Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
liamellie

When Botox doesn't work

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what happens if Botox treatments for migraines doesn't work? I've had migraines for five years now, and I've been through every class of drug, some more than once, and my neurologist decided to try Botox. My first treatment was on friday, and I know it's a little premature to be expecting relief and it's not a magic bullet, but what happens if this fails and I still have the same amount of pain that I had before? Does anyone know? Has anyone had Botox, had it fail, and if so, what did you do?

I have had Botox work kinda sorta. The first time, it seemed to get worse, but the neurologist asked me to try it one more time. That time, there was a noticeable improvement, but not enough to, say, go back to work part time, or be able to schedule things. I was going to go in a 3rd time, but the doctor's nurse was a jerk, so so much for that.

I was supposed to go in for a Di-hydroergotamine drip, which is basically they drip it into your arm for 5 days. It is supposed to break the cycle of the headaches. It seems to have worked in everyone who has tried it, but it doesn't always work for long. It seems like some people do it regularly, like every few months or so. While you are there, they are supposed to look for your paritcular pain points, and re-adjust the botox grid. So after you have the drip, you immediately get botox tailored to your head.

Then, I was supposed to be put on Namenda as prophylaxis. That is an alzheimer's drug that they are starting to use on headache patients.

My insurance is about to be thrown into upheaval, so I don't know what is going to happen. I think there is a good chance I will be unable to afford to get treated, which is making me cry right now. I was supposed to have it in September. I'll let people know what happens.

I've researched Namenda as prophylaxis. It got put on the back burner when my insurance finally came through on the botox. My neuro is skeptical about me going through the botox again unless it works really well, because of how freaked out I was with the needles. I seem to have a bad vasovagal reaction whenever I get injected with anything or blood drawn, and it's not something I can help, but it really freaked everyone out and made the procedure take twice as long.

I've been on drips that were supposed to break cycles before, Vimpat and Depakote, but they didn't work. Haven't heard of Ergots being used yet.

Something that's worked for me for pain is putting peppermint oil, or peppermint baking extract, topically on your head. It gets cold like an ice pack, and you can wear it around while you're doing stuff. Also what helps me is fighting. Strange yes, but fighting helps, martial arts fighting, not like I go picking fights. The busier I am, the easier it is to not focus on the pain. Easier said than done, but I've had years of practice now. And it was easier to do when I was allowed to take pain meds.

Thanks for telling me about the Namenda and the di-hydroergotamine drip. I'd nearly forgotten about the Namenda in all my freaking out about the Botox and what could happen next if it didn't work.

My insurance is about to be thrown into upheaval, so I don't know what is going to happen. I think there is a good chance I will be unable to afford to get treated, which is making me cry right now. I was supposed to have it in September. I'll let people know what happens.

Sorry, off topic. But crtclms, if I were you, I would get COBRA just long enough to pay for the treatments. I'm sure your hubby will get on COBRA, is there any way for you to get on it and then drop yourself only after a couple of months?

To the OP, I just had botox about two weeks ago. I've had four migraines since then, but all were cured with a single dose of fioricet, whereas before I would be taking six fioricet a day for multiple days and still needing to go to the urgent care for a morphine shot. I'm not saying that won't happen, I'm just telling you that botox has enabled my pain medications to get a better hold on my migraines and eliminate them faster with the minimum amount of medication.

Yay!

Gizmo, the problem is my mood isn't stable right now, so we have to stay on it long enough fro me to get stabilized. My pdoc said he would prescribe me med if we move while I look for another pdoc, but I don't think he would be willing to do it before then.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Does anyone have experience with preventive migraine treatments?
      By GothicWolf1
      I've had migraines since I was about 6 years old. When I was 12 I was prescribed sumatriptan and I feel like it's been a miracle drug for me. However, more recently I've had migraines more frequently (once or twice a week), and sometimes the sumatriptan isn't helping as much as it used too. I went to the ER once a few months ago because I had a migraine so bad I felt like I was actually going to die. I'm prescribed the highest possible dose (100mg). I'm thinking of opting for some sort of treatment that would reduce the frequency of my migraines. I know of some of them I wanted to know if anyone has personally tried preventive treatments, and how they worked and how effective they are.
    • Extreme Jaw Tension - Adderall
      By TooMad
      Hey guys,

Just joined CB, seems like like a community with some respectable feedback. So,hello.

