Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What do you use? Did it work? (Anti-Anxiety Meds)

28 posts in this topic

Posted

So I'm trying to find the right combinations of drugs and figuring out what does and doesn't work for you takes a lot of time. I don't know much about drugs that help anxiety and I know some anti-depressants help out. Right now I'm on Lithium for the moods and Luvox for the anxiety. But if Luvox doesn't work out, I don't really know what my options are in tackling my chronic anxiety. What have you been on or are on, what were your experiences with each anti-anxiety drug and importantly, are there any long term side effects you had to deal with? I know drugs work differently for people but it can't hurt to hear from others about it.

Much appreciated! ^_^

Posted (edited)

If I remember correctly, the SSRI's didn't help ANYTHING at all for me and just made everything worse. SNRI's seemed to help with obsessive thinking and anxiety in that department, but they made my depression worse, so now I'm resigned to be dependent on benzos for anxiety. It sucks, but they work.

I hope that your current medications help you, or if they don't that you soon find something that will. Anxiety sucks. Good luck!

ETA: Now that I think about it, Abilify really really helped the obsessive thoughts too. Abilify has been my wonder drug. I WONDER why I'm so close to being overweight now . . . hmm, ABILIFY?

Edited by The Emperor

Posted

klonopin works pretty well for me, but the anxiety never really go's away

Posted

Klonopin / Clonazepam will make you wonder what you were anxious about. Unlike some benzos (Xanax, for instance) it stays in your system a long time, so you're not checking your watch to see when you can take the next dose. Lithium & Clonazepam is a great double feature for bipolar. Good luck.

Posted

I was prescribed Seroquel XR for Bipolar Disorder, but I find it also REALLY helps with my anxiety issues

Posted

I second the Seroquel. I had been on it for about 3 years before, like an idiot, I went off of it. Panic flared up again big time and I went inpatient. I am now back on the Seroquel for a little over a week and am slowly feeling the anxiety melt away again. I am on a very low dose at the moment (50 mgs)

Posted

I used to use clonazepam (Klonopin) for all of my anxiety needs, and it worked pretty well. Then it started making me really sleepy, which made it less than ideal, but it still worked better than other meds I tried, with minimal SEs. However, what I now think is my wonder drug is Adderall XR. It makes me so calm and anxiety free, I don't even feel like myself (I've spent my life being anxious). Of course, it doesn't affect everyone this way, and you need a Dx of ADD (AFAIK), but it's remarkable how well it works against my anxiety...

Posted

Benzos are definitely useful, and klonopin is the one most often prescribed, because of the length of its half-life. Klonopin causes me to have rages, so I had to switch to Xanax. It takes longer to build a blood level on Xanax, but it can be done.

But there are a lot more SSRIs you can try. And have you tried Buspar? It doesn't work for a lot of people, but if it *does* work, it has a very low side-effect profile.

Posted

Seroquel and exercise works best for me. I've had anxiety for years and I am doing a lot better since I started taking Seroquel. I do still get a lot of anxiety, usually triggered by stuff going on in my life, but nowhere near as much as I had before.

The AD I was on (can't remember which, sorry) didn't help at all, and actually made my anxiety a lot worse (I was hallucinating). In fact, before going on that my anxiety was not a problem really, just a small amount in social situations.

Posted

Klonopin / Clonazepam will make you wonder what you were anxious about. Unlike some benzos (Xanax, for instance) it stays in your system a long time, so you're not checking your watch to see when you can take the next dose. Lithium & Clonazepam is a great double feature for bipolar. Good luck.

I don't really think you should be telling the OP what meds to take. Also, bear in mind that just because those meds worked for you doesn't mean they'll work for the OP.

As for me, my Wellbutrin/Seroquel combo has been great for anxiety. The Wellbutrin really killed my enxiety. SSRIs largely had completely the opposite effect...panic attack heaven. :(

I have had to reintroduce Valium recently, though, because things are going badly.

It's different for everyone. I hope your meds work out for you. There are lots of combos to try!

Posted

Luvox helped me a lot, I just tapered off of it due to hypomania, but some SSRI's can help with anxiety. Luvox is one of the first prescribed for OCD and such.

I found clonazepam or xanax to be the best for me. I currently take Xanax. Seroquel is great, as well but I had scary rare side effects.

Posted

Duh, I forgot to mention that I also use gabapentin (Neurontin). I've been using it for so long, I kind of forget about it, but it is mostly prescribed for my anxiety (also for some mood stabilization). It definitely helps to some degree, but not for major panic attacks or the like. It's kind of a backup to everything else. It works really well for some people, the SEs are minimal and it's cheap.

