CrazyBoards.org

Awetron

Life lessons for those with a new bipolar diagnosis

When you feel things starting to go pear-shaped, get in for a med adjustment sooner rather than later. Like, go now. And do not take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get results.

Keep trying meds until you find what works for YOU. Don't let them make you feel like you're not worth helping or that your feelings and side effects don't matter. 

On the same token don't be afraid to change meds when the efficacy stops or changes. Keep up with yourself, use a journal or just put faces on a calendar. Track your moods! 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2012 at 10:42 AM, lifequake said:

As another newbie to the diagnosis, I'd like to add this: Take advantage of the resources available to you and don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you have access to therapy, then go. If things aren't working out with your first pdoc, then find another one who is a great fit for you. Your treatment team consists of people who are on your side, who are there to help you. Never be afraid to reach out if you need extra support or if you recognize the signs of an on-coming episode.

I cannot agree more my husband said to me " You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health , I switched 3 Physcartist in a 5 month period, it was hard but helpful, and my therapist is exceptional she has been more beneficial to me than my physcartrist. 

You know how you feel that real gut instinct like this makes me feel : sick , hungry , headache, more depressed or numb . Your brain is working to help you , help yourself for care of course this is not a license to feel this one day and make a change of treatment but I always make a mental note , I am horrible at journaling. 

I can tell my husband anything, you need that person too .. you sound like you are on your way your questions are excellent 😊

15 hours ago, Sls said:

You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health ,

Sooooo true.

It has been one year since Zoloft sent me through the roof.  It has been a year, and 13 medications later, and hopeful that lamictal will help me, after reading some messages on this board.  My advice is keep taking your meds, adjust when necessary, pray, and be patient, especially if you are newly diagnosed, and having trouble finding a good combo.  I know I have to practice what I preach...lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By PlumDumb
      I've been on SSDI for the last 4 years. I moved in with my parents because and I wanted to help them afford their bills, and it would make life easier on my not having to deal with the stress of managing finances. I'm 28 now, and over the last 4 years I have been struggling with alcoholism, smoking, and a drunkenly abusive mother. I used to give them my entire check of $944, but about 6 months ago I decided to make my own bank account and start saving money, while still paying a good portion of the bills.

It's come to the point where I am getting worse and worse being in this environment and I have to change it if my life is ever going to get better. I stopped drinking a few weeks ago and have been using nicotine patches. Sometimes I get very anxious and depressed because of the environment here and have small relapses. And not being able to sleep without being drunk has been a massive issue. All of this is compounded with the daily stress of living with drunk, abusive parents. The other morning my mother woke me, and violently attacked me; clawing and scratching my neck, ripping my shirt, etc. She is angry I've only been giving them $700 instead of the $944 I used to give.

At this point I have saved a decent amount of money, enough to make the move safely with a bit of money left over in case of an emergency. I have been worrying about my options though. Right now I'm getting $944 a month, and no other benefits. I am trying to find a decent place to move into, near bus lines and walking paths because I have no car. What worries me is a few things: I haven't had my name on a rental contract since 2011, and have no credit so I'm afraid my applications for apartments will be rejected; I'm worried about my benefits decreasing if I move out to be alone, and worried I won't be able to afford food. I won't be able to contact the SSDI offices until Monday or Tuesday, so waiting is killing me and making me sick with worry.

If anyone has any experience with this I'd like some knowledge or advice on how my benefits could change if I move out to live alone, if it's possible that I'll be able to receive aid with buying food, and especially what difficulties I might have trying to apply for an apartment without having decent credit or a rent contract since 2011. I'm talking about a regular apartment, not assisted living or Section 8. I've never been evicted and ended all my previous rent contracts on good terms.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
    • By lightriso
      Okay so my group of friends got into a huge argument today, I witnessed it over text.
      But one of my really close friends (one of the best people I've ever known), she got really mad and relapsed after being clean for so long.
      I feel really bad, I don't know what to do, I want the people I love to be the happiest people in the world.
      I'm not triggered, I'm just asking for advice. I want my best friend to be happy. 

• By ideallymark
      I have tried to stop self harming and it's not working. I have been cutting for a little over 2 years and have tried to stop multiple times, but with no luck. I had stopped for about 3 months and relapsed about an hour ago. I can't control myself when I feel emotions and I absolutely hate it. I can't talk about it in person, or I break down. Any replies would be nice. I would just like to talk to people that don't know me as a person and have never met me, it helps a lot.
    • By Cerberus
      Okay my honeys, time to Make It Rain. You're our sugar babies and We need all the moneys to make this place swing, so smack that donate button and blow your wad on...

...oh, hell, I can't keep that crap going. Here's the deal, lovelies. This place is run on half a shoestring and some wishful thinking, along with whatever goodwill members supply to VE in the form of donations. We know that the loon pills and the pdoc appointments set you back, and we don't ask anyone to do anything crazy... but maybe something a little bit fabulous. Even a very few dollars can help keep the lights on here. Without them, one day you may log on to find "404 - Not Found" and then where will we all go to proudly fly our rainbow crazy flags?
      We've been here for twelve years, but the web's a rough-and-tumble place, and squatting here ain't free. It ain't even cheap. If Crazyboards has helped you through a dark time, please consider helping in return. Please, give what you can, when you can.
    • By Cerberus
      The world often doesn't make sense, and we have to make sense of it ourselves. Here's something you can wrap your head around - a simple logical proof: (A) Crazyboards cannot function without donations. (B) The source of those donations is our members. Therefore (C) if members do not donate, Crazyboards will cease to function.
      We know that the mental health care costs a suitcase full, and we don't expect anyone to drop Benjamins on us (though feel free). But even a very few dollars can help keep the lights on here. Without them, one day you may log on to find "404 - Not Found" and then where will we all go to proudly defy the neurotypicals?
      We've been here for twelve years, but the web's a rough-and-tumble place, and squatting here ain't free. It ain't even cheap. If Crazyboards has helped you through a dark time, please consider helping in return. Please, give what you can, when you can.