CrazyBoards.org

azul

Are there any antipsychotics that don't cause weight gain?

No.

Am I reading your post right? Are you saying that no AAP's are weight neutral? I would have to say that I disagree and I would be willing to say that others would agree with me.

I have found - geodon, abilify, latuda, risperdal, and seroquel to be weight neutral for the most part if not 100%.

Some people may gain weight on all meds but I would venture to say that that would be rare.

Here's what I've experienced but everyone is different, of course. Also, I took all of the meds that caused weight gain when I was either anorexic or in recovery but counting calories, so I know the weight gain was due to metabolic changes (for me), not increased eating/appetite, because I never changed the # of calories I ate.

Seroquel, Invega, Saphris, and Risperdal: Weight gain but helped

Abilify and Latuda: No weight gain but useless

Geodon and Fanapt: No weight gain but other side effects that made them unbearable

It's frustrates me like crazy that I can't find an AP that works AND doesn't cause weight gain, but, if there is one, it doesn't exist yet. I hope you have better luck.

geodon without additional mood stabilizers has been weight-neutral for me. [it was the depakote that screwed me]

i believe abilify and latuda are supposed to be better with weight gain as well.

seroquel made me ravenously hungry and i gained weight.

as usual, YMMV.

Abilify probably has the best rep as being weight neutral for most people. Geodon has a similar rep. WIth seroquel or risperdal its a coin toss. Zyprexa and clozapine are most likely to cause weight gain, but they also tend to work best for most people.

I've personally found risperdal and abilify to be weight neutral, I lost 30 lbs on geodon, and the jury is still out on the seroquel. Seroquel definitely increased my appetite, but I've been managing it with roasted veggie lunches and low fat dinners.

I think the weight gain is not as important as checking your blood sugar levels and insulin.

It is true that nobody likes to look fat. The first time I took zyprexa I gained tons of weight and my sugar levels were very high. I tapered, didn´t take it for 1 and a half years. I am taking it again. This time I am very careful with this side effect. I haven´t gained that much weight but still, my sugar levels were affected. So check your sugar levels if they are high, which is not that healthy

I have gained 15 pounds on vryalar and can't seem to get it off.  I lost 12 pounds on abilify but it made me feel horrible unfortunately :(

I can't for the life of me find the link to the article that discusses this, but there are some antipsychotics that are actually associated with weight loss over a period of 10 weeks, although they're typical antipsychotics... Pimozide (Orap) and molindone (Moban) are actually associated with weight loss (-3.53 kg, -1.06 kg, respectively) Some are associated with negligible weight gain over a period of 10 weeks, such as ziprasidone (Geodon) (+0.28 kg), trifluoperazine (Stelazine) (+0.34 kg), and fluphenazine (Prolixin) (+0.43 kg), but haloperidol (Haldol) is where it starts to cause ≥ 1 lb weight gain per 10 weeks, followed by aripiprazole (Abilify) and loxapine (Loxitane). Olanzapine (Zyprexa) and clozapine (Clozaril) caused the most weight gain over 10 weeks (+3.51 kg, +4.0 kg, respectively).

This article didn't discuss newer antipsychotics like Latuda, Fanapt, Invega, Vraylar, Rexulti, or anything, though.

I can vouch for Abilify. It's been the only AP that hasn't made me gainw eight, and my pdoc confirmed that most of her patients report no weight gain on it.

• Like 1

Abilify seemed to give me anxiety at 5 mg.  I did lose 12 pounds on it. I am wondering if i should have stayed on it longer and the bad effect would have passed.  i am willing to try anything to lose weight.

None that I'm aware of. You may find that some don't cause you to gain weight, but they all have the propensity to do so.

On 03/08/2017 at 0:12 AM, Alien Navel Cord said:

I can vouch for Abilify. It's been the only AP that hasn't made me gainw eight, and my pdoc confirmed that most of her patients report no weight gain on it.

I found moderate to high doses make me crave carbs and gain weight. On 5mg now, I don't have the cravings and am losing the weight.

I lost weight on Rexulti, and it has been a great med for me. I have a long history of anorexia so weight gain is a big factor for me when deciding which med to take. Sometimes I need to gain weight but other times I'm at a healthy weight and don't need or want to gain weight. I also lost weight on a low dose of Abilify, but another time I was on a higher dose, and I gained quite a bit of weight.  I found Seroquel to be weight neutral, but then again, I wasn't on a super high dose. For me the antipsychotics that caused  the most significant weight gain have been Latuda, Zyprexa, and  Clozaril.  Of course it always varies from one person to another.

I for one am losing weight, not dramatically, but steadily, with seroquel IR. Funny, because when I took it a decade or so ago, I gained a few pounds. Now that I have a good working cocktail, I feel so much better and have so much more energy, and that's helping immensely. 

Will also say that risperdal was neutral, didn't gain, didn't lose at the time. 

I have been looking too, I really don't wanna keep gaining at this rate.

Against all odds, zyprexa has been weight neutral for me so far. I gained a lot of weight on seroquel but it seems to have plateaued.

I am on Rexulti and have not had any weight gain from it since starting it. I also take it during the day because it is not a sedating antipsychotic. So far I have had nothing but good experiences with it and no weight gain. It's a newer drug so it might be costly, but there is a coupon on Rexulti.com to get your first prescription free and pay $15 per refill after that unless your copay is higher then $200, than you have to cover the difference. I had mild akathisia which resolved in a few days and thats the only side effects I have had so far.

I say give Rexulti a try since, IME, I have no experienced any weight gain and I believe the incidence for weight gain is very low, so might be something you want to consider talking to your p. doc about. Best of luck!

On 04/03/2012 at 4:47 PM, llama44 said:

Am I reading your post right? Are you saying that no AAP's are weight neutral? I would have to say that I disagree and I would be willing to say that others would agree with me.

I have found - geodon, abilify, latuda, risperdal, and seroquel to be weight neutral for the most part if not 100%.

Some people may gain weight on all meds but I would venture to say that that would be rare.

I think the point is that every AP has the propensity to cause weight gain. Whether it does in a specific patient is another question. Just because you take a med and don't gain at weight does not mean it is weight neutral. If it has weight gain listed as a side-effect in the PI, and they all do, it is not weight neutral. Some are worse than others and it's a matter of finding one that does not cause that side effect in the particular patient.

I gained quite a bit on Zyprexa and lost all of it and then some when I switched to loxapine, and I find loxapine to be just as calming.

I gained 50 pounds on clozapine but since coming off it and switching back to haldol depot all the extra weight has come back off. I am now 80kg. I am switching again to abilifi next week

Seroquel sure didn't help my weight, but now that I'm off it I hope to be losing some. I did manage for a long time to maintain a lower weight on seroquel, but it required a strict-ish low carb diet. 

Edited by saintalto

Rexulti hasn't made me gain much of any weight, so maybe that could be an option. On the other hand, Seroquel had me eating like a cow. Interesting how two AAP can have completely different effects on appetite and weight gain. And I've been on Rexulti for 3-4 months now.