Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

If you miss a dose, then take it the following day

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi to everybody out there who are on AP's.. Lets say you miss a dose, but you take it the next following day. How do you feel? Usually if I miss one dose and take it the next day I don't notice much of a difference. But I'm suspicious my thinking will change somewhat slightly because of it. Its got me worried a bit.

Posted

If it happens once in a while, I'm okay. If it happens several days in the same week- not so much.

What do you mean you're afraid your thinking will change because of it?

Posted

I can go 2 days at the most without any noticeable changes. The 3rd day and shit starts going sideways. I bought at alarm clock that is set specifically for my med times, so I don't forget.

Posted

Honestly, it depends on which med we're talking about. Some of them I notice pretty quickly. Others, it takes a week or more.

Posted

I notice more of a difference missing the Lamictal than I do the seroquel.

Posted

Well if I miss a dose my thinking is fine but by like the third missed one my thinking, feelings, emotions start effecting me negatively. Thats what I meant by 'I'm afraid my thinking will change'. I hope it didn't imply anything else. Now Seroquel when I was on it, I couldn't miss a dose because if I did, I'd know that same night by not being able to sleep. What works for me for sleep and its a good one is, 4 melatonin and 1 diphenhydramine sleep aid. I had my best consecutive restful nights sleep until last night, I drank just a large coffee in the morning and it altered my sleeping pattern. But anyway, I agree some meds you don't notice hardly anything if just one dose is missed but like you say, if its several then that may be something to be concerned about.

Posted

If I miss a dose of risperdal I feel a bit edgy the next day. However, after resuming it I feel normal within a few hours. I can take double the amount the next day if I miss a day but I try not to do this too often. It's best too keep the dose fairly constant for me. Sometimes spacing out my APs twice or three times daily is necessary. With risperdal I take a lower dose in the morning and a higher dose at night because it makes me sleepy and apathetic if I take too much during the daytime.

Posted

With the Seroquel - that impacts sleep because it can be a sedative. So, yes, missing a single night will hinder your ability to sleep.

That's different from the half-life time period (where afterwards you will experience withdrawal symptoms) - as well as the anti-psychotic properties that may take longer to wear off because it takes longer to produce the effect.

Half-life is very med specific and cannot really be generalized.

Mostly, my opinion would be that unless the half-life is rather short, missing one dose would not affect the ability for it to keep away psychosis so long as you take the next dose.

Posted

I generally can go three days (which I only do if im actively vomiting for that long) without feeling any effects from not taking my meds. If I happen to forget a dose, I do not take it in the morning, but just wait and take my next regularly scheduled dose.

Posted

I've gone a maximum of two days without taking a med (e.g. when I don't get refills in time), but each time it was only one single med at a time. Once I forgot to take a dose of Seroquel in the evening, so I took it the next morning. I can't actually remember anything about that day, except that I felt awful - groggy, completely out of it... I haven't forgotten to take a dose since then.

Posted

If I miss a dose of Seroquel I notice it for sure because I cannot sleep without it. With the Risperdal if I go more than about 3 days, I notice my psychotic symptoms coming back. I've always been affected by meds very quickly. Whenever I've switched to a new antipsychotic, I usually notice a significant reduction in my symptoms within a few days as opposed to the several weeks that it's supposed to take.

Posted

The point is that it is very individal how people will experience the effects of a medication, so it's impossible to tell from a straw poll how long it's safe to leave it until retaking your dose. I know this is just a hypothetical discussion on peoples experiences, but it's worth pointing out.

Posted

Yes, very individual because we don't all take the same AP's. And no two bodies are the same. I just wondered how people felt in general if they miss a dose, then the next day go back to their same regimen. I wondered if there was any noticeable fluctuation that a person could feel in their bodies due to just one missed dose.

Posted

Used to feel a bit 'strange' (was only on it for a few months) but now I can go two days without it and feel fine, although I can't sleep when I'm off it (either ran out or can't get down to fill it on the day).

Posted

It affects me pretty badly. When I dont take seroquel in time the positive symptoms start to return fast. When I didnt take risperidone my senses sharpened and i became very irritable. All this within 3-4 hours after not having taken meds.