Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How long did it take for your Risperdal to start working?

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

About three days ago I was placed on 1mg of Risperdal for severe racing thoughts and mild paranoia and anxiety. So far after 2 nights of taking it I don't feel much better except it kind of acts like a good sleeping pill.

The pdoc mentioned that 3mg is what the average dose his patients take. He said I might have to go a little bit higher on the risperdal if 1mg doesn't relieve it well enough.

When did your risperdal start to calm you down...and at what dosage did it take to do this? any kind of anecdotal input would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

When I took risperdal, 1mg was my final dosage. It worked very well for my aggression and I snapped less at people. I also heard less voices, but they werent totally gone. I still had visual hallucinations and paranoia. I quit the med because it killed my libido, and my pdoc didn't see any use in increasing it because it would worsen the sexual side effect, Im 20 so it is a pretty big deal to me,

Posted · Report post

I'm on 6mg of Risperdal, for me it took several weeks before I was able to notice any effect. Most anti-psychotics do take several weeks to start working so if you've only been on it a few days you might want to give it some more time.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks ppl.

I am 30 so sexual side effects are still a major concern to me too :) . I currently am experiencing no side effects of any kind. It's a seemingly benign med to me. g8orgirl...It really took you weeks to feel the full effect of risperdal? Personally with my past experiences with zyprexa and seroquel, both of those meds pretty much kicked in fully within 5 days, perhaps even less with the zyprexa.

Anyways...I took it again tonight and it did it's thing but the sleeping effect seems to have worn off, or else I would not be typing this.(Is it me or is it actually starting to give me energy?).Every other AP I have tried has knocked me out to the point of it being impossible to stay awake I am starting to feel more relaxed though. It seems as if I have been getting more done in the past couple days.

I was going to take some trazodone tonight to help sleep, but honestly I would like to feel what this med is doing to me all by itself. ...A night of sleep lost is worth some dead air space in my head :)

Edited by Revan

Posted · Report post

I dont know why it isnt working for you, maybe you should compare the dosage equivalence to your past meds. Risperidone should start working at day 1 to a small extent, but for me a significant effect was had by 3.5 weeks.

Posted · Report post

I dont know why it isnt working for you, maybe you should compare the dosage equivalence to your past meds. Risperidone should start working at day 1 to a small extent, but for me a significant effect was had by 3.5 weeks.

It did work the first night. It made me tired and fall asleep but that's about it.(gave me some cool dreams BTW) I worked, as in... it did SOMETHING. However it working for what I need to still needs some work (racing thoughts).

Posted · Report post

PS. Zyprexa worked very well at 10mg and seroquel XR 200mg was the dose that worked.

Now that you mention it perhaps somebody could chime in on the dosage equivalents of 1mg risperdal to 200mg Seroquel and 10mg zyprexa.

Posted · Report post

Everyone is different. You don't know that it *isn't* working for him. Not everyone responds to risperidone exactly the way you do. Three days, and you are ready to say it isn't working?

And by the way, folks: Libido is important even when you aren't under 40. It is probably unintentional, but it kind of sounds like you are saying libido and sexual relations are most important for younger people, and that if one is older, who cares if a med kills libido?

Newsflash: People of all ages enjoy sex.

Posted · Report post

And by the way, folks: Libido is important even when you aren't under 40. It is probably unintentional, but it kind of sounds like you are saying libido and sexual relations are most important for younger people, and that if one is older, who cares if a med kills libido?

IK,you don't stop caring about sex as you get older... sorry for being a fuddy duddy about that. I just really dislike that SE.

Posted · Report post

I was prescribed it while I was IP, to augment trazodone, and I felt calmer and less agitated and slept better within a few days. Took a few weeks for it to have any effect on my mood, but from I'm read it's fairly common for psych meds to affect things like appetite, sleep and movement issues before they head for your actual MI. So I wouldn't be too discouraged about not noticing much of a difference - you likely just haven't been on it long enough. Give it time.

Posted · Report post

Everyone is different. You don't know that it *isn't* working for him. Not everyone responds to risperidone exactly the way you do. Three days, and you are ready to say it isn't working?

Haha crtclms I am not an ageist, I know a lot of older couples who get it on when the lights come off. ;)

Sorry if I made you feel like a sexless hag. :(

Posted · Report post

It took me a couple of weeks to feel full mood stabilizing effects of it, but when I jumped from 3 mg to 6 mg when I started having visual hallucinations (anyone want to hear my story about a life-sized cartoon character running across my back yard?) it stopped the hallucinations in a few days.