Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trepanist

L-Theanine vs. Benzos, A good alternative?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all. I am currently taking 1.5 mg Klonopin and 20 mg Lexapro daily for OCD.

Both meds work really well. Although 'Special K' has lost it's efficacy after I inadvisedly attempted to taper last year. i couldn't handle the withdrawal symptoms and resumed at a higher dose.

Now I really want to get off of K because I am concerned about long term affects, and my memory is now being afffected by the higher dose. But things go 'real bad' for me when I don't have a a potent benzo in my system.

Up until now I had the view that even if K shortend my life, that the peace it brings makes it worth it. Now I am not so sure.

Anyway, I am considering a much slower taper this time using the Ashton method. And I am pinning my sanity on the use of L-Theanine, an amino acid that calms me as well. The only problem there is that I have to take it every hour to maintain the effects. A thin tightrope to walk every day. Also, when I'm off K, it may not compensate enough.

So.....I am wondering what other's experience is with L-Theanin eis. For those with sever OCD or anxiety, does it work well as a benzo substitute for you?

Thanks.

In my opinion, I think it would be better to stay on what is working, I don't see how it could shorten your life. If your dead set on changing meds maybe try Ativan at 2mg or so and see if you can get by with less side effects.

BTW special K is a name used for ketamine as a street drug, you threw me off for a moment there :P

I can't imagine that overloading your body with an amino acid is good while klonopin is bad. I have never read that benzos shorten your life span so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about that. I have never tried L-Theanine so I can't speak to its efficacy, but I would suspect that if it is so efficacious we would have heard about it all over the news.

If you are going to use L-Theanine (which I do not advise), please call your pdoc before starting it, and see if it is okay. Supplements can screw up psychiatric medication.

I have used it. Have a whole bottle of it with Suntheanine a trademark. Theanine is a derivitive of green tea and there is considerable research indicating efficacy do a pubmed search and you will see quite a good bit of research supporting it; however my personal experience with it is that it cannot hold a candle to a benzo-any benzo for serious anxiety. That said it does have some distinct calming effect and I think for someone seriously trying a withdrawel schedule it might not be a bad idea to discuss it with your doctor because it does seem to me to ease the negative effects. I am currently trying to ease off Klonpin 3 x .5 mg a day to a PRN status

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Homicidal or Harm OCD?
      By chero
      I need help with something I'm struggling to understand. I used to be friends with this kid who I'm going to refer to as X and had to get a restraining order against him about a year and a half ago because he was homicidal and describing very graphic things he wanted to do to people and he said he was afraid he would accidentally hurt me. I talked to him for the first time since the restraining order. It was through our school that we talked (because the school has been involved in this since the beginning) and X told me that he has since been diagnosed with Intrusive Thought OCD and I don't believe that his OCD is how he got homicidal thoughts. When I first got the restraining order I looked up all kinds of stuff about homicidal ideation and things and came across Harm OCD. All of the sites that I looked at explained that in Harm OCD, people have these thoughts and can't control and rarely ever actually want to do these things or act on them. They tend to express a lot of fear around these thoughts too. The only time X expressed fear was when he said he was afraid he might accidentally hurt/kill me. All the others times he would describe to me in graphic detail what he wanted to do to people and he was super nonchalant about it. He even laughed about it. X also told me that he always just says what he needs to say to get by, so when he doesn't want to be in a situation he makes stuff up or goes with what he thinks is the best answer, regardless of what he's actually feeling. He also likes to play the victim in things. I'm confused and need help understanding this. Please help. I'm scared at school because I don't know if he's going to hurt me or someone else. Thank you. 
    • Day 17
      By Morgan31
      I’m on day 17 of taking Luvox and I’m experiencing some things that I haven’t read anywhere else. Particularly, how quickly the medicine is leaving my system. 
      I’m taking 25mg non-extended release TWICE a day. Midnight and noon. (Other meds I'm taking: Depakote ER 500mg, Clonazepam 0.5 twice daily, PRN)  
      I can take the Luvox and within an hour I feel good, stable, thoughts are in the background of my mind but not bothering me, I have a massive thirst and appetite. All good things. Then by the time 5-6 hours has passed I’m so irritable and sad (crying) and feel so trapped (helpless, hopeless, etc.) 
      I understand it is early days but I don’t know why it’s going through my system so quickly. I’m not taking aspirin, I stopped all coffee and nicotine. 
      Has anyone else experienced this? I have tried taking 50mg all at once but it makes me 'too happy', like it’s dumping the meds into my system all at once and then I crash. So I thought splitting up the 50mg into two 25mg increments every 12 hours would help. I’ve only been doing the split up for 4 days now.
      Also, the headache and diarrhea is just ridiculous but I don’t care as long as this medicine may help me. I'm currently bed ridden and housebound with my mental issues and haven't left my home in a very long time. I’ve been walking around with sunglasses on as well and cotton balls in my ears with headphones because all my senses are so sensitive right now. It feels like serious sensory overload since starting the Luvox. 
      Anyways, sorry for such a long post. 

