Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loveyouhateyou

Latuda Experiences

14 posts in this topic

After trying Invega, Geodon and Abilify with terrible results, my doc put me on Latuda. I'm on day one and the only side effect is my jaw is tight and I was a little anxious(socially) earlier today. This is a huge difference as far as the previous meds as the nasty side effects were immediate and didn't subside even after a few weeks.

Can you tell me your experiences as far as weight gain...sexual side effects...drowsiness...flat affect?

Thanks so much!

I only noticed some nausea and drowsiness but it goes away after a couple weeks

I stopped abilify and started latuda about 3 months ago. My anxiety completely evaporated in a day or two. However i had horrible vivid dreams. They are no longer crazy and horrible but still very vivid. I also had restless legs and didnt sleep more then a few hours a night for a couple of weeks but that has gone away completely.

I had some nausea too when i first started but i took it at bed time so usually i could fall asleep before that kicked in. I actually lost a little weight since starting it.

Reading this now it seems like a lot of side effects but the benefit far outweighed the cost. And like i said they all subsided realtivly quick.

Good luck.

Thank you! Those are side effects that are doable especially if they're temporary.

I agree the benefits outweigh the costs. I came home with a smile on my face today so that was nice lol. Abilify took my personality away!

I took Latuda for quite awhile and the only thing I noticed for most of it was a little trouble swallowing. Not like choking, but I had to take a drink every few bites. It wasn't really noticeable, not really a big deal. Unfortunately it also gave me neuropathy which is extremely rare, so I wouldn't worry about that.

I've been on it for 7 and a half months now. Same as the others, I got drowsy an hour after taking it, but that went away eventually, and in the first month I was very nauseous and I almost quit, but it went away too. I did not get a flat affect, whereas I did with the other 5 antipsychotics I have tried. I finally went back to college, and my job requires me to think a lot, and I'm fine...also have my same interests. No sexual side effects. It technically didn't boost my sex drive, but after getting on Latuda it improved because I wasn't psychotic and depressed anymore. Best antipsychotic I've ever taken.

Thank you so much!

I'm on day two and did really well when I took it last night. A little nauseous and sleepy but that only lasted about an hour. I slept well and woke up well.

Right now, I am so excited to have potentially found the one lol. It's been a rough ride the last few months. I feel like I wasn't myself.

How is the Latuda now? Lately I've been worried I got placebos (obviously isn't true but the thought has crossed my mind) because I feel fine but also haven't had any side effects from it lately. Hopefully that means I have grown into the med lol.

I've not really had any side effects.

I still have some irritability and intrusive thoughts so maybe I just need to increase the dose.

I go back to the doc in over a week so I'll see about raising it then.

The lack of side effects made me wonder also lol.

That's good to hear, but really, it's weird how much food affects it. Except for Geodon I don't think I've ever taken another med that required it. I suppose if we feel better it's working. And actually, think how depressing it is that it's "weird" that it doesn't have side effects. I mean, we've all gotten used to side effects coming along with meds, unfortunately. But as technology increases, medications will get better I hope? Hopefully an increase will work for you; I really love this med.

I'm liking it too so far as well. I've been taking 80 mg for two weeks.

On latuda I had really bad restless legs and some mouth movements. It made me tired about an hour after taking it. I would wake up in the middle of the night but could fall back asleep just fine. I would sometimes have anxiety attacks and psychosis not sure if the anxiety caused the psychosis or vice versa. I would sometimes go 2 weeks at a time without hearing voices followed by 2 weeks where I did hear voices. Latuda was a mixed bag for me.

I've noticed some breakthrough intrusive thoughts this week. I'm wondering if I need to go up to 80mg and see how that goes.

