CrazyBoards.org

eldorado

Worst book you ever finished

Gearhead, do you like Dostoevsky? One of my friends has a theory that you like either Tolstoy, or Dostoevsky, but not both. I haaaaate Dostoevsky, but I really like Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is actually my favorite of his! I've read it more than twice. :)

Uh-oh! I just downloaded, after a long wait, the first 50 shades book. I guess we will see what happens! My SIL loves them, but I guess we will see!

I'm neutral on Dostoevsky-my husband loves Crime and Punishment, but I'm lukewarm about it. I find his life story more interesting than his books! I like Pushkin's short stories, but the Russian writer I love most is Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Excuse me. I need to go read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich again.

Come to think of it, Solzhenitsyn had a might interesting life, too.

I agree with you about The Fountain Head. What makes the book kind of bad for me, other than that I don't personally object to collectivism, is that the writing style is not particularly good or interesting. It makes it hard to get through such a longwinded book.

Yeah, I remember thinking that in addition to what I thought was poor writing and clearly Mary Sue characters, just how far her notion of individual Objectivism would take her if she was dropped off by herself in the middle of the forest in the Yukon. All of a sudden Collectivism doesn't sound like such repulsive notion.

I'm not going to say that Ayn Rand was a great writer, but how exactly would Collectivism help anyone who was dropped off "by herself" in the middle of the forest in the Yukon? Sounds like Individualism or self-sufficiency would come in more handy there. Just sayin.

Edited by stormy13

I guess im the only one here that likes ayn rand haha. Must be the libertarian in me.

If I had a problem with the fountianhead it would be that the main female character got raped by the main male character than just fell in love with him like "its all cool"

I find the bible a bit of a snooze fest does that count?

Im not intellectual enough for this conversation.

Edited by WinglessFaery

The entire twilight series, yeah all of them. I have no excuse. My ex was mad into it.

Oh yeah, I guess I blocked out that first twilight book. I did read the whole thing. AND saw the movie. Ugh. I blame my daughter.

The worst book I've finished would probably be Monkey Bridge.  I had to read it in my senior year of high school.  It was the more boring, pointless load of drivel I have ever read.  All it was was a 300-page long ramble about how the backwards farming culture of early 20th century Vietnam was vastly preferable to that of the Western world, not-so-cleverly disguised as a story.

I hate Frankenstein for some reason. There are some that I enjoyed, but they were bad books: all the Black Jewels trilogy, but the three books outside the original trilogy kick ass. [whispers] The whole of the Twilight series (don't ask.) [/whispers]

I can't believe that there are people out there who hate Anna Karenina.

I have read two by Dostoevsky and only on by Tolstoy. I liked Crime and Punishment but The Brothers Karamazov was not really to my liking. 

I found "The Fountainhead" oddly transformative in high school. Once I aged a bit, and read up on Rand's politics, my views changed. I looooved "A Day in the Life of Ivan Denosivich." As for books that sucked hard, I agree about "Catcher in the Rye." So goddamn whiny. Also, I must add "Lord of the Flies." Hated it.

Anthem by Ayn Rand. I hated it. so. much. People tell me I would like The Fountainhead better, but it's ten times as long, and I find Rand's ideas completely repugnant, so no thank you.

Probably "Old Man and the Sea" when I was like 14. I would say "Atlas Shrugged" as well, but... I never finished it. It was just too damned long. I actually liked "Anthem" and but, then again, I was also about 14 when I read it and didn't know about Ayn Rand's politics. (I never even attempted "Fountainhead.") I'd be curious how I'd like those books now, 16 years later. I suspect I'd probably dislike "Anthem" and maybe have some sort of distant appreciation for "Old Man and the Sea".... though I don't think I EVER want to attempt to read that one again to found out.

toss up between    she's come undone   and  a tale of two cities

both books were horrifyingly awful in their own way

oh one book I didn't even make it 30pages into was  I think called the   Mason Dixon Line or something - there were so many grammatical errors that as a middle school kid I was picking them out.........my parents tried to read it as well  and yea none of us could stomach the idiocy

More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel.

I loathe Wally Lamb. And Jonathan Franzen.

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

Worst that I've read to the bitter end - A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston, Fury by Salman Rushdie, The Time Travellers's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.

On the other hand, I love Jonathan Franzen and Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon. Good thing we have so many books in the world to choose from!

toss up between    she's come undone 

I thought I was the only one who hated that book. It seems like everyone always raves about it, and Wally Lamb. It stuck with me, but not in a good way.

To the poster who said The Old Man and the Sea, I agree with you. That book was torture in high school. And some of my favorite books are by Hemingway.

I hated Catcher in the Rye as a student, but I really came to love it after teaching it. The framework is a little chaotic, and there are crucial plot points sort of hidden in the story if you don't pay attention (which bored students usually don't). But I really already liked JD Salinger, especially the Glass family stories. I wrote about "A Perfect Day for Banana Fish" for the essay for my college application.

Oh yeah, Infinite Jest, by David Foster Wallace. It was soporific. And so, my literary bona fides crumble around me.

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood. There are no words.

Then, anything by Nadine Gordimer I was forced to read at university.  Most pretentiously boring and overrated Novel Prize winner in existence.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.  That book sucked shit.