Awetron

Life lessons for those with a new bipolar diagnosis

130 posts in this topic

When you feel things starting to go pear-shaped, get in for a med adjustment sooner rather than later. Like, go now. And do not take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get results.

Keep trying meds until you find what works for YOU. Don't let them make you feel like you're not worth helping or that your feelings and side effects don't matter. 

On the same token don't be afraid to change meds when the efficacy stops or changes. Keep up with yourself, use a journal or just put faces on a calendar. Track your moods! 

On 3/11/2012 at 10:42 AM, lifequake said:

As another newbie to the diagnosis, I'd like to add this: Take advantage of the resources available to you and don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you have access to therapy, then go. If things aren't working out with your first pdoc, then find another one who is a great fit for you. Your treatment team consists of people who are on your side, who are there to help you. Never be afraid to reach out if you need extra support or if you recognize the signs of an on-coming episode.

I cannot agree more my husband said to me " You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health , I switched 3 Physcartist in a 5 month period, it was hard but helpful, and my therapist is exceptional she has been more beneficial to me than my physcartrist. 

You know how you feel that real gut instinct like this makes me feel : sick , hungry , headache, more depressed or numb . Your brain is working to help you , help yourself for care of course this is not a license to feel this one day and make a change of treatment but I always make a mental note , I am horrible at journaling. 

I can tell my husband anything, you need that person too .. you sound like you are on your way your questions are excellent 😊

15 hours ago, Sls said:

You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health ,

Sooooo true.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By gentlelamb
      Hi all. My girlfriend was in therapy in college and the Dr there had given her depression/anxiety meds but she's run out. She felt like they helped but wants to put a label to what's going on so that way the meds will be a better fit. We moved so she's seeing a therapist outside of college for the first time, every two weeks for about 6 months and she feels like it isn't helping. She does get along with the therapist. 
      I sat in with her on one of the sessions when my gf wanted me to give my POV of what her emotions/mood swings/outbursts are like. The therapist seems to be very focused on changing her way of thinking which is good but says a lot of things like "happiness is a choice" and other similar things regarding happiness. My gf wants to be happy and does have negative thinking and emotional outbursts, mainly anger and sadness. She's very down about therapy and feels like the sessions recently are a chore and hates going to them because nothing has changed.
      I'm not sure what to help her look for when we move again soon and search for another therapist. Does anyone have any recommendations? She would like to be diagnosed and feels like a bad person/that something is wrong with her that can never be "fixed."
      x gentlelamb 
    • By UpDownGirl
      Day two of a hypomanic episode and idk how much longer I can deal with it. On top of that I got into a fight with a friend that ended with him saying that I'm dead to him. Taking tomorrow off work to see my psych but I'm worried I won't get in. Have any of you called in last minute? I'm worried about that more than anything. I know I'll deeply regret burning another bridge but right now I just want to focus on feeling better. 
    • By anzu
      hello i dont really know where to post this but im having a sort of breakdown of sorts and i
      really dont know who i am. at all
      i feel like i'm all fake and i feel like im faking everything on a subconscious level. ive been struggling for a while with alot of mood swings and anxiety about friends and family and paranoia and i just 
      i feel like im faking everything and i feel like im not me i feel like im just. pieces of other people put together and im so scared that im not real im fake.i dont know what to do im sorry
    • By anzu
      hello. i also need help with,, bipolar like symptoms 
      i have mood swings at the tiniest things. i'm so happy! i feel so great, im talking alot and being happy but then all of a sudden i cant do something i want to do and i drop super bad and then even five minutes after id be happy again
      i have bad relationships with people and i. feel like people hate me if they dont laugh loud enough at a joke i tell. i have paranoia that everyone talks about me and how bad i am and that they're all lying. i have bad relationships were i usually obsess over a certain person, and i never really hang out with anyone else but them. if they dont comfort me, then they hate me. id hate them but then after the arguments over they're my favourite person in the world
      im sorry if i sound incoherent im not great at the moment
      my ex described me once as "being one way one moment then something else the next" or somethn and whenever i get really happy about stuff i like my brother tells me im being hyper n stuff and it usually brings my mood down because i dont want to be annoying,
      anyway sorry. any advice would be helpful. i'm 15 and im diagnosed with depression & GAD. ive been trying to get a proper re-diagnosis because i havent been going to school because i just. feel like i cant have healthy relationships with anyone and its just scary. 
      thank you for any help you give me,