Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How long does it take for Seroquel to work?

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I've been on Seroquel before, but it was so long ago that quite frankly it's like being put on it again for the first time. I don't remember what it was like being on it.

In the past few weeks, obsessive thoughts, deluded thoughts, and racing thoughts have been making it almost impossible to function without intense suffering. Obsessive, delusional, and racing. This cocktail of thoughts is in a symbiotic relationship with rapid cycling of moods in what I fear is a terribly mixed episode of bipolar. That's how I'd describe it now.

I've been prescribed 25mg of Seroquel to be taken at night, on a full stomach. I've been on it for a few days, and it's certainly made things better. But just because something is better does not make it tolerable.

Right now, my thoughts are somewhat less obsessive, still deluded, and merely pacing instead of racing. It's like they've had molasses dumped on them (same with me, although I've heard that this wears off over time). It's easier - but still immensely difficult - to stay focused on anything, even the things I enjoy. I still can't spend time with friends or watch a movie or read a book without the thoughts constantly attempting to derail my enjoyment.

I've heard that Seroquel takes a while for the full benefits of it to kick in. I just have to ask, how long? How many more days will the obsessive thoughts torment me? How many more days of rapid fluctuations in mood and outlook? How many more days before I can start to think clearly again?

Or is it possible that Seroquel might not be the right medication?

I'm also taking Wellbutrin (300mg) in the morning and Prozac (10mg). I don't see the PDoc in another month.

Hope you guys can offer some help and/or insight.

Edited by Smedley

Posted

Well it depends what you are taking if for. It can take several weeks at a therapeutic dose (150mg-300mg) to ease depression. Mania or mixed episodes often require higher dosages 400mg +. Personally it took about 2 weeks on 600mg to bring me down from mania. Now I started feeling the effects after a week but it took longer to be fully effective. Everyone is different and responds to a medication in different ways in different time frames.

To be honest, if you are experiencing a mixed episode 25mg is not going to do much for you. 25mg might help you sleep, but that's about it.

Posted

yeah, 25mg is just going to act like a strong benadryl (mostly affects the histamine receptors) and it might put you to sleep. is your doctor planning to increase your dosage after a period of time?

Posted

I am taking the same medication and I am on 200mg of it. It took me about a week to feel the full effects of the med. It is a very effective medication. It helps with my bipolor and depression. So, just hang in there you will feel the full effects very soon :)

Posted

I take 400 mgs for my bipolar.

Someone whom I know well takes 800 mgs for his bipolar.

My doctor has told me that if I start to swing into mania I can increase

my Seroquel dose up to 800 mgs. Hopefully I won't need to do that.

25 mgs is like a sleeping pill.

You need to have a talk with your doctor about Seroquel and dosage.

Posted

I agree, 25mg will help you sleep, but I don't think it's going to touch much of your other symptoms. I was up to 300mg before my symptoms appeared to be under control and then a month in we needed to go up to 400mg. After a bout of rage, pdoc added in another 100mg to be taken during the day. Unfortunately, me and quel ended our relationship about a month ago.

Posted

I agree that you need to talk to your pdoc about increasing the dosage.

I started on 300mg for a week, and then went to 600mg (which I have been on ever since). I don't know about mood symptoms as I don't have them. But I found that my anxiety started to reduce probably during the first couple of weeks, as did the external thoughts that I was originally prescribed the Seroquel for, so pretty soon after reaching my full dose. Then I went through a strange period of confusion (that actually lasted several months, but I was coming out of a long running psychosis). I would say I had the full effect (getting rid of most of my delusions) starting after about 2 months or so, but I was on my way towards that probably from when my anxiety started reducing (losing the odd delusion here and there).

I am still not 100% symptom free (I still get stress related psychosis, which also causes a lot of anxiety), but mostly I am doing well and functioning a lot better than I ever could before going on meds.

Posted

I am taking the same medication and I am on 200mg of it. It took me about a week to feel the full effects of the med. It is a very effective medication. It helps with my bipolor and depression. So, just hang in there you will feel the full effects very soon :)

How long did it take for you?

