Awetron

Life lessons for those with a new bipolar diagnosis

131 posts in this topic

When you feel things starting to go pear-shaped, get in for a med adjustment sooner rather than later. Like, go now. And do not take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get results.

Keep trying meds until you find what works for YOU. Don't let them make you feel like you're not worth helping or that your feelings and side effects don't matter. 

On the same token don't be afraid to change meds when the efficacy stops or changes. Keep up with yourself, use a journal or just put faces on a calendar. Track your moods! 

On 3/11/2012 at 10:42 AM, lifequake said:

As another newbie to the diagnosis, I'd like to add this: Take advantage of the resources available to you and don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you have access to therapy, then go. If things aren't working out with your first pdoc, then find another one who is a great fit for you. Your treatment team consists of people who are on your side, who are there to help you. Never be afraid to reach out if you need extra support or if you recognize the signs of an on-coming episode.

I cannot agree more my husband said to me " You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health , I switched 3 Physcartist in a 5 month period, it was hard but helpful, and my therapist is exceptional she has been more beneficial to me than my physcartrist. 

You know how you feel that real gut instinct like this makes me feel : sick , hungry , headache, more depressed or numb . Your brain is working to help you , help yourself for care of course this is not a license to feel this one day and make a change of treatment but I always make a mental note , I am horrible at journaling. 

I can tell my husband anything, you need that person too .. you sound like you are on your way your questions are excellent 😊

15 hours ago, Sls said:

You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health ,

Sooooo true.

It has been one year since Zoloft sent me through the roof.  It has been a year, and 13 medications later, and hopeful that lamictal will help me, after reading some messages on this board.  My advice is keep taking your meds, adjust when necessary, pray, and be patient, especially if you are newly diagnosed, and having trouble finding a good combo.  I know I have to practice what I preach...lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tired Hyena
      Hi, names Hibiki. Ive been struggling for 7+ years with Trichotillomania, Depression, ADD, Anxiety (agoraphobia , panic disorder, disassociation, etc), OCD (obsessive thoughts).  im currently on so many meds due to my age (17) (no narcotics due to me being underage.) and my insurance being the shittiest ever. Im currently taking regularly:
      •Zoloft
      •Buspar
      •Effexor
      •Seroquel 
      ive ran out of all options for medications so they threw me on effexor and although my anxiety has been absolutely crucial this past year and a half (3 attacks lasting 1 month +) ive noticed a strange effect pop up these last few days. 
      So currently I feel like im here but not here. Like everything looks weird, almost like im watching life go by through a screen. Im unable to fully concentrate on anything and i just feel exhausted. I feel like im not here but i know i am. Semi like a zombie,? Its kinda like disassociating but with my eyes. Everyone i know just looks different and everything is just strange,.. i was holding my baby brother and didnt feel like i actually was? I was talking and walking and id just suddenly stop and space out. Everything just feels distant. It also comes in waves, i will feel normal for a bit and then WHAM it attacks me from around the corner just like my panic attacks.
      I literally cannot explain what i feel but what is this?? Anyone else kinda feel the same??
      the thing is a month ago my doctor prescribed me Effexor and she told me it would take a month to get in my system, and i feel like this is a negitive effect from it. Including my memory loss . And all ive heard is negitive reviews. So im starting to panic, like horribly. Im scared im going to feel like this forever and idk what to do? Im an artist and i can no longer draw due to this and its making me worry. 
    • By kindofokay
      I've been clean almost three years...That's crazy, I never thought that I would live to see that. But sometimes it's really hard to stay alright with myself. I don't know how to support another person and still support myself and my own needs. Some might say that I just need to leave that relationship, whether it be platonic or otherwise, but this particular relationship has also enriched my life in ways that I never realized existed before I met this person. Spending time with them makes me happier than I've been in a really long time, yet they struggle with their own issues and seeing them in pain makes me feel like I can't do anything to help the people that I love. And that makes me feel like a failure. And that makes me want to self-harm. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Thoughts?
    • By hatemyocd
      Hi guys, I have just joined the forum and I was needing some advice. I suffer from severe OCD and intrusive thoughts. After having a major episode this year over the birth of my nephew, (should have been an exciting time, not OCD fuelled) I was having intrusive thoughts about my newborn nephew. I suffered major POCD and in the midst of this I was having thoughts about my ex boyfriends child. This guy has been a major source of pain in my life. Anyway, cut a long story short, I still have images of his daughter every time I have an episode. Question? Can OCD thoughts be obsessions about anything? Like why the fuck would I have thoughts about the child? It is really disturbing and upsetting. Currently on 300mg of Luvox, does jack shit for me as I have been on these meds since I was 24, I am now 42. Can anyone please shed some light? In addition to these thoughts, images of the child are also strange unnatural, sexual acts regarding her. It started off with my nephew and when I had a thought about her, thats when my world turned upside down. Now, it doesnt seem to go away during times of stress. 
    • By lightriso
      Hello. I self harm.
      Today at school, I was pointing to a word in a textbook, and one of my friends asked, "what happened to your arm?" A wave of panic ran through my veins, I've been hiding my cuts for a while, no one has taken the time to notice. I do wear long sleeves, but I roll them about two folds up, so my wrists and a semi part of my top forearm are revealed. I pressed my lips together in reply, the rest of my friends staring at me with concerned expressions. Shortly after, two of my friends (not counting the one who asked) went to go talk in the corner and I know they were talking about my cuts. 
      I was sitting in sixth period and my friend (one of the friends who went aside and talked in the corner) asked me if I was alright. I simply answered with a nod. 
      I feel like my friends are texting each other about my issue. I don't need pity, attention, or any sort of that matter. I'm glad they care, that's what friends do, help each other. I'm very grateful to have them in my life, but I'm not comfortable about telling them the fact I self harm. I fear they'll all gonna stare at my forearm tomorrow and question me. 
    • By 707Red
      Uhm I was wondering what Panic Attack Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder really are. My therapist said that she thinks I have Panic Attack Disorder and i dont really understand what that means. Of course it has to deal with panic attacks but could you explain exactly what a panic attack is? I don't know if I'm having a Panic attack or something else. If she corresponds to it, I'm 13 years old. Please don't suspect me as a attention seeker. Also, will people think it's weird for me to have a disorder like those? The only disorders some people have at my school are ADD and Adhd. I want to be a detective and will disorders bring me down?