CrazyBoards.org

Awetron

Life lessons for those with a new bipolar diagnosis

When you feel things starting to go pear-shaped, get in for a med adjustment sooner rather than later. Like, go now. And do not take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get results.

Keep trying meds until you find what works for YOU. Don't let them make you feel like you're not worth helping or that your feelings and side effects don't matter. 

On the same token don't be afraid to change meds when the efficacy stops or changes. Keep up with yourself, use a journal or just put faces on a calendar. Track your moods! 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2012 at 10:42 AM, lifequake said:

As another newbie to the diagnosis, I'd like to add this: Take advantage of the resources available to you and don't be afraid to ask for help.

If you have access to therapy, then go. If things aren't working out with your first pdoc, then find another one who is a great fit for you. Your treatment team consists of people who are on your side, who are there to help you. Never be afraid to reach out if you need extra support or if you recognize the signs of an on-coming episode.

I cannot agree more my husband said to me " You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health , I switched 3 Physcartist in a 5 month period, it was hard but helpful, and my therapist is exceptional she has been more beneficial to me than my physcartrist. 

You know how you feel that real gut instinct like this makes me feel : sick , hungry , headache, more depressed or numb . Your brain is working to help you , help yourself for care of course this is not a license to feel this one day and make a change of treatment but I always make a mental note , I am horrible at journaling. 

I can tell my husband anything, you need that person too .. you sound like you are on your way your questions are excellent 😊

15 hours ago, Sls said:

You have to be your own advocate when it comes to your health ,

Sooooo true.

It has been one year since Zoloft sent me through the roof.  It has been a year, and 13 medications later, and hopeful that lamictal will help me, after reading some messages on this board.  My advice is keep taking your meds, adjust when necessary, pray, and be patient, especially if you are newly diagnosed, and having trouble finding a good combo.  I know I have to practice what I preach...lol

I can never get complacent.  I have no choice but to constantly monitor my emotions and behavior because I don't have the same inherent control 'normal' people have.

For my ego and self-respect, I have to wipe the slate clean and just start over now.  I had no idea I was bipolar until very recently in my life.  I knew I was very different but I know now it's not due to any moral failure.  It's really a combination of chemistry, genetics, and childhood environment.  Now I know what the story is and I need to move forward, 100% sober, to enjoy the remainder of my life.