CrazyBoards.org

azul

Are there any antipsychotics that don't cause weight gain?

I'm seeing my p-doc this afternoon, and I need to get off some of my drugs. I know what I need for my anxiety, but I want to know... are there any antipsychotics that DON'T cause weight gain?

There might be a topic like this but I'm so tired I cannot be bothered to search anymore than I have been. e _e

Weight gain is one of those side effects that is very individual and different between people. There are some that are known to be particularly bad offenders for it (Seroquel and Zyprexa) and some that have a reputation for being better (Abilify comes to mind) but really you just have to keep trying them until you find one that is more weight neutral for you.

I totally agree. I haven't gained weight on anything I've tried, and I've been on a whole lot of things (Seroquel and Abilify, but not Zyprexa) over the years. I just tell my doc that I don't want to gain weight and that if I do, I'm going to need to come off the drug. So far, my body hasn't responded in that way yet. But let your doc know that it's an issue for you. It helps.

YMMV. I've had little to no weight gain on the Seroquel, even before I went on the wellbutrin. But Seroquel and Zyprexa generally seem to be worse in terms of weight gain.

I've gained just a little bit of weight (3-5 pounds- maybe slightly more) on Stelazine (trifluoperazine). It's a typical AP, and works like gangbusters. My SEs have been minimal, though I don't know of any AP that doesn't have some. But man, my brain is quiet, and it's fabulous.

I gained a massive amount of weight on Zyprexa. I gained a lot of weight on Seroquel too. I also gained weight on Risperdal, but it is hard to know if the Risperdal was totally responsible as I was also on Zispin/Remeron at that time and it also causes weight gain. The only AAP I did not gain weight on was Abilify but it was also the least effective for me too, so you have to weigh up the pros and cons of each medication.

I was on one of the older Anti-psychotics (haloperidol) for a few months and did not gain weight on that.

As far as AAPs go, I have heard that Geodon (ziprasidone) is weight neutral. But as the previous posters said everyone is different in how they respond to medications. In my case if the medication even has a low chance of weight gain I will nearly always gain weight.....I just have to look at the medications and I pile on the pounds ...LOL

Unfortunately every antipsychotic I've tried or heard of has a weight gain side effect. As if you aren't fighting with your weight along comes these lovely drugs. If you weren't crazy before, you'll be crazy on these.

Unfortunately it is very individual, and you will just have to try meds until you find the right one for you.

I haven't gained on Seroquel (apart from winter weight that I gain every year and then lose in early spring), but that is supposed to be one of the worst.

If weight neutral is important to you then you might be best leaving the meds that weight gain is more common with until the end, but don't rule anything out because you never know how a med will affect you until you try it.

I can tell you that I do not get that OMG-have to eat and eat NOW-feeling on Geodon. However, I haven't been on it long enough to see any weight gain or loss yet. My P. Doc put me on it and took me off of Saphris and before that Seroquel due to a FIFTY FIVE pound-yeah, yea-me! weight gain. so, here's to hoping. She says she thinks I will not gain any more and should be able to start losing in a few months.

Good luck!!!!

If you're worried... DON'T go on zyprexa (or do so with caution)! I was on seroquel and it slowed my metabolism (I think) but I didn't gain any weight-- just had a hard time losing it. I am on Abilify right now and am losing weight.

Edited by saoirse

I gained weight on Geodon, but not on Seroquel. YMMV. You won't know 'til you try.

Unfortunately I would bet that all the antipsyc meds on the market right now will cause some sort of weight gain. Virtually anything that turns down dopamine will make you more hungry.

I take vyvanse on the weekdays, and zyprexa everyday. On the weekends I am definitely more tired and feel like I can never be full. First 2 weeks I was on zyprexa I gained about 7 pounds. I seem to have leveled out now and am holding a steady weight of 180. (im 6 foot 3, so its not like I am worried about becoming overweight).

Maybe talk to your pdoc about adding a low dose of stims to your regiment to improce side effects?

