Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indianamom

Upping my Ativan for the dentist in 2 hours?

3 posts in this topic

OK, so I take 2-3 mg of Ativan/day for my GAD and that makes me feel normal and not nervous and fine.

I will take 1mg in the AM and 1mg in the afternoon and then sometimes in the evening if I'm doing something that raises my anxiety.

2 weeks ago I took 2 in the AM before going to the dentist to get a filling. I've never had a filling and hate people's hands in my mouth. I also hate when things are put to sleep or numb. So as soon as the numbing shit got to my throat and I couldnt feel my throat I felt like I was going to throw up. It's so frustrating because I'm really not afraid of the dentist, I'm afraid of having anxiety and that's what causes my anxiety.

OKAY, so I rescheduled after they could tell I was in no shape to go through with it.

I'm going back today at 4:15 (roughly 2 hours from now). They are giving me nitrous oxide this time and I (of course) am going to take my Ativan. This leads to my question.

Question: How much Ativan can you take at one time?

I have taken 4mg before, but that's throughout the day. The most I've taken at once is 2mg. I'm wondering if I should take 1mg now (at 2pm) and then 2mg later (half hour before procedure).

Thoughts anyone? I know that 4mg won't kill me, but is taking 3mg within 2 hours or less bad?

TY so much.

Kathryn

I take a little extra xanax before the dentist

just be careful and have someone drive you

don't drive on an increased dose

I take 1 mg of Ativan for smaller upsets and 2 mg for major issues. For example 1mg for a minor car wreck, a fender bender with no one hurt. 2 mgs for a major wreck, car(s) totaled, people hurt. However, I really just go with my feelings and how agitated I am to gage how much Ativan is needed. On rare occasions I have taken 3 mg at once. Like after a seizure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By theforest
      Hi all, finally jumping in here. BP2, anxiety, PTSD, and mild OCD. 200 Lamictal, 10 Lexapro, Xanax and Ambien as needed.
      I embrace the word crazy. I work full time, but I'm not "out" at work. I can usually disguise the hypomania as productivity. I like to think of it as "using my powers for good." Haha. Until I am so hypomanic that I just glue myself to my computer and don't talk to anyone because I sound too crazy.
      My sister and my husband know but aside from them and my medical professionals that's pretty much it. Sometimes that makes me lonely.
      Just coming down off a hypomanic episode. That's what inspired me to finally join and speak. 

• By whatever?
      Hi all 
      I'm new here. I've dealt with OCD and Severe Panic Attacks for over 35 years. Been thru everything. For the last 10 years I have sailed thru life taking my meds and doing a little cognitive therapy on my own daily. About a year ago I started to lose control again and I can't snap out of it. Has anyone had their meds increased as they went thru menopause ? My other meds for like thyroid issues have increased but I have been on the same meds and dosages since 2000 17 years ago. I hate taking meds and feeling weak but the anxiety is debilitating and I just can't function. Any help is greatly appreciated CK

• By TearfulSolace
      So I leave for California in 8 days, 5 hours, 43 minutes. This is my first flight. First time to Cali. First time meeting my husbands family. First real vacation. 
      I haven't packed yet because I'm so nervous I'm gonna pack something I need like tomorrow? But then I'm nervous because I might forget to pack solmething important because I'm waiting. 
      I also just started a new med and I'm worried about potential side effects away from home. I'm kinda worried about flying. The rental car. What if the hotel lost our reservation? (I worked at a hotel and it happens...) 
      I dont know how someone without anxiety can do this let alone people like us. I can't focus on work. I'm kinda shaking.... Ugh!
    • By DogCuddler77
      -Seeking friends who don't look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I just had a panic attack- 
      Hello there! This is my first blog on here. So here I go, I'm depressed. 
      I started taking antidepressants about two years ago after getting a brain injury from multiple concussions in soccer. Meds combined with therapy have truly saved me, I have been taking Fetzima for depression but now have to switch meds because Fetzima is draining my bank account to refill each month and I am balling on a budget. I also use comedy/jokes to diffuse my anxiety and depression; I hope you enjoy my witty banter. It in no way means I take these topics lightly, it's just part of my charm. 
      I started Pristiq about two weeks ago, the first week I felt very content and happy and truly felt like myself. I am on a low dose because I am very sensitive to medication, and I take it at night because it helps me fall asleep. I am on day 9 or 10 now and am starting to feel a HUGE increase in depression and constant anxiety and even had a panic attack at work yesterday during a meeting. I understand symptoms may get worse before they get better, but does anyone have any feedback on how long the worst of it may last? Started a new job two months ago and really don't want my life to start unfolding. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!! 

• By Princess Buttercup
      Hi Everyone,
      I'm a returning member, joined years ago to chat about anxiety and other stuff. Now I have returned with more diagnoses! Yay! See that's me. I tend to diffuse tense situations with humor. I'm one of those depressed comedians. Well, not really. I'm actually a middle school teacher, and having a good sense of humor is essential for that kind of job. However, I'm only smiling on the outside. Inside I'm dealing with constant crippling self-doubt and depression.
      I'm not working at the moment. I had an acute stress reaction about a year and a half ago, was given some anti-anxiety pills, and told to take it easy. I didn't receive any other treatment, no CBT or any other kind of therapy. After a while, I started to feel better and decided I was ready to go back to work. However, after only a few weeks, the symptoms started coming back. I really liked my new job, so I decided to push through them and keep on working. Sure enough, a few months later I had to stop working again. I haven't worked for three months. At this point it's very unlikely that I will return to teaching. I just can't handle the stress since my earlier breakdown. I've dealt with anxiety my entire life so the fact that I worked as a teacher for 16 years is saying something.
      I've been off work since the end of January and have been waiting for an CBT appointment since then. Recently the lack of attention and treatment has pushed me into a spiral of depression. I'm one of those people who absolutely needs structure and routine in their life. I need to always be doing something or helping others. Idleness makes me feel worthless. So the stress and anxiety caused by work is made worse because of guilt of not being able to work. I talked to my doctor last week and he was appalled that I was still waiting for an appointment. I was feeling really, really low. I hadn't been sleeping, kept awake by my anxious brain which would not stop yelling at me, wondering whether drinking an entire bottle of NyQuil would put me to sleep forever, or maybe if I mixed it with some strong pain killers? Anyway, he asked me to come in right away to discuss medication for depression. Right now I'm taking only hydroxyzine for anxiety and lamotrigine for epilepsy.
      After talking to the doctor, we decided that I didn't seem depressed enough to need stronger meds. I was laughing, cracking jokes, and pretty much being myself during the appointment. I find my situation to be absurd and that's why I can laugh at it. Anyway, I live in Sweden. where doctors are very reticent to prescribe any kind of addictive medication. He mentioned one non-habit forming drug that could actually increase my anxiety for the first few weeks or months I was taking it. He didn't tell me what it was, but I didn't like the sound of that at all. We agreed that what I really need is therapy. He gave me some paperwork to fill out, to check my depression level, and I came up as "moderately" depressed. I guess that means I'm not a danger to myself or others but I'm impaired enough to not be able to work.
      Of course I haven't met with the psychiatrist yet, so he or she might have a second opinion about whether I need medication. I'm worried about it, naturally, because that's also me. Worried about everything all the time. What if they say I need medication and then it messes with my brain so much that I lose myself? I'm an artist. What if I lose my creativity? What if I lose my sex drive? What if my marriage breaks down? My mind goes to the worse case scenario immediately.
      Anyway, I'm not sure what kind of advice I'm asking for. I'm dealing with a lot of issues. It's just nice to be able to write this stuff down.