Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lithium Blood Test?

10 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Greetings,

I have been told by a previous doctor that I don't have to fast when getting my Lithium level tested, just to wait 12 hours after my last dose before I get the blood drawn.

My new doctor, however, is telling me to fast. Is this necessary?

Thank you greatly.

troop

Posted · Report post

Even though I've been on Lithium for 3 years now, I don't know if you have to fast for Lithium levels. I hope someone who knows can chime in as I'd like to learn this too.

Posted · Report post

good question, I do know in the info my pNP gave me it says take your morning dose after the test or it will effect the results. Have no clue about the fasting.

Posted · Report post

No you don't have to fast when getting your lithium level checked. I've been getting my level checked every few months for the past 9 years and never had to fast.

However your doctor may be wanting to check your cholesterol or do other blood tests requiring you to fast AS WELL as doing your lithium blood level. That's the only reason I can think of!

Posted · Report post

ditto what rowntree77 said, no reason to fast for a lithium test, but my doc usually tests for other things as well at the same time, so it could be one of those things that you need to fast for.

Posted · Report post

You don't have to fast for the lithium blood test only, but oftentimes your pdoc will request other tests along with it that do require you to fast.

An important thing to remember is to take your blood test as close to 12 hours after your last dose to get an accurate "base" lithium blood level.

Posted · Report post

good info to know thanks everyone. I will have to aske my pNP about that tomorrow.

Posted · Report post

I've never had to fast, either. The one time I forgot to eat before getting the blood test done I almost passed out, but then again that's me. All in all, I don't think you would have to fast.

Posted · Report post

yes, you don't need to fast for JUST a lithium test

but my doctor always tests thyroid, glucose, cholesterol and other functions

so I always fast

Posted · Report post

I never fasted for a Lithium test.