Awetron

Life lessons for those with a new bipolar diagnosis

127 posts in this topic

When you feel things starting to go pear-shaped, get in for a med adjustment sooner rather than later. Like, go now. And do not take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get results.

Keep trying meds until you find what works for YOU. Don't let them make you feel like you're not worth helping or that your feelings and side effects don't matter. 

On the same token don't be afraid to change meds when the efficacy stops or changes. Keep up with yourself, use a journal or just put faces on a calendar. Track your moods! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jurk07
      This is amazing. I've been labled depemding where ive been (prison,jail,psych,rehab,clinics)  with borderline bipolar, depression, add, Ptsd and borderline personality. No one can tell me what I am. Prolly the reason for such a fucked life led by myself calling all the shots. I'm fucking broken and need help. I know most here are not Dr's, like 99 percent lol. But, I'd love some sort of feedback.
      I'm 26 parents both hate me for constant raging outbursts. Just left, more like kicked out, of my son's mothers house. I burn down anything I touch. I feel no empathy twprds other and throw around that I don't feel ever. I don't have feels. This is untrue cus I can easily fall in love and stay this way for months to years. It takes that person to do me wrong, or what I view as wrong for me to unlove them. I resented my son for the first 6 mos of his life and hated myself for it. I'm always always there for him even with the split, altho I get tired of him fast.
      My current gf has anxiety bad. Like cry yell dominate and take over everyone's attention. But I love her so so much meds or not. I have terrible issues with people looking at questions and not replying to me. I can also lose all happiness at the turn of a switch, for the smallest reason. Anything else anyone's wondering ask away. Looking for 100 percent feedback. Oh shit Dr has me on seroquel for moods currently searching Vyvanse or Adderall to pair. Previouslytaken effexor, lithium, thorzine, zoloft, xanax, valum, Prozac, welbutrin ect......
    • By CZR6
      Hey I am an 19 year old male who has recently began to lose his mind 
      I used to be a witty charming teen starting out until I was bullied into becoming a social outcast. I dated a girl with bi polar disorder and she made me go on an emotional roller coaster with her until I got fed up and left her and then I was made to look like the bad guy I lost all my friends and now live in perpetual fear of losing control over a situation or lose friends. I left High School only with bitter memories, no one wanted to be associated with me and ever talked to me because they felt sorry for me.
      in college I entered at 17 years old,  I was in Army ROTC my grades weren't the best but I had friends finally and a good activity to do. I ended up dating a girl who mentally abused me and even bullied me into feeling inferior she even blamed me for rape when she changed her mind about what we did the night before. I was kicked out of ROTC and lost all my friends again. 
      With nothing left I did what any sane person would do. I joined the Marines shipped out for boot camp and endured almost 3 months of hell until one day I broke both of my legs and parts of my back after a training exercise. I came back home feeling like a failure again. I let all my friends down in my platoon because I couldn't finish 
      I came home back to an overcrowded apartment with 11 people living here with my parents. I've been in and out of work I was academically dismissed from college. No college has even responded to my submitted applications and it's been 3 months 
      I can't live anymore knowing all throughout my teen years everyone else was happy and I wasn't I was always going through something. Recently I've been having thoughts of suicide, my romantic interest joined the marines too and has diverted her attention to someone else who suits her more because I'm a nasty civilian and she's a marine as she puts it 
      dating sucks for me because I don't know what to say or how to act and I always get the awkward silence to kill everything for me 
      I can't afford to move out of my parents overcrowded apartment 
      I've lost all my social life (what was left of it) and so I've come here to ask for help because counseling didn't help 
      recently I've been so depressed and feeling so helpless and worthless like I'm taking up space, I've been eating less and staying holed up in what I call a hell hole with only games and myself to keep me company almost like if I've hit rock bottom and this is the end of the line. Me a grown ass man cries himself to sleep every night while during the day I wear a fake smile and fake emotions just to seem normal 
    • By DoILookOkay
      Putting ice down my shirt
      drawing where I want to cut
      Going straight to bandaging
      Snapping a rubber band against my skin
      Biting my lip
      Squeezing where my scars are
      Writing in morbid detail where and how I'd like to cut
      Imagining cutting myself
      Tracing scars in pen
      taking a cold shower

I do all of these EVERY DAY, yet I still self harm close to 5 times a day. Please tell me your strategies
    • By Poem
      Hi everyone,
      I edited this post because I decided it would be better to leave particulars out. However, I know someone who I suspect may be on the Schizoid continuum and was wondering if those of you with that diagnoses would be willing to share their experiences with the disorder.
      Can you be social, even though you don't want to be? Do you absolutely prefer to be alone and shun social contact, or have a few people that you can tolerate in your life? How does it feel inside, or better yet how do you try to express your internal state? Do you feel split? Do you crave a connection with others, but can't act on it?
      Sorry for all the questions. I just want answers "straight from the horse's mouth" so to speak.
      Thank you,
      Poem
    • By ibreatheandcounttoten
      So these past 2.5 days I've had that really panicky feeling where I'm going to cry but then I don't and I can't breath because I'm so scared and then I'm fine and I can't function and suddenly I can. I don't know what's happening, I'm going to be going out with a friend in a few days and I'm out with my granddad tomorrow and I'm terrified I'm going to have a panic or anxiety attack when I am out. I'm so scared, I don't know how to tell my mum about it, and I'm at my grandparents house and they mock me for my anxiety. I've been looking for support on the #AlwaysKeepFighting community but that seems to make me more anxious which is a shame because I love that community so much (check it out, seriously). What's happening? What do I do?