CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
goldskittle

Any other adult cutters out there?

I've wondered if it would help if self-harm were better contextualized, too. It's a complicated issue, way more to it than just cutting. I could wish that, if it's going to be dumbed down into a thumbnail, instead of it being about the method, the public talk were more about the motivation, because I'm confident that almost everyone would understand it if we could put it to them in terms they found relatable. Not "I self-harm because of [insert reason]," but, "I sometimes do a thing that hurts me, because it meets a need that I don't know how to meet another way." I'm thinking that most people have had an experience where they needed something, or felt that they did, and did something to get that need met that they regretted later.

You bring up some good points. However for me the method is directly related to the need I am trying to meet (I do something different when I am angry than when I am anxious). But I agree, if we looked at it as trying to meet a need, and not 'this is how they hurt themselves' then maybe there would be more understanding. 

I can also relate to the frustration at resources being directed mainly towards girls/women. Being an adult who self injurers is hard enough without adding to that the further marginalization that comes from not being the 'typical' sufferer. 

First Like to say hi as i am new here.

I started cutting on and off abput 20+ years ago.

im now 42. i can go a longtime with out cutting then things build up and i go back to cutting.

i find it is the only way i can cope when things get to much and after a few days i look forward to it and enjoy it.

I started hitting myself in 6th grade to stay awake, cutting sometime in high school.

I stopped for a long time and then the ex happened.

It's addictive.  The more you use it the more it becomes the "go-to" coping skill.  If you're trying to work through stuff it generally shuts progress down. The threshold for what causes you to want to SI lowers over time, so that more minor stuff will have you injuring.

So just not a good thing.

I started scratching myself when I was 11 (enough to leave scars). And then began pulling my hair out senior year in high school. In college I cut and four years later I still deal with cutting. I haven't cut in a few months though. :)

i started cutting when i was 13 and now i'm 18 and still going, i don't know if 18 counts as an adult or still a teenager but i've had people tell me to stop because if i don't i'll never mentally grow up and that it's a childish way of dealing with things. so idk, but for whatever reason people tend to assume that only teenage girls cut themselves, it's weird. because that's definitely not the case

Hi, I'm new too.

I started self-harming when I was 13, although it was very minimal then. The worst years were between 14 and 18 as I felt at the time it was my only comfort and I did honestly find it therapeutic.

I had about a year of relatively no self-harming, but towards my final years at University I started it again due to stress...and a number of other things.

I'm now 23 and still indulge in self-harm probably more frequently than I should. Self-harm was my comfort for so long, that in times of trauma or distress it is naturally (for me) the first thing I turn to.

When I was a teenager I was branded 'emo' and 'goth', which was probably due to my fashion sense; however there was something a lot more sinister happening with me than a few cuts here and there. Whilst my friends were going to parties, having fun and living their lives, I was attending psychiatry sessions 2-3 times a week.

I'll always have my scars...they remind me of where I was, where I've come from, and where I am now. I try not to add to them, but I hope you would all understand the temptations sometimes?

I have several months of nothing, then something happens and I slip, then the whole thing starts again. I've accepted that self-harm is a strong addiction of mine but I'm getting there and trying alternatives at desperate times.

I think it's difficult being an adult and self-harming, for the reason of what some of you have said: self-harm seems to be associated with young girls...when in reality, a lot of adults self-harm and didn't start when they were a teenager.

Whilst self-harm may not be deemed as therapeutic, at the time when you're facing severe distress, it can be a helpful coping strategy...fast forward to the aftermath, I don't usually find it helpful then!

Sorry for my long post! :$

I started as a child, with hair pulling, enough to make it visible, and keeping accidental wounds from healing. I managed to stop the hair pulling but started to obsess on "imperfections" I found on my skin and hurt myself by trying to make them go away. Then I started exercising and playing music to the point of injury.. Now both my shoulders and elbows have permanent damage  :wall: . I started cutting when I was in college.

Today, at 27, I still keep wounds from healing, still over-indulge in painful activities like exercising, started cutting again.. At least I haven't pulled hair for years. Really don't want a bald patch haha. For me SI is a way to keep suicidal ideation at bay and because the pain feels real. It's like an anchor to this reality I usually try so hard to escape. I've never been able to accept this world we live in and disconnect a lot.

