Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indianamom

Upping my Ativan for the dentist in 2 hours?

3 posts in this topic

OK, so I take 2-3 mg of Ativan/day for my GAD and that makes me feel normal and not nervous and fine.

I will take 1mg in the AM and 1mg in the afternoon and then sometimes in the evening if I'm doing something that raises my anxiety.

2 weeks ago I took 2 in the AM before going to the dentist to get a filling. I've never had a filling and hate people's hands in my mouth. I also hate when things are put to sleep or numb. So as soon as the numbing shit got to my throat and I couldnt feel my throat I felt like I was going to throw up. It's so frustrating because I'm really not afraid of the dentist, I'm afraid of having anxiety and that's what causes my anxiety.

OKAY, so I rescheduled after they could tell I was in no shape to go through with it.

I'm going back today at 4:15 (roughly 2 hours from now). They are giving me nitrous oxide this time and I (of course) am going to take my Ativan. This leads to my question.

Question: How much Ativan can you take at one time?

I have taken 4mg before, but that's throughout the day. The most I've taken at once is 2mg. I'm wondering if I should take 1mg now (at 2pm) and then 2mg later (half hour before procedure).

Thoughts anyone? I know that 4mg won't kill me, but is taking 3mg within 2 hours or less bad?

TY so much.

Kathryn

I take a little extra xanax before the dentist

just be careful and have someone drive you

don't drive on an increased dose

I take 1 mg of Ativan for smaller upsets and 2 mg for major issues. For example 1mg for a minor car wreck, a fender bender with no one hurt. 2 mgs for a major wreck, car(s) totaled, people hurt. However, I really just go with my feelings and how agitated I am to gage how much Ativan is needed. On rare occasions I have taken 3 mg at once. Like after a seizure.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome???
      By rowan77
      OK. I am frustrated. I have been vomiting on average 3-4 times a month over the past year. Before that I would vomit a few times in a month but there could be a gap of 2 or 3 months between vomiting episodes and now there is no gap. It is consistent, every week or 2. Went to GP who told me to to keep a food and activity diary.
      She cannot see a pattern and now thinks I have Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome. have had problems with my stomach in past, peptic ulcers, gastritis, duodenitis, oesphaghitis, hiatus hernia which are all either treated or well controlled with omeprazole. I had an upper GI endoscopy 2 years which just showed a lot of inflammation.She says my symptoms do not point towards any of these problems recurring as it was burning pain and indigestion that I had then. 
      Anyway she has referred me to a gastroenterologist but I probably won't get an a appointment for several months due to our health care system.
      Has anybody been diagnosed with this? Or even aware of it?
      I am SO sick of all this (pardon the pun ūüėČ) I am thinking that she should just send me for another endoscopy at least, just to rule out stuff. Although I know if there was anything sinister going on I would know about it by now.
      She thinks this is stress related.
      I wonder if I didn't have a mental illness would she be so quick to suggest my nausea and vomiting is stress related......sigh....
      Quite honestly there have been times when I was was under severe and prolonged stress and I didn't vomit. And yesterday was a great day. My brother was home and we had a lot of fun catching up and I played word games with my mum as she wasn't working. We all had a lovely dinner together. I was happy and relaxed, went to bed at about 9pm and was enjoying a movie when suddenly I was hit with the all too familiar nausea, followed by vomiting.
      Doesn't add up.
      Would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this or can shed some light on the whole thing or just has ideas about what I should do.
      Thanks so much in advance!!!
    • Nervous about family trip
      By stripedsocks209
      My boyfriend and I have decided on taking our first family trip, stepping way out of our comfort zone, with our 2 year old daughter. 
      We decided to stay one night in a hotel, and sight see through out the day and on day 2 go tent camping over night at a state park, and hike and explore. 
      I suffer from anxiety really bad, and I'm so nervous my daughter isn't going to enjoy any of this, and she will be throwing tantrums and making the trip kind of unbearable the entire time. I get so nervous even going into stores with her, because I feel like people are staring at us and when she begins to get rowdy or starts to make a scene then I really start feeling very panicked. I have thought about letting her stay the weekend with her grandparents, but I would just be worried she wasn't with us the entire time.
      I mean, she does good in the outdoors, she likes to explore, run around, play in the dirt, anything outdoors is okay. When it comes to being indoors like stores, malls, restaurants, that's when she throws tantrums and she can't sit still and really gets stubborn.
      Any advice on what I could do, just to calm my nerves a little bit or what have others done in the past while going on family trips with toddlers would be appreciated. 

• Anyone so concerned about what others think that...
      By MrBipolar
      I don't know if anyone else experiences this particular worry but when I'm driving I won't use my windshield wipers unless I see other people using theirs.  It's like I'm embarrassed and feel out of place if I don't act exactly the way they do, even though I know that no one is even paying attention to me anyway.  I have many quirky things I worry about but this one struck my wife as particularly odd.
    • How do you break through the paralizing thought processes that prevent basic hygene/cleanliness?
      By MrBipolar
      I've had a difficulty for some time getting some of my basic needs met, in particular the need to have good hygiene, dental and otherwise.  Anything that takes that little bit of motivation to act.  I find myself paralyzed in thought while contemplating these activities and spent more time agonizing over them than it would take to do them outright. 
      I'm also starting to have this anxiety surrounding getting my meds filled and have been waiting until the last moment, and in one case recently letting the prescription lapse and needing to get it refilled after a couple days of not taking it.  I also have a lot of anxiety about giving myself my weekly hormone shot and so have been missing doses which when it goes on long enough it leads to more depression. 
      I've been trying to get better.  I'm now up to about three showers a week and I brush my teeth about twice a week.  I manage to take all my medications but just stress when it comes to having them filled.  I've also been better about wearing clean clothes, of course it helped when I got rid of some of the more unwearable clothes and bought some new(ish) clothes to replace them.
      My question really is if anyone has advice on how to break through the anxiety and paralyzing thought process to get these things done on a regular basis. (and this isn't counting the disaster that is my house)