Issue at hand: Around the clock jaw tension and headaches

Prescribed:
      2x15 mg IR Adderall 1x morning // 1x late-afternoon
      30 mg XR Adderall 1x with 15 mg IR in morn
      2 MG Clonazepam 
      1 MG Xanax
      Fioricet 

The pain in my jaw is located just below my lobes, closer to my temple than my rear neck, but still the jaw.

I clench, I crack, rub, warm cloths, but still solution that ends with relief. Went to my GP and was prescribed Fioricet but have not recognized any significant relief. The only relief is on heavy benz dosages.

I'm taking Magnesium supplements and my last option it seems is the mouthguard.
      Any suggestions? Experiences?
    • computer software for photosensitivity/photophobia
      By Sloane
      Source: https://justgetflux.com/

It claims it automatically adjusts your computer screen to the time of day according to your location (and it does). However after downloading it and playing with the settings, I found it has the ability for manual control so you can change it to warmer or cooler colors per your own eyes. 

Most of their research and links about light (and their entire sell point) are about sleep and circadian rhythms, but I posted it here because it has helped me with eye strain and phtotosensitvity/photophobia of the computer screen and my neurological craziness.

I am extremely photosensitive during my Migraines and my Seizures have a definite Photosensitive trigger; so I was very excited to find this. I am mostly hoping for not having to pry myself away from the computer at 2AM because my brain feels electrified while seeing spots, flashing colors, and zigzags -  just to lay in bed for 4 hours staring at pure blackness and nonexistent colors.

And also - it's free. So bonus.

I'd just thought I'd share my find (:

ETA If this topic needs to be moved, it won't bother me one bit. It's a link about software - specifically sold for sleep/circadian rhythm - successfully used by the poster for Temporal Lobe Weirdness (which apparently is not an actual board topic LOL) - posted in the Migraine Board. 
    • Rant Regarding Healthcare and Mental Illness
      By Inanlae
      A month ago, I began to have symptoms of lithium toxicity after eight years of relative stability.  In the subsequent batch of bloodwork, my TSH was found to be too high, suggesting a dx of hypothyroidism, for which I was promptly prescribed Synthroid.  My start-up side effects on Synthroid were dramatic, taking me to a manic state, with insomnia, and severe appetite suppression (lost 10 pounds in 1 week), and yielding an ecstatic plan to save the world in a series of disjointed, delusional essays.  I saw my GP as I had developed a goiter, which likely resulted from the overtaxation of my thyroid.  It was also discovered at that time, and confirmed with an EKG, that my heart rate was too low (which perhaps explains the unproductive fog I'd been in at work all week).  My GP deemed my migraine prevention medication, a beta-blocker called Nadolol, the cause and promptly discontinued my use, which took me to a lovely place of at least one migraine a day after a relatively pain-free year.  She didn't increase my Imitrex to compensate, so pain.  Without proper migraine treatment, I find myself relying on over-the-counter pain medications in amounts far exceeding recommended doses, so that I can have just enough relief to fulfill a shadow of my resopnsibilities.  She re-ordered a lithium level, as apparently it is known to interact with Synthroid.  The critically high result came in later that Friday evening, though no one actually contacted me about it until after the weekend.  Thankfully, my local laboratory allows me to see my results online, so I took myself off of the lithium, as otherwise the toxicity would have only continued to increase.  The lithium had also affected my kidney function, depressing my glomerular filtration rate (GFR) to stage three chronic kidney disease levels.  My psychiatrist told me I could not resume my lithium until my kidney function returned to normal, which fortunately it has.  (She believes the thyroid damage is permanent, which isn't terribly worrying as Synthroid seems to be a rather effective replacement.)  An ultrasound of the thyroid was inconclusive.  A radiologist astutely confirmed that the gland was enlarged, which is also visible with the naked eye, that blood flow to the region was increased, which is slightly worrying as it suggests to me the possibility of increased cellular mass, and also said the result was consonant with Graves' disease, which doesn't make sense as Graves is essentially hyperthyroidism and a TSH of over 85 is most definiately indicates hypothyroidism.  Some MA or other clinical support person called to say that they were in receipt of my ultrasound result but gave no indication as to what the result actually was, and I had to go to the hospital medical records department to obtain the result, as their online results system didn't seem to be working properly.  It is not clear what my psychiatrist intended me to do without any mood stabilization medication.  Of course I went into a deep depression.  I missed several days of work.  I used an antidepressant in the safety-net sort of way I've long used it, an off-label method which I will not propagate here, but which I credit with saving my life many times.  Unfortunatley, it has a rather ugly rebound which doesn't aid overall stability.  My psychiatrist had sent in standing orders for labwork, which apparently I can avail myself of at will.  So once I'd obtained results that my renal function had returned to normal--textbook normal, which is excellent as there doesn't seem to be any lasting kidney damage, I restarted myself on lithium at the lowest possible dose.  After several days on that dose, I had myself retested, and as kidney function remained normal, I have gone to the second lowest possible dose and will retest before my doctor's appointment next week.  Meanwhile, I have heard from neither my GP's nor my psychiatrist's offices regarding either lab results or treatment plans. ("How's your mood been with the lithium withdrawal?  Let's talk about how we're going to deal with your bipolar symptoms while you're not on your mood stabilizer."  "We realize that in taking your migraine prevention medication away, you're probably going to experience a rebound in migraines.  Let's talk about a healthy way to manage that pain."  "Way to go!  Your kidney function is normal.  You can now resume lithium at dosage x.")  

