsoever would be extremely helpful.

Many thanks,
      RedMeeko

• I made my own weight loss app
      By mookieman
      Hi--
      I got so frustrated with trying to lose weight while on Risperdal that I decided to try to make my own diet app:
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rfo.speakcc&hl=en
      So far I have been losing about 0.25lbs a week for the past 250 days (with some ups and downs:

It still has some glitches but I really like it because it uses voice entry mostly which I think is the easiest way to track calories.
      There is also a $0.99 version that has keyboard entry
      I have a friend who is working on making an iOS version.

• Abilify creating synthetics?/ How could i be sz/sza
      By xanathos
      After i missed an injection and iffy with oral things the strings that bother me the most is the fact i never knew it was making me unreal! 
      Did anyone else notice this? I want to do it back to them. (The nurse, not my pdoc). I have the appointment on the 22nd.
      White noise nobodies running rampant but aripriprazole converts my physical being to be one of them.
      Also I read in a book that BPD and SZ/SZA generally do not coexist but then why was i called that by my pdoc?
      Would it not make more sense to just have another PD? I'm unsure.
      Eitherway it's eating at me worse than the thing in my brain is.
    • Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Abilify
      By Gabbio82
      Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and from what I've read it's been a total support system. I wanted to pick the brains of some of you other members. I have recently found out that I suffer from depression. I was dx, with anxiety 5 years ago and have been on zoloft off and on since then. Well I was just put on Welbutrin 150mg 5 days ago and abilify 2mg yesterday. I must say I feel better but I want to get the opinion of others that have taken this combination. I'm not 100% but getting better.  What time of day do you take your medication? How do you like it? Any input bad or good is welcomed 
    • I think I'm doing worse. (Lamictal)
      By hugbug
      I posted here a little but I felt like I was taking away from the original poster's questions/concerns so I thought I would start a new post with new concerns. 
      My dr prescribed me 200mg of Lamictal on Oct 27th. I started at 100mg/day (1/2 of a 100mg pill, twice a day) for a week and moved to 200mg (100mg/twice a day, usually in the morning and before bed). Apparently this is a high dose to start with, but my doctor never said anything about that. Honestly, when I went to see her I told her my concerns about not having insurance, but I was also really concerned about continuing to go un-medicated. So I signed up for a healthy saver plan that the grocery store pharmacy offers which makes certain meds $4/month. Then we looked at the list of drugs I could take and Lamictal was on there so that's what she picked. It may be that that was the only dose that was covered. I don't know; we didn't discuss that. I know other people started off on lower doses. There is nothing I can do about the dose I started with; I'm sorry that it was so high but i didn't have a say in that. I know very little about medication and dosing. 
      Anyway, I'm really concerned because I think I'm doing a lot worse than I was un-medicated. Part of the problem, I know, is that I lost a job that I loved, and coworkers that I got along with. Maybe that seems petty. But my new job is not bad or anything. I just don't love it, and I have difficulty connecting with the people I work with. It could be that it's still new (about a month into it). 
      But I had started losing weight in April (not on meds) and I was exercising regularly, feeling motivated, eating better and taking care of myself. This continued all the way through to October. 
      Now I've stopped exercising, I binge eat when I get home from work, I sleep more (12 hours today), I cry a lot, I send depressing text messages to my friends, I feel like killing myself. Like honestly, there is so much stuff that I -need- to do (for example, call to schedule an appointment to get my tires put on) that I just can't bring myself to do. 
      I can't fix the life changes. I guess I should change the meds, but I looked at what's available on the discount plan and they are all meds I've tried and that haven't worked. I've read about treatment resistant depression (a little) but I don't know how many medications one has to try before they know it's "treatment resistant." I know that it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works. But how much is too much? 
      I'm going to call my doctor for an appointment but I don't want to wait a month to see her for ten minutes. She may be able to get me in with the office psychiatrist but last time that took about two months I think. He is hard to see because he's not there all the time and there is only one of him. Last time he gave me a list of therapists to call but w/o insurance the charge is $75-$100 and I can't afford that weekly. 
      TL;DR: I guess my starting dose was too high. Either way I don't think the meds are working and I feel like giving up.