Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Any foundations I can donate to?

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm looking for places I can donate to for 2012, and having had a brain cavernoma, I'm hoping to find something in the realm of brain research, or mental illness research.

Any ideas? Must be tax-deductible =D

Posted · Report post

How about to CB? :) There's a fundraiser right now.

Posted · Report post

How about to CB? :) There's a fundraiser right now.

If it were tax deductible I would =P

Ladybug, that site looks sketchy. I'm not sure about it, do you know anything about them?

Cetkat, I actually looked at alzheimers research yesterday, and I was intrigued by it. It's one of those diseases that just makes you cry, because you lose someone mentally slowly. I think physical pain is a lot easier to deal with.

Posted · Report post

Cetkat, I actually looked at alzheimers research yesterday, and I was intrigued by it. It's one of those diseases that just makes you cry, because you lose someone mentally slowly. I think physical pain is a lot easier to deal with.

Yes, it's a very tragic occurrence. The person knows what's happening and can't stop it - slowing the progression is really the treatment of the time. Their loved ones see someone they love disappear and caretaking really takes its toll.

Alzheimer's runs in my father's side of my family rather strongly. It's very late in its presentation in our case - my great grandmother was 101 when I saw her in a care facility. The sole memory I have of her is of a woman being taken out of bed and into a chair with no idea what was going on, who she was, who we were... pure terror. Emotions are all that are left when understanding is gone. They're not all negative ones, but it's a horrible concept to be ruled by everything except yourself. My grandmother (her daughter) had it as well, but hers only progressed to generalized confusion. She died before it really took its toll. I believe she was in her 70's - I was a just a young kid so I'm not entirely sure. It's too early to tell if my father (an only child) will be struck with it too.

They've been able to learn quite a bit about the physical reasons behind Alzheimer's from studying donated brain material from sufferers; however, there is a lot of lines of study that still need to be followed if they are going to be able to determine why the structures that essentially kill the brain are allowed to form.

There was a documentary series on HBO called The Alzheimer's Project that I watched. If you're interested, you can see it on their site here:

http://www.hbo.com/a.../the-films.html

It's about the personal and family ramifications along with a significant amount of information about the known physiology and current research.