What am I paying them for?!  What do patients do who aren't able to what I'm doing?  It does not seem an extravagant expectation that they should be able to manage care in the areas for which they have been trained.  And what, exactly, has that training prepared them for?  Lobbing anti-psychotics and mood stabilizers like grenades at our symptoms until something hits the mark, but in rapid fire succession, so that start-up and withdrawal effects overlap, and resulting changes in symptoms are overdetermined, and thus it isn't entirely clear whether a positive result is brought about by medication A, medication B, or some interaction of the two.  I lost a job during a period of such medieval science.  To them we may just be charts, problems to be solved, but whether I am stable determines whether I can continue my education this Fall, whether I will be able to keep the job which provides my healthcare and funds my education.  

My goal, above all else, with my mental illness treatment, is to regain the highest level of function possible, so that my life can be more than suicide defense and a perpetual need for pharmaceutical smoke and mirrors to mask my symptoms, not just in public, but around those most near and dear as well.  I want to use my experience of pain and powerlessness to ameliorate and eliminate suffering in others.  But to do this, I need my brain.  I find it rather absurd that I should be expected to repair my own diseased organ with that same diseased organ, but so it seems.
    • Does Anyone Take SSRIs with Triptans?
      By vacillate_wildly
      Sorry so long. I'm just really frustrated here

So, I have migraines and I've been prescribed Imitrex for about a year and a half now. I am also on Prozac. I don't think I was on Prozac at the time I was originally prescribed the Imitrex. I've been on Prozac in the past, though it was before I was ever really diagnosed with migraines. So, I'm Bipolar-I and I've been having a really hard time coming out of a recent depressive episode. I told my pdoc that Prozac has helped me before, and while she was originally hesitant, she finally gave me some, first 10mg and now up to 20mg.

The other day, the pharmacist asked me if I was taking the Imitrex and the Prozac and I said yes and he told me not to, that it can cause seizures and serotonin syndrome. Well, I am shocked and dismayed. I had no idea, and I've been taking them both. I looked it up, and sure enough, Triptans (such as Imitrex) act on serotonin in the brain, so taking SSRIs with them can basically poison you with serotonin. I'm already on anticonvulsants (Lamictal and Trileptal), for my Bipolar that I are also sometimes used for prevention of migraines. I have a little less migraines, but I still get them. 
      So, I need to call my neurologist and see if there's anything else that can help me.

Has anyone here actually taken Triptans with SSRis, or am I really basically shit out of luck on this one? I certainly don't want to get serotonin syndrome. But I tried looking up what else can help me with my migraines and I didn't find too much, aside from something called Midrin. I also saw that beta blockers or calcium channel blockers "might" be preventative. I often take store brand Aleve to try and help my migraines before they get worse, but it doesn't usually do anything. And I don't thing plain old pain killers are going to help me with my nausea and cognitively impaired feeling. The fuzzy feeling I get is very bothersome, especially while I'm at work. Imitrex clears it right up usually, and I become functional again.

Also, has anyone per chance had any luck with any other migraines medications that don't act on serotonin? I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Don't know if I should get rid of the Prozac and ask for Wellbutrin instead. All I know is I need both an anti depressant and something to abortively treat my migraines, as I'm already on things that slightly prevent them.

Again, sorry this was so long.