Posted

Benzos are definitely useful, and klonopin is the one most often prescribed, because of the length of its half-life. Klonopin causes me to have rages, so I had to switch to Xanax. It takes longer to build a blood level on Xanax, but it can be done.

But there are a lot more SSRIs you can try. And have you tried Buspar? It doesn't work for a lot of people, but if it *does* work, it has a very low side-effect profile.

I have tried Buspar and no it didn't nothing for me.

I have also tried Saphris and it didn't do a thing! I was having visual and audio hallucinations on it too, which my doctor told me is NOT suppose to happen.

Its quite possible I'm getting worse and I need to try to tackle this issue as soon as possible because I'm not going to lie, its all very scary to me.

So Luvox is kinda helping with persistent ruminating thoughts and my horrible night terrors and becoming less and less possibly from one of my meds. But since I just started I feel its too early to tell. I just have to adjust and see.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm not easily swayed I'm just collecting information! I find your suggestions valuable, if you have anymore please post them! Cheers! :)

Posted

I found exercise, acupuncture, and massage to be phenomenally more helpful than benzos in the long run.

Benzos were really helpful in the short run.

Posted

In the past, hydroxyzine worked wonders for anxiety and it was not habit forming. I'm allergic to Klonopin, so now I currently use lorazepam.

Posted

I've used xanax XR in combination with Abilify and found that to be great for reducing anxiety. Exercise is really helpful too.

Posted

lexapro. It helps, but I still have some anxiety.

Posted

Klonopin works great for me, at least compared to anything else I've tried.

Posted

Where do I go to talk about GAD, depression (drug resistant), and other things related to SSRI's etc...?

Posted

I had the worst case of sad that I can think of. For 6 yrs I locked myself in my room and wouldnt socialize with anyone. My doctor put me on Geodon, paxil, and lomictal and I've been doing great. In 4 months I have been able to not only get out of my room but socialize with people. Best cocktail in the world.

Posted

Where do I go to talk about GAD, depression (drug resistant), and other things related to SSRI's etc...?

Well, you could try posting here about GAD, in the depression thread for that, or over in the SSRI forum. We just ask that you only post in one place at a time (not start the same conversation in three threads). If its not in the "right" place one of the mods will move it.

Posted

I am trying to find the best combo, too. Right now its citalopram with klonopin but the citalopram sucks and isn't doing it for me so the new pdoc I am going to see Monday hopefully will prescribe something better for me.

Posted

benzodiazepines have worked the best for me. klonopin/clonazepam was my best experience with benzos, i took it 2x daily and it completely eliminated my panicky feelings and general anxiety. alprazolam/xanax worked well, but i needed something that was longer lasting. ativan/lorazepam is not strong enough for me unless i take it in high doses.

i have been prescribed buspar and paxil for anxiety as well, both sent me reeling into dysphoric manic rages.

vistaril/hydroxyzine works okay but is generally not strong enough for me either. i've taken it when it was the only thing offered by my pdoc. i also sometimes take benadryl/diphenhydramine to try and calm me down when i don't have any benzos.

i was prescribed compazine for nausea, but i would take it to calm my anxiety also.

currently my geodon helps some with the anxiety, but i use my temazepam throughout the day instead of just at bedtime to manage. barely.

Posted

I used to use clonazepam (Klonopin) for all of my anxiety needs, and it worked pretty well. Then it started making me really sleepy, which made it less than ideal, but it still worked better than other meds I tried, with minimal SEs. However, what I now think is my wonder drug is Adderall XR. It makes me so calm and anxiety free, I don't even feel like myself (I've spent my life being anxious). Of course, it doesn't affect everyone this way, and you need a Dx of ADD (AFAIK), but it's remarkable how well it works against my anxiety...

I second the Adderall. I was worried that it would make me more anxious, but it really helps with the racing thoughts.

Posted

The first medication that I took for anxiety was Celexa, and it worked wonders for me. When my anxiety dramaticaly increased due to a big chnage in my life, my pdoc raised my dose of Celexa, but it had no effect. If I stop taking Celexa I get depressed and more anxious so I have not stopped taking it. The first benzo I got was Ativan, and that really worked well for me, but my pdioc said it can be really habit forming so I try not to take it as often. I have also been on Klonopin which also worked wonders for me and helped me with my general anxiety, but I don't like taking it when I have an anxiety attack because its a slow acting drug and takes a while to take effect, so now I use Ativan for anxiety attacks. When my anxiety first started to get really really bad I was on Geodon but then my pdoc prescribed me Zyprexa, and it really helped me out with anxiety, but it made me gain weight so I stopped taking it. I have tried Neurontin (gabapentin) and that did nothing for me, I have also tried Buspar and I think it helped me a little tiny bit but nothing big, so I stopped taking it. Anxiety is horrible and I hope that you find a solution that works for yiou ! :)