Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How Do You Switch From One SSRI To Another SSRI?

28 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the process is when you switch from one SSRI to another SSRI. Do you just stop the one you've been taking and start the other or do you taper down as you start the other or... ?

I'm most interested in changing from 40 mg of Paxil to Zoloft, but interested in hearing anyones story.

Thanks! :)

Posted

When I switched from Celexa to Zoloft, I tapered down the Celexa and started the Zoloft two weeks later, but I think there were other factors involved. IIRC my pdoc wanted to see how I would feel off Celexa before adding another drug.

You can do it a couple of different ways - whatever your doc recommends is probably fine. I have also done cross-tapers between antidepressants before, where you decrease the dose of one at the same time as increasing the dose of the other.

Posted

I think it just depends on your doctor. I just quit Lexapro (20 mg) cold-turkey when I switched to Zoloft (50 mg) and didn't have any problems. Same thing when I went from Zoloft to Effexor (an SSRI, technically). However, Paxil is the SSRI that tends to have the worst withdrawal symptoms, so there's something to be said for doing a cross-taper.

Posted (edited)

In my only experience between SSRIs I titrated down on one while simultaneously titrating up on another.

I'd say it didn't go well but SSRIs jsut don't agree with me, regardless of the apporach.

Edited by Eden

Posted

I stopped Citalopram c/t, but I tapered off Fluoxitine. Depends on your doctor and your dosasge, etc.

Posted

when i went off seroxat/paxil I was in hospital and I tapered off over a week and then went on zispin/remeron. I had no problems coming off paxil, however I do know that a lot of people have problems withdrawing from it

Posted

I don't know. Some people's doctors have them taper off the current AD and then go on to the next one. I know that my doctor would just switch me from AD to AD without tapering anything. Maybe I'd take a day break between taking the old one and taking the new one sometimes. Don't know why that was. But yeah, in my experience, you just go from one to the next, and for me there were no ill effects. But YMMV.

Posted

If going from SSRI to SSRI, I usually just stop taking on and start the other. I don't get discontinuation symptoms as long as I start the new SSRI right away. I only have a problem coming completely off SSRI's.

Posted

In my personal experience, I've just switched AD's (except for MAOI's) from one to the other, no tapering. That's just experience. I had no problems.

Posted

Has anyone switched from Paxil to Zoloft. I wonder what the equalivant dose is for 40 mg of Paxil. I'm a bit worried about changing. I've been on Paxil for almost 10 years at various dosages, but I feel like it isn't working as well as it once did. :/

Posted

As far as I know, 40 mg of Paxil is equal to about 100 mg of Zoloft.

Posted

Theres probably a conversion chart on the net somewhere. I'll look.

Posted

Anyone have a link to one?

Posted

I think 40mgs Paxil = 200mgs zoloft. Both are the max recommended effective dose for depression for each drug.

Posted

Approximate equivalent dosages of SSRIs:

citalopram 20mg

escitalopram 5 mg

fluoxetine 20mg

paroxetine 20mg

sertraline 50mg

http://www.globalrph.com/antidepressants.htm

Posted

I'm switching from Celexa to Zoloft starting today, and my pdoc made me a whole week-by-week chart to get me through it.

This week I take 20mg Celexa in the morning, and 25mg Zoloft in the evening.

Next week I take 10mg Celexa in the morning, and 50mg Zoloft in the evening.

The third week I stop the Celexa and take 75mg Zoloft.

In the past I've always just stopped taking one and started the other without much issue. I'm interested to see how this cross-tapering works out.

Posted

I'm switching from Celexa to Zoloft starting today, and my pdoc made me a whole week-by-week chart to get me through it.

This week I take 20mg Celexa in the morning, and 25mg Zoloft in the evening.

Next week I take 10mg Celexa in the morning, and 50mg Zoloft in the evening.

The third week I stop the Celexa and take 75mg Zoloft.

In the past I've always just stopped taking one and started the other without much issue. I'm interested to see how this cross-tapering works out.

May I ask what you are taking the Zoloft for? I may be switching from Paxil to Zoloft

Posted

May I ask what you are taking the Zoloft for? I may be switching from Paxil to Zoloft

For depression. I was on Celexa for a while, but it hasn't been helping very much and it seriously messes with my sleep. So, time to try something new. My pdoc said it might help with my anxiety a bit as well.

Posted

Hi everyone, I'm the person who started this thread. My doctor has me going down on Paxil while going up Zoloft. I was originally on 40 mg of Paxil. Right now I'm at 10 mg Paxil and 150 mg Zoloft. I am sooo very anxious, horribly. :( Do you know think its because of the Paxil withdrawal? And Zoloft hasn't kicked in yet? Please help.

Posted

My husband was crazy anxious when he came off of Paxil, plus he lost his temper easily. He doesn't even like to talk about it.

This was just when I met him, so I wasn't present for much of it, except the anxiety.

He is on Lexapro now, and hasn't noticed side effects. But there was a several year gap between the paxil and the Lexapro.

Posted

I'm wondering if the Zoloft should be working by now? :(

Posted

Anyone? :( I'm so anxious and worried.

Posted

If you are at 100mg, the zoloft might not be working yet...it can either take 4 to 6 weeks or 6 to 8. I cant remember which, but it doesnt sound like either have passed. Im 95% sure that is true even if you are doing a cross-taper.

You could also be in the crappy middle ground of still experiencing withdrawal symptoms without feeling the benefit of the new one. I am sorry you are not feeling any benefit yet.

Posted

If you are at 100mg, the zoloft might not be working yet...it can either take 4 to 6 weeks or 6 to 8. I cant remember which, but it doesnt sound like either have passed. Im 95% sure that is true even if you are doing a cross-taper.

You could also be in the crappy middle ground of still experiencing withdrawal symptoms without feeling the benefit of the new one. I am sorry you are not feeling any benefit yet.

Thank you so much for this reply, dancesintherain. You literally made me feel so much better.

Oh I'm at 150 mg now and 10 on Paxil :)

Posted

Hi everyone, I'm the person who started this thread. My doctor has me going down on Paxil while going up Zoloft. I was originally on 40 mg of Paxil. Right now I'm at 10 mg Paxil and 150 mg Zoloft. I am sooo very anxious, horribly. :( Do you know think its because of the Paxil withdrawal? And Zoloft hasn't kicked in yet? Please help.

Hi Evey ... Zoloft can be a stimulating SSRI for many people. Also, you may not even need 150mg. 200mg is the max, and you have not even finished d/c Paxil yet.