I'd love to be able to manage my abuse of everything that could be good if I could learn to moderate.. I eat until I get sick, I exercise until my body is a wreck.. I can't play music anymore because my arms are too injured... Really need a way to control those compulsions that make me do something until I hurt.

It does feel nice to have found a resources site that isn't focused on teenage girls.

• Like 1

I am 24 and never "cut" myself before or had a history of self-harm until today.

I am living in what I am sure is a pretty abusive relationship, was a teen mother to a child with a disability and another that is normal. I was raped last year and I've slowly withdrawn myself from everything I enjoy ever since. I speak with a therapist 1-2 times a month, he is a good listener but does not think I am depressed. I have seen many psychiatrists that have not been able to give a correct diagnosis. One misdiagnosed me as bi polar which cost me a good paying job three years ago and problems with child welfare who discriminated against me because of that diagnosis. I never understood why people cut before but now I do.

Today's trigger was that my partner went out and dumped me with the kids. A few weeks ago, I was working two jobs so I never went out. Partner makes $21 an hour but won't take initiative to find and pay for a sitter. He drank with a mutual female friend of ours who visited from out of town, pretty much from this afternoon. She invited him to go to some party and he went even though I begged him to say. Told him that I've been taking care of the kids all week while he worked and I'm not coping well. He left anyway, turned off his phone. I called a hotline for abused women so I can talk to someone and the person just interrupted, assumed things, wasn't good at listening. Wanted to call my father for help but just couldn't do it. Even the helpline I called, I hung up a few times before I actually got any words out. For the first time in ever, I wanted to leave. I felt strong enough to call and the other person just sounded annoyed that she even had to talk to me.

I do all the right things in life - I take care of my kids, save money, exercise, treat others well but I always seem to get the short end of the stick. I've attempted suicide when I was 18 after spending months inside 24/7 (think Stockholm syndrome) but am not suicidal now. I feel trapped and cutting has given me a release I haven't felt in a long time. I don't want to cut but I'm not really sure what to do now. I've talked, I've carried the burden for so long, it feels too heavy to carry now.

• Like 1

I started cutting around 13 stopped for several years and have recently started cutting again at the age of 27. I don't want anyone to know. I've been under a lot of stress and the man I love has decided he needs some time...What ever that means. I've never loved anyone like I do him and I feel dead inside or at times so overwhelmed with emotional pain I can't stand it. I know if he found out I was cutting again he would be very upset. I've noticed though that it's not doing for me what it used to do. It's taking a lot more to get the release. I don't know anyone who could possibly understand and everything I have found is all about teens and cutting. This is the first thing I have found that involves adults. I'm also a teacher so I'm around children of all ages whom I want to keep this from which is hard because I'm a dance instructor. I don't really know what I'm looking for I guess just knowing there are other adults out there that are self injuring helps.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board. Never been on anything like this before. Found this searching for anyone else that is an adult with DID (dissociative identity disorder) that also cuts/self harm. I'm 53 years old and was a cutter as a young child and off and on most of my life. It helps me ground myself or stop all the emotions when I get overwhelmed, or just can't feel anything at all. I am careful not to cut deeply, and try to not go overboard...doing it just until I feel something change/click. I'm battling many chronic mental and physical issues. Been having a really hard time coping with all the rapid cycling of my alters lately. Major anxiety and panic attacks too that ultimately trigger some of my worst alters to take over. Last week I came to my senses at the dr.'s office when I recognized my very concerned husband holding me and comforting me as the other patients in the waiting room ogled me. It was terrifying to say the least. I was so shaken that my med. that I usually take did nothing to calm me down. I know most cutters are young people...but just to let them understand that no matter how old a person gets they still are the same little boy or girl inside that they started out with. I believe we are all of the parts of ourselves that we went through growing up, and I'm not talking about alternate personalities...just know a lot about inner child work. I worked as a nurse back before I became too disabled both mentally and physically to leave my home. Yes I am also agoraphobic. I guess I could be on just about all the topic pages! But I want to know: does anyone else with DID get any real changes when they CUT? And what other ways do any of you have to switch from a fearful or childish alter to one that can be better in charge and one of the more normal alter personalities? I really want to hear back. I see most of the posts all over this site are at least a year old, so hopeful that someone is listening. Any comments welcomed. And thank you for reading this. 

• Like 1

I have never cut. I’ve never understood it....till now. I’m 32. And I have madly considered it so many many times. I don’t know how else to get all the rage and pain out of me.