CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
saoirse

What do you take for anxiety if antidepressants don't help?

Saoirse, I take Propranolol to counter akathisia caused by my Abilify (I also take 20mg) but the Propranolol also really helps me with anxiety. I have GAD and I've been anxious as long as I can remember, at least since age four. After taking the Propranolol, my body feels calmer, I feel less need to wring my hands or bite my lips and I feel my heart beat slow down to a steady beat instead of pounding out of my chest. I take 20mg of Propranolol. The only downside is that I can feel it wear off in a few hours, even though I take it three times a day. Also, it doesn't really help with the mental aspects of anxiety. But, at least with the physical aspects under control, it's easier to focus on deep breathing or something else.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

I've been on Vistaril for about 5 years now.  I don't know what I'd do without it.  It really does keep my anxiety under control.

I'm not sure what's going on with your whole post, but only the last two lines are relevant.

I have not found any thing that works as well as benzos for me. AD's do nothing for my anxiety and some of them make it worse. Buspar did nothing for me. Natural herbs alternatives did nothing.

For me, I emphesize FOR ME. What works best is xanax for my general anxiety. They act the fastest. The downside to that is they wear off the fastest too. So I suppose for some people, that can mean a quicker tolerance and dependency. Personally since I can go for weekw or months with no anxiety it does not present any concerns for me. I use to be on Klonopins. They take longer to act but last a lot longer then most benzos. I was on them as a preventative measure and it did work out good.

I understand your concern. But honestly, benzo's are pretty darn safe if you take them as prescribed and do not abuse them. If your on them for months at a time it is possible to build a dependency for them but it's a mental dependency. And pdocs can weed you off them safely too.

A friend of mine is on a permenant prescription for valiums. Of course he is hopelessly addicted to them and it would be hell for him to be weeded off. But he has been on them for years. Some times a doctor has to weigh out the risks verses the benefits and decide what to do. Worse case scenario for extreme cases, long term benzo's is the only thing for some people. Of course that's when every thig else has been tried. Most people are only given short term scripts to get them thru difficult periods.

I am on Klonopin for maintenance level of benzo in my system, xanax for breakthrough panic attacks, and now propranolol as well.

I'm not sure what's going on with your whole post, but only the last two lines are relevant.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

I'm not sure why its doing that.  It does it every time I make a post.

I am on Klonopin for maintenance level of benzo in my system, xanax for breakthrough panic attacks, and now propranolol as well.

yes, that is a nice combo for serious anxiety! I never had propranolol. What pisses me off is just because I can go weeks or months with no anxiety, pdocs feel I don't really need any thing. What they fail to understand is when I do get it, it is extremely serious. Thankfully my present pdoc gets it.

yes, that is a nice combo for serious anxiety! I never had propranolol. What pisses me off is just because I can go weeks or months with no anxiety, pdocs feel I don't really need any thing. What they fail to understand is when I do get it, it is extremely serious. Thankfully my present pdoc gets it.

I'm glad that your present pdoc understands the need for anti-anxiety meds, even if only on occasion.

Whatever you are using to post with (my guess is some sort of mobile device) isn't playing well with the software here, Will79.

Whatever you are using to post with (my guess is some sort of mobile device) isn't playing well with the software here, Will79.

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

I'm not on a phone, I'm on a computer.  Perhaps there is some kind of Moderator here that could address the issue?

It's not an issue on this end. You are the only one who is having this posting issue.

El Goog shows a few things it could be: Kapersky anti-virus, Safari web browser. There's also mention of the Android Keyboard but you said you aren't mobile.  Not sure if that helps but it's all I got.  

My previous medications either didn't help with my anxiety/depression or had too many side effects for me to continually take it. I've found Tianeptine/Stablon/Coaxil to actually prove beneficial without causing any of the side effects that would prove counterproductive to my work/life (drowsy, mood swings, depression). Tianeptine isn't a prescription drug here in the USA which makes it easier for me to get also. It is definitely worth looking into.

TBH I'm still struggling to control my PTSD and Anxiety Disorder NOS, but Propanolol has helped, been on Valium as needed for almost a year, sometimes go weeks w/o it and no withdrawal. If you're careful with benzos they can be helpful, but as mentioned they're intense for intense anxiety, panic attacks...for the every day all day anxiety...I don't know yet lol

I take Xanax, 0.5mg, twice a day, and sometimes 0.25mg PRN (usually sublingual) Xanax if I really need it.

I've never not been anxious. I was an anxious toddler, child, etc. I've thought about switching to klonopin, but decided if it works, stay with it.

Generally, benzos are used if SSRI's are not.

I've heard of beta blockers, some antihistamines, AAP's. Some TCA's can be pretty helpful.

CBT or DBT (therapy) is also useful. Anxiety is a bitch, but can be tamed.

That's been my experience too --if it ain't broke don't fix it, so I stick with my Xanax.  But mine isn't holding anymore so I'm considering other options including adding klonopin back in to the mix.

including adding klonopin back in to the mix.

This has helped me ... to have the klonopin in addition to the xanax.  The klonopin maintains the anxiety through the day (I take it regularly, not as needed), and then I have xanax for breakthrough anxiety during the day.

For me, the only thing that really works is lorazipam (Ativan). I go through around 30 1mg tablets in three months. Sometimes I have none for weeks on end. Sometimes, if I have something stressful happening I can take them every day for a week. I really find it hard to cut back after that week. Get grumpy and terse, and a bit light headed. I do my best to take it only for anxiety. I have been on the same dose for ~6 years, before that, clonazipam - but that started giving me an evil headache.

I don't notice any major side effects from a 1mg tablet. Gives me a bit more energy sometimes and defiantly makes me able to be relaxed and happier. At night it can make me a bit sleepy.

I would rather not take it. Just like I would rather not take olanzapine. I do however need to. (3 suicide attempts in my past, and crazy delusions if I go off olanzapine.... I have crossed over into different worlds without the psych meds. Most are not that pleasant).

Vistaril and Saphris help me with my Anxiety and Paranoia.  It seems to work, so I don't think I'll make any changes.

Propranolol works for anxiety (and helps with tremors and headaches).