Other than the intrusive thoughts and a little irratibility, I've not had many side effects. Well, I've noticed a little less drive to do things but I may need to boost my wellbutrin because I've been on the same dose for 2 years which as some of you may know, it loses effect.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By tcast5000
      Hi, im new here. I have my intake appointment tomorrow and I have been researching medications.  I just wanted some people's experience on taking Geodon. Im currently in a hypomanic state right now. Losing sleep as the summer drags on, having incredibly creative ideas but so distracted by such small things that I can't seem to do anything. Still social, I still get out, but can't handle excess stimulation. I was previously on Lithium 900mg and Abilify 30mg. This combination helped with my manic episodes but I would still have trouble sleeping, despite taking this combination of medication for several years. I was foolish enough to stop the medication though and have been off of it the past 9 months. I guess Im having a hard time accepting the fact that I may need to be on medication the rest of my life. I was wondering though, does anyone have any experience of Geodon? What do you like? What don't you like? Common side effects? Combining it with Lithium? Does Geodon help you sleep? Lack of sleep has always been my main trigger. Thank you.
    • By dancingphantom
      I used to be Ativan for my spikes in anxiety, paranoid actions/thoughts, and well generally to calm whatever was going on during an episode. It worked like a charm. Now my doctor has pulled his willingness to prescribe it to me again. I am also a recovering drug addict, so I understand why he has done this. However, now I have no means, except my coping toolbox, to combat the acute symptoms that drive me to unhealthy behaviors. My other meds include: Abilify and Prazosin. 
      So, my question is this; Is there another med that others are taking for Schizoaffective that works like Ativan that I can request information from my doc?
    • By inthepines
      Hi,
      I am on lithium 1125mg/day & Abilify 7.5mg-15mg (with doc's approval that it varies between that amount) for bipolar. I am wanting to get off Abilify because it has been causing me mild resting head tremors, unpleasant and intolerable. However whenever I come down too low I predictably experience despondent mood and feel paralysed due to low mood. I've been down to 7.5mg for last five weeks and this has successfully flushed most of it out of my system and reduced side effects to tolerable levels however I decided to increase to 15mg last night due to the return of acute depressive symptoms. This made tremor return by today.  
      My psych is not forthcoming with any other options, I have lobbied for alternatives (there must be some!) for the past year.... nothing just "stick to your meds regime".
      I need to substitute Abilify with something which won't cause shaking and I'm thinking about Seroquel (because I've been on it before) although hesitant due to weight gain. Still... rather be eating more and than have tremors if I had to chose :/. 
      Are these (Abilify and quetiapine) in the same class of anti-psychotics? It is feasible seroquel/quetiapine could have the similar beneficial impacts on my depression? What about off label anti-convulsants like Lyrica? I've tried Lamictal before but it made me "too happy" and I ended up in hospital so wondering if other anti-convulsants would be risky. Any suggestions?
      I'm seeing the doctor in August (earliest appointment). As the shaking is coming back I will stick to the lowest dose he prescribed (7.5mg) to avoid tremors and supplement it with 25mg seroquel (which I still have a supply of from when it used to be a PRN so it is prescribed) hoping my mood will improve. I can't wait for pdoc to see me to begin to try this combo as he's away for three weeks, first appointment I could make with him is scheduled for beginning August... and another doc I want to see for a second opinion is apparently booked up for two months... my GP could be a third option for a sooner consult. To be clear this has been an ongoing issue which has been ignored by doctors as it is not noticeable to them however is clearly noticeable to me and those close to me... things have come to a head because it is getting harder to control by reducing the Abilify.
      Summary:
      Abilify too high = tremors (intolerable side effects)
      Abilify too low = depression (need something to supplement lithium)
      I suffer from bipolar I. I have had a series of hospitalisations for mania, mixed moods, psychosis over past 11-5 years with no hospitalisations in the last 4.5 years, I have experienced an "episode" (pronounced drop or elevation in mood symptoms) maybe about once every six months over the past 5 years.
      Thanks for any help, it helps just to talk about this stuff and know some people are listening who have experienced similar things.
    • By cryinginmoscow
      Hello everyone,
      My psychiatrist has prescribed a low dose of Abilify 2-3 mg, unfortunately Abilify's lowest available dose in pill form is 5mg so i have to use a pill cutter which is frustrating!!! My psychiatrist did prescribe the oral solution, however my GP refused to give me a script for the oral solution because the price was slightly higher, but I will see my GP again about this and persuade him to switch me to the oral solution. In the meantime I am using a pill cutter so I am taking 2.5mg.
      I have had a blood test today BEFORE starting Abilify and I will have the same blood test again in 2 weeks time to see if there are any changes, particularly looking at blood glucose and cholesterol levels
      I will measure my blood pressure and compare it to before starting Abilify
      I will weigh myself daily to see if there is a weight increase and I will notify you of any changes in appetite 
      I will be updating this thread 
      13:34 10/06/2016
      I can't give you an accurate description. Feeling more energetic, awake and upbeat but this is probably placebo effect and there is mediating factors (I received good news a few days ago)
      12:07 11/06/2016
      quiet nauseous, feeling slightly hot, for example feel hot but if someone else touched my head or cheeks they wouldn't feel it? so it's like inner heat? Reminding you I'm also on Vyvanse and Cymbalta. Hasn't really made me agitated or pace around or motivated. I haven't weighed myself. I will weigh myself in a week's time.
      20:32 12/06/2016
      I did weigh myself today (I was curious and got a little carried away) and I actually didn't gain any weight. I haven't taken my Abilify pill yet because I'm going to try taking it at night time to see if it helps me sleep.
      12:58 16/06/2016 
      Sorry I did not update my diary for a few days. I have been feeling a bit more stable and motivated and positive and I don't know if this is just placebo!!!! 
      There has been no weight gain as far as I'm concerned. No appetite increase. I had a blood test on 10/06/2016 and I just got the results and now I am going to schedule to have the same blood test to compare the results. 
      Here are the results from my blood test
      http://imgur.com/3C3vGIK
      I will keep this diary going 
    • By soulgr4ffiti4rtist
      Hi guys...so I had a suggestion from a comment on a vlog I did of someone suggesting I ask my Dr about switching to a combo of Zyprexa and Abilify. I currently take Risperdal and Abilify (along with Lamictal and Effexor) and the cocktail is NOT WORKING  I recently started the Abilify at 5mg, then 10mg and I seem to be rapid cycling with a growing amount of paranoia and anxiety. It was suggested by the commenter that the Zyprexa will help the anxiety and some of the psychosis I'm experiencing (voices, shadow people, paranoia) and the Abilify will keep me from falling asleep all day and help with negative symptoms associated with my Schizoaffective Disorder. Please give any advice you have about either or both of these meds... I can't see my Dr any sooner than the 15th and that is about 6 days away. We have tried, and maxed out, pretty much every other antipsychotic out there and nothing lasts for long. We tried Zyprexa alone about two years ago but I COULD NOT FUNCTION....I was falling asleep trying to work, drive, etc. Not good. Don't know if it would have taken care of the symptoms had I given it a longer run, but I couldn't lose my job and so I dropped it. Anyone try it and had the sleepiness go away after your body got used to it, like a few days or so?? I'd like to try it again as I've heard some good things...other than weight gain which is hard for me as a recovering anorexic...ugh.
      I need feedback pwetty pwetty pwease