I know of a girl who has been on 10mg Zyprexa for the last 10 years and suprise surprise she hasn't put on a single kilo... how weird is that !

It is VERY individual with weight gain as with ANY side effect

Edited by terrydrives1979

Like others have said, everybody's body is different. I gained five pounds rapidly on Abilify, while others lose weight. I wasn't on it long enough to tell you about how the weight issue ended up in the long-term. I did gain some on Geodon, but not much. I always felt hungry, though. And I gained a ton of weight on Seroquel... then again, I also ate in my sleep when I was on Seroquel...

The thing is... everybody is different. People also told me that Seroquel and Abilify would be more helpful for my depression than Geodon. I got worse on those, and got better on Geodon. You just have to see what works for you and what side effects you have... because you never know.

Of course, this is coming from the girl who never lost weight on any of her ADHD meds or Topamax... :) Damn, I was really wishing for that side effect, too!!!

Latuda is supposed to be weight neutral. I am thinking of switching to it from Risperdol for that reason.

As others have said, it's very specific to the indivdual. Abilify at 15 mg makes me hungry, and to be honest, I have gained a lot of weight on it. But the AD Remeron (mirtazapine) also makes me hungry so it is difficult to tell which med is actually causing me to gain the most weight. Some of the older AP's may not cause as much weight changes, but they carry their own risks.

To show how individual with respect to weight gain AAP's are, I actually lost weight while taking risperidone (Risperdal).

I never had a weight problem before the APs. I was on zyprexa for many years until it suddenly stopped working and I had to go to Seroquel (and a boat load of ECT) I've been doing Weight Watchers for a year now and I am so happy that with their program and aerobic swimming I have been able to lose 31 lbs. Amazing. But I have to stay vigilant until I can be sure that the Seroquel won't put the weight back on. I didn't know that the purpose of those drugs is to dampen dopamine. There's always so much more to learn. I've been dealing with BP1 for about 40 years now (no spring chicken) so it's good to learn as much as possible about these drugs.

Question for the group. I am new here and can't figure out how to add the DX and RX to my listing. How do I go about it?

I gained 40 pounds on Zyprexa, it works amazingly well and slows down racing thoughts and you are much more calmer but the weight gain is a bitch indeed.

I can't wait to go off it, I have to taper but I need to desperately lose 30 pounds of fat

I didn't gain any weight on Geodon, Abilify, Seroquel, Clozaril, or Risperdone. I did gain 20 lbs on Zyprexa, and I'm currently taking Navane (a typical AP) and I can't take the weight off.

Question for the group. I am new here and can't figure out how to add the DX and RX to my listing. How do I go about it?

Log in, click on your username in the top right hand corner of the screen --> click on my profile --> click on edit my profile --> click on signature on the left hand side of the screen.

I am on Geodon and haven't seen any weight changes. In fact I'm losing weight! But I think I'm losing weight because I'm eating a healthier diet. The trick with Zyprexa and the rest of the lot is, when you get those munchies (I had them with trazodone), if you MUST have a healthy snack. No cookies or sugar even though you want it. I know with my geodon I have to eat with it, but I just try and eat or drink something better for me.

I gained a lot of weight, but I think it was ice cream rather than the meds. Now I'm off the ice cream and have lost 15 pounds.

Edited by Thomas

Latuda has been weight neutral for me, but I've only been on it for a few months. As with all psych meds, you won't know until you try it. There's really no harm in giving one a go. If you gain weight or can't tolerate the side effects, then cross it off the list and try another. I hope you find one that works well for you :)

Started Latuda a couple of weeks ago and the constant need to have something to eat is pretty much gone.I just came off Depakote and Invega. I had been on them for about 4 years or so and gained 40lbs My addiction to Starbucks Lattes is surprisingly gone too. Just don't have the cravings for rich, creamy and yummy sweet foods anymore. It's looking like this might be a good one for me in terms of the weight. The jury is still out on managing my mood. Coming off Invega is proving to be harder than I thought.