• Lowering my Luvox Dose..What a mess!
      By Sketch2000
      Sup guys,
      I"ve been taking luvox, klnopin, and lamictal for Chronic Depersonalization and Derealization since 2009. This year I decided to try some stimulants to help with my dissociation. Adderal and Ritalin helped but caused pain. So...I recently went down on my luvox by 50mg for 7 days (I take 150 daily so I dropped to 100, skipped the afternoon dose), then the plan was to try straterra if no withdrawal type symptoms persist. I tried the straterra - and ever since I've had nothing but racing thoughts, mania, songs playing in my head, etc. So I stopped the straterra (obviously) after 2 days, and went back up on my luvox (I didn't think that the luvox was the problem - but i wanted to get back to where I was which was VERY VERY manageable) and I'm far from that right now. Despite re-starting my luvox, I'm still having mania and anhedonia like symptoms. No pleasure, etc.... I'm hoping that this will just take some time to pass. I'ts been a week since I've gone back to my regular Luvox dosage and I still don't feel the same. When I can focus and stay on point I'm okay...but otherwise the thoughts wreak havoc and I'm really not excited or looking forward to anything! I think the combination of going down, trying something new, etc. has just wreaked havoc with my brain and I have to get my chemistry right. I know Luvox is also a very hard drug to come off due to its short half life, so perhaps its the decrease in my Luvox symptoms that caused this? Or Straterra? IDK. Any thoughts?
    • Mania? Induced by med changes?
      By Sketch2000
      Sup guys,
      I've had a diagnosis of Chronic Depersonalization and Derealizaiton Disorder since 2008. Since that time I've been on a steady regimen of Luvox, Klonopin, and Lamictal (which is recommended by the University of London for Chronic DP) - since that time I've been pretty stable. But in the best interest of trying to improve some things I've lowered my klonpin and lamictal successfully. I recently tried Adderal - which helped dramatically with my motivation, apathy, and keeping me away and not so sedated. But it exacerbated a facial pain syndrome I have. Next up was Ritalin - I felt great - not euphoric - but I just generally felt good-  not depressed, motivated, and up all day for the first time in years. It also kept my ruminations and Depersonalization at bay. But again, anything that stimulates your central nervous system will exacerbate nerve pain - so I had to stop. My pdoc and I came up with a plan to - a) Lower my luvox (I currently take 150mg) so lower 50mg for 7 days - if I have no symptoms (which I didn't) begin using Straterra (to try) and see if it provides a similar benefit to the ritalin. I tried the Straterra - lasted 2 days. I experienced exacerbation of what I think is mania - I've never been compulsive - only a lot of ruminations. But now I"m having songs playing constantly in my head, conversations going over and over in my head, drifting off into space, and so on. A few days after stopping the straterra I went back up on my Luvox to the 150mg dosage (I had been down to 100mg for 9 days) even though I don't think Luvox was the culprit, I figured I need to have a reference point to get back to - I have been on this regimen for years - since 2012 at least - so I know how I felt and have a reference point. Since going back to 150 mg of Luvox I feel slightly better but I'm not where I was. Its been a week. Since I've never stopped the Luvox the 50mg should have gone straight into my system? Why isn't it working? And if (and I"m assuming given what i've been thru with psychiatry) that straterra and luvox can have these affects - how long will it last to get back to normal. Anyone have simliar experiences?