Posted

Obviously all's I can give you is my personal experience; Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), what happens to one person may not happen to you and vice-versa.

In my case, I'm taking it as a mood stabiliser in an effort to level out my rapid cycling bipolar & to reduce my constant anxiety (I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder as well).

I've been on Seroquel in both of its forms for about 1 month. First I tried the IR (25mgs twice a day) but all that did was make me a permanent zombie. Now I'm on the XR version (100mgs all taken at night) & am still dealing with the (for me) very sedative side effects. I can relate to feeling like your body & brain are coated in molasses. I'm still feeling much the same way.

I have noticed a difference in my thinking (for the better) and I'm noticing that I'm becoming more tolerant in my "self-talk" to myself -which is wonderful-, so for that reason alone I'll persist. (I have a lot of self hate going on, so anything that reduces that -even by only a fraction- I'll definitely try to stay on it).

I've heard (from both my GP & my Shrink) that Seroquel can take up to 3 months to "get used to" *sigh* (but remember, YMMV)

So far it hasn't dampened down my anxiety as much as I'd like, but I'm still on a low dose. I'm going to give it my best shot & stay on Seroquel until the end of June, if I'm still feeling as much of a zombie as I am at this point in time, I'll be asking my Drs to consider switching me to something else less sedating (if at all possible).

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

I hope this post makes some sense!!!

Posted

Obviously all's I can give you is my personal experience; Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV), what happens to one person may not happen to you and vice-versa.

In my case, I'm taking it as a mood stabiliser in an effort to level out my rapid cycling bipolar & to reduce my constant anxiety (I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder as well).

I've been on Seroquel in both of its forms for about 1 month. First I tried the IR (25mgs twice a day) but all that did was make me a permanent zombie. Now I'm on the XR version (100mgs all taken at night) & am still dealing with the (for me) very sedative side effects. I can relate to feeling like your body & brain are coated in molasses. I'm still feeling much the same way.

I have noticed a difference in my thinking (for the better) and I'm noticing that I'm becoming more tolerant in my "self-talk" to myself -which is wonderful-, so for that reason alone I'll persist. (I have a lot of self hate going on, so anything that reduces that -even by only a fraction- I'll definitely try to stay on it).

I've heard (from both my GP & my Shrink) that Seroquel can take up to 3 months to "get used to" *sigh* (but remember, YMMV)

So far it hasn't dampened down my anxiety as much as I'd like, but I'm still on a low dose. I'm going to give it my best shot & stay on Seroquel until the end of June, if I'm still feeling as much of a zombie as I am at this point in time, I'll be asking my Drs to consider switching me to something else less sedating (if at all possible).

Sorry I can't give you a better answer.

I hope this post makes some sense!!!

This post definitely makes sense, and thank you for the effort.

I'm not going to see the doc for another month. I think I'm going to just endure until then, and see what happens. I just want to know as much as possible before I go back.

Posted

I did a rapid titration from 50mg to 300mg of Seroquel XR in six days. My pdoc said that rapidly increasing the dose each night would help dampen the sleep-zombie feeling. He was right. It worked immediately for my agitated hypomania, and after about 4-6 weeks I felt the depression lifting too. I take my Seroquel at 6:30 or 7pm, before dinner. Some nights I get very sleepy around 10pm and some nights I don't really feel drowsy, but still fall asleep immediately after going to bed.

I feel that Seroquel XR is working really well for me, but I don't think it would've done much at a dose below 300mg. In fact, I'm considering asking to go up to 400mg because lately I've been having some emotional outbursts.

Posted

I am in agreement with those that say 25mg will help you sleep, and sleep well, but as for controlling other symptoms, probably not. I have tried Seruquel twice and both times it knocked me on my butt, I mean I slept like the dead, which was the nice thing because I wasnt sleeping well at the times I tried it. The reason I cant take it is that it is too sedating even at a 25mg dose at night. I was in a total for the whole next day. Oh and I have tried the plain and the extended